Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Available in Z06 sizes!

 
Old 02-12-2018, 12:37 PM
  #1  
rickyb
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rickyb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 348
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Available in Z06 sizes!

Just thought I would let everyone know! I love my Super Sports! I'm sure these are even better. This is the 18/19 setup.
rickyb is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 01:33 PM
  #2  
LS1Steve
CF Senior Member
 
LS1Steve's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 323
Liked 52 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Better how? UTQG is same (300AA A), except they are nearly $300 more for a set compared to MPSS...
LS1Steve is offline  
The following users liked this post: LS1Steve
z06cop (02-16-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:45 PM
  #3  
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AzDave47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,273
Liked 444 Times in 400 Posts
Default

Good to see they are available in our 18/19 OEM sizes. M markets them as a better overall street tire than the PSS, but get the PSS if you are going to use your street tires on the track. I have track tires so these would be my next street purchase, but tht's likely 4 years away.
AzDave47 is offline  
Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 PM
  #4  
nerz
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 108
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
Good to see they are available in our 18/19 OEM sizes. M markets them as a better overall street tire than the PSS, but get the PSS if you are going to use your street tires on the track. I have track tires so these would be my next street purchase, but tht's likely 4 years away.
Why would you get get the PSS over 4S if you're going to track it? Just the cost difference?
nerz is offline  
Old 02-15-2018, 04:29 PM
  #5  
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AzDave47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,273
Liked 444 Times in 400 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nerz View Post
Why would you get get the PSS over 4S if you're going to track it? Just the cost difference?
M indicates the PSS will do better/stand up better for track use. That only matters for those that do occasional track events and want to use their street tires for those track events. Those of us that have extra wheels and tires would go a different way, with the PS4S for street only and the other wheels and either full track tires or DOT legal track tires that we could drive to the track, run them and drive home. I am in that second group.

Also lately some of the PSS have been on very special pricing, well below PS4S. My buddy bought 325/30-19 PSS from Tire Rack for just over $200 per tire.

Last edited by AzDave47; 02-15-2018 at 04:30 PM.
AzDave47 is offline  
Old 02-15-2018, 10:13 PM
  #6  
rickyb
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rickyb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 348
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
M indicates the PSS will do better/stand up better for track use. That only matters for those that do occasional track events and want to use their street tires for those track events. Those of us that have extra wheels and tires would go a different way, with the PS4S for street only and the other wheels and either full track tires or DOT legal track tires that we could drive to the track, run them and drive home. I am in that second group.

Also lately some of the PSS have been on very special pricing, well below PS4S. My buddy bought 325/30-19 PSS from Tire Rack for just over $200 per tire.
Interesting. Where did you read pss is better on the track? I must have missed that!
rickyb is offline  
Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 PM
  #7  
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AzDave47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,273
Liked 444 Times in 400 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
Interesting. Where did you read pss is better on the track? I must have missed that!
I don't have a copy of it, but it was in a Michelin release, during a discussion on the introduction of the new PS4S.
AzDave47 is offline  
Old 02-16-2018, 05:04 AM
  #8  
z06cop
CF Member
 
z06cop's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Location: Liberty Twp Ohio
Posts: 67
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
M indicates the PSS will do better/stand up better for track use. That only matters for those that do occasional track events and want to use their street tires for those track events. Those of us that have extra wheels and tires would go a different way, with the PS4S for street only and the other wheels and either full track tires or DOT legal track tires that we could drive to the track, run them and drive home. I am in that second group.



Also lately some of the PSS have been on very special pricing, well below PS4S. My buddy bought 325/30-19 PSS from Tire Rack for just over $200 per tire.
I just had mined delivered...$1004

z06cop is offline  
Old 02-16-2018, 09:52 AM
  #9  
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AzDave47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,273
Liked 444 Times in 400 Posts
Default

Good deal on your PSS purchase.

TR posted price for OEM 18/19 is $268/$285 for PSS and $285/$358 for PS4S, but I would make the decision on whether it would be a street only tire or one I would track a few times per year and didn't have a 2nd set of wheels. It will probably be another 3 years before I am in the market of new street tires, so who knows what will be the best then.
AzDave47 is offline  
Old 02-20-2018, 07:05 AM
  #10  
ATC399
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ATC399's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,971
Liked 40 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Bummer I got the OEM 19/20 on my 13Z....love the 4Ss on my Focus RS
ATC399 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 PM
  #11  
centennialGS
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Posts: 236
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ATC399 View Post
Bummer I got the OEM 19/20 on my 13Z....love the 4Ss on my Focus RS
what tire size are you running? I also have OEM 19/20 and don't want run-flats, and don't want continentals again
centennialGS is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 PM
  #12  
Cman01
CF Senior Member
 
Cman01's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 1,519
Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Default

PSS pricing is better now because it is being replaced by the PS4S so they are just trying to get rid of the inventory, assuming that you can still get PSS tires in the size you want over the 4S.

I will be driving on 4S's this coming driving season, if I could get PSS tires locally I probably would've gone that route. I am running a 19/19 setup (275/30/19 F and stock rear tire size). 285/30/19 size is NA on PS4S.

Tony

Last edited by Cman01; 01-04-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Cman01 is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 09:50 PM
  #13  
Mