Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Highly considering a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:59 AM
demono1191
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Highly considering a Z06

Whats up everyone! I was hoping if I could get a few of your opinions on my current dilemma. I have been a Benz guy all my life owning 4 of them and 2 AMG's. Currently I own a '11 Mercedes E63 AMG with every bolt on available, but lately (and when I say lately I mean for like the past 4 months lol) I've been eyeing the C6 Z06. Spending a stupid number of hours on these forums and seeing all the experience most of you guys have with these cars, I was hoping to get a second opinion on weather to sell my AMG for Z06. Many thank guys!
Old 02-08-2018, 11:54 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

It's all about personal preference and only you can decide that. If you spent months on the Z06 forum I assume you know about the head issue? Yah, yah, it's only about one percent who have drop a valve and many here have high miles C6 Z's with no issues and you will or should have ran into the discussions going back and forth about it. If you haven't, this would be the perfect time to educate yourself about it. I have an 08 Z06 purchased this time last year and love the hell out of it, so I'm bias, but if you need a vote go C6 Z06. Mine didn't have the heads fixed when I purchased it with 23K miles on it. However, it was the first thing I modified using American Heritage Performance LS7 package 4 cylinder heads @ $1358 + freight + $1000 core charge which is refundable when you send you old heads back. I mention this cause you mentioned having every bolt on available for you AMG and the heads is where you are going to start to have a solid Z06. Don't limit yourself to only looking at Z06 for sale that have addressed the heads. I preferred to find a low mile one that didn't, so I could pick options I wanted for my setup. If you are anything like me, buying a used car is not mine until I add what I want on it. Plus, you will know the history of how the car was driven since heads or other mods were done to it. Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by itomh:
Cooner (02-11-2018), JerriVette (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 12:07 PM
demono1191
Intermediate

Originally Posted by itomh
It's all about personal preference and only you can decide that. If you spent months on the Z06 forum I assume you know about the head issue? Yah, yah, it's only about one percent who have drop a valve and many here have high miles C6 Z's with no issues and you will or should have ran into the discussions going back and forth about it. If you haven't, this would be the perfect time to educate yourself about it. I have an 08 Z06 purchased this time last year and love the hell out of it, so I'm bias, but if you need a vote go C6 Z06. Mine didn't have the heads fixed when I purchased it with 23K miles on it. However, it was the first thing I modified using American Heritage Performance LS7 package 4 cylinder heads @ $1358 + freight + $1000 core charge which is refundable when you send you old heads back. I mention this cause you mentioned having every bolt on available for you AMG and the heads is where you are going to start to have a solid Z06. Don't limit yourself to only looking at Z06 for sale that have addressed the heads. I preferred to find a low mile one that didn't, so I could pick options I wanted for my setup. If you are anything like me, buying a used car is not mine until I add what I want on it. Plus, you will know the history of how the car was driven since heads or other mods were done to it. Good luck!

Thanks for the input! I am aware of the issues with the heads and am factoring the price of them getting fixed into my total budget. I'm currently playing the waiting game and I'm sure one will pop that will make me pull the trigger. I honestly never considered a Vette in general till I got completely walked on by one and then heard it idling at the stop light. OMG that sound. Going to keep searching the forums and auto trader and other sites till I find the one.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 01:06 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Pretty sure your E63 is NA...so if thats what you prefer, then get the C6Z with a 7.0L 427. Awesome engine once the heads are addressed. Sounds like you'll be going the modded route as well based your current vehicle. Plenty of proven parts combos on here.

But...if NA and/or a 7.0L 427 isn't as big of a deal to you; have you considered looking at a ZR1? Unbelievable deals out there on cars that were once $115K, and these cars respond very well to mods.
REDZED2 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 01:36 PM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by demono1191
Thanks for the input! I am aware of the issues with the heads and am factoring the price of them getting fixed into my total budget. I'm currently playing the waiting game and I'm sure one will pop that will make me pull the trigger. I honestly never considered a Vette in general till I got completely walked on by one and then heard it idling at the stop light. OMG that sound. Going to keep searching the forums and auto trader and other sites till I find the one.
I'm running Akrapovic Evo exhaust, B&B headers, CAI, AHP heads milled .20" on my Z06. Great sound, I don't think I'm on the neighborhood **** list for loudness, but my buddy is running almost the same setup except Kooks header I believe on his Z06, but with a mild cam. I can tell you the cam can makes it louder, maybe too much for me, but I love the lope. Not sure what that Z06 you ran into had on it, but my buddy had Corsa's, Kooks headers before his cam and that thing was loud, like your neighbors will hate you loud. He eventually swapped the Corsa's for Akrapovic and mild cam. Either find one that has everything you want on it or find a near stock one and do what you want. As far as exhausts are concerned, if you like the option of being able to control how loud and drone, you may want to consider something that keeps the NPP functional. Don't get me wrong, I love loud, but the drone at highway speeds can get old real quick, notice all the Corsa's up for sale or wanting to trade. Again, preference.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:42 PM
demono1191
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Pretty sure your E63 is NA...so if thats what you prefer, then get the C6Z with a 7.0L 427. Awesome engine once the heads are addressed. Sounds like you'll be going the modded route as well based your current vehicle. Plenty of proven parts combos on here.

But...if NA and/or a 7.0L 427 isn't as big of a deal to you; have you considered looking at a ZR1? Unbelievable deals out there on cars that were once $115K, and these cars respond very well to mods.
The 63 is NA and I do much prefer the feel of an NA motor. ZR1 are still in the 55k+ ball park while I can get a Z06 for 29-40. Getting the cheaper car and having money for mods sounds like a better route for me. Plus if I do consider a ZR1 I will definitely have to sell the 63. My goal is try and have a modded z06 and not sell the Benz, sounds crazy I know.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:54 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by demono1191
Whats up everyone! I was hoping if I could get a few of your opinions on my current dilemma. I have been a Benz guy all my life owning 4 of them and 2 AMG's. Currently I own a '11 Mercedes E63 AMG with every bolt on available, but lately (and when I say lately I mean for like the past 4 months lol) I've been eyeing the C6 Z06. Spending a stupid number of hours on these forums and seeing all the experience most of you guys have with these cars, I was hoping to get a second opinion on weather to sell my AMG for Z06. Many thank guys!

i cant say I didn’t love my z06 stupid fast fun light car but loosing a piston the other day was a little of a bummer knowing it was mostly the tune. So I got some hatred towards my tuner but maybe it wasn’t so many variables but if you get these cars done right with a serious HCI I’m telling you it’s a rocket ship!
demono1191 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 02:16 PM
demono1191
Intermediate

Originally Posted by itomh
I'm running Akrapovic Evo exhaust, B&B headers, CAI, AHP heads milled .20" on my Z06. Great sound, I don't think I'm on the neighborhood **** list for loudness, but my buddy is running almost the same setup except Kooks header I believe on his Z06, but with a mild cam. I can tell you the cam can makes it louder, maybe too much for me, but I love the lope. Not sure what that Z06 you ran into had on it, but my buddy had Corsa's, Kooks headers before his cam and that thing was loud, like your neighbors will hate you loud. He eventually swapped the Corsa's for Akrapovic and mild cam. Either find one that has everything you want on it or find a near stock one and do what you want. As far as exhausts are concerned, if you like the option of being able to control how loud and drone, you may want to consider something that keeps the NPP functional. Don't get me wrong, I love loud, but the drone at highway speeds can get old real quick, notice all the Corsa's up for sale or wanting to trade. Again, preference.
Your setup sounds pretty similar to what I'm looking for. My neighbors already hate me lol. The Benz has catless Long tubes, its dumb loud.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:19 PM
demono1191
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 427V8BB

i cant say I didn’t love my z06 stupid fast fun light car but loosing a piston the other day was a little of a bummer knowing it was mostly the tune. So I got some hatred towards my tuner but maybe it wasn’t so many variables but if you get these cars done right with a serious HCI I’m telling you it’s a rocket ship!
Gonna need to find a good shop here in Jersey lol. Dont want any pistons blowing on me. But then again, if I do buy the Z, it will be a life long project car I feel. I've always loved the C6 since I was child, but I somehow tripped over a branch that said Mercedes-AMG on it lol.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:00 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

I have a 940 whp , Powerglide C6 Corvette and can tell you I still enjoy driving my H/C/I Z06 a lot. I've done a lil weight reduction with it and just the feel of high NA HP and light weight is a winning combo.
demono1191 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

The C6 Z06 is a special car. One to be respected. It is not perfect, but if an owner has the patience for it's drawbacks, he will be rewarded with a truly amazing supercar with an excellent smiles per mile payback.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:31 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I concur with Josh B... The C6Z is a great platform in stock form or BUILT... Pick your poison... Welcome to the club.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Spartan07
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

C6Z is one of the greatest cars ever made. Combine its light weight with a super responsive NA motor and you have an absolutely amazing and fun car. Modify them and you enter another realm, 600+whp and less than 3100lbs can net you a car that runs high 9's, is very reliable and can go around corners like nothing else for the price!!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:45 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

It is Chevy shitebox with terrible build quality next to an AMG. I've tracked with some serious AMG cars, they are very fast, and you can drive it around town without the Corvette mystic that only old people own and wax them. Z06 on the track is pretty serious weapon, decent brakes with right pads, 3100 lbs, 427 motor that is amazing after the heads are taken care of, with a dry sump motor and the price is right. Like a AMG, they typically have been very well cared for, weren't daily drivers and can be found in great shape with low miles and they have to be close to reaching a depreciation low. Seems like more owners now are younger now that the car is 10 years old and makes for an awesome HPDE track or drag race platform ride. AMG has to cost more to maintain where as everyone has a aftermarket part for a Corvete which is great. Ive owned/raced Porsche/BMW/Camaro, but the 427/6spd is awesome.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:37 PM
demono1191
Intermediate

Thank you everyone for your replies! I've taken everything into consideration and more than likely will be pulling a trigger on a Z once I find the proper spec I'm looking for. The hunt begins!
Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 PM
bobandc
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure I'd refer to the ZO6 as a Chevy shitbox, but it certainly doesn't match the quality of the Mercedes. Be prepare for some annoying issues, such as the quality of the leather. As far a fun factor goes, you'll love the Z.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Matt47FL
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The last fun car I had Before getting my 09 Z06 was a 2010 C63, All around that was my favorite fast car I have ever owned. The reason for that is how versitle it was, even with headers and a tune on the C63 it still a really nice car to drive (other than cold starts), the wife and I would drive it to a nice dinner or I could take it drag strip and it was so much fun to drive however the Z06 is an absolute monster and I love it, I can't leave anything alone like most people on here and I wasted no time addressing the head issue and had a cam, mamo msd, nw102, and injectors intstalled plus the car already had headers and a cai when I bought it. If you like the M156 engine you will love the LS7. Be patient and find a nice low mileage 08+ Z06 with the better trans, since you are in NJ I would look up Race Proven Motorsports in New Castle, DE and let them install their H/C package and don't look back. They did the upgrades to my car and tons of other C6 Z06's

Get notified of new replies

To Highly considering a Z06

Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 AM
c4p
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=demono1191;1596548300]Whats up everyone! I was hoping if I could get a few of your opinions on my current dilemma. I have been a Benz guy all my life owning 4 of them and 2 AMG's. Currently I own a '11 Mercedes E63 AMG with every bolt on available, but lately (and when I say lately I mean for like the past 4 months lol) I've been eyeing the C6 Z06. Spending a stupid number of hours on these forums and seeing all the experience most of you guys have with these cars, I was hoping to get a second opinion on weather to sell my AMG for Z06. Many thank guys![/QUOTE

Both great cars..you're going to love the vette but miss the benz..having both would be a killer combo..
demono1191 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:56 AM
GettnBetter
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The 427 is nuts, sounds nuts too. More potential than a 2018 Z. I picked up a 2007 with around 20k miles, car was baby'd. It was a bouncy mess. New Michelin's and DRM shocks turned it into a street killer.
demono1191 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:04 AM
GettnBetter
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bobandc
I'm not sure I'd refer to the ZO6 as a Chevy shitbox, but it certainly doesn't match the quality of the Mercedes. Be prepare for some annoying issues, such as the quality of the leather. As far a fun factor goes, you'll love the Z.
I agree. The zo6 is like a viper. It's noisy, creeks, rattles and burps sometimes. Thats what we like lol
demono1191 (02-09-2018)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Highly considering a Z06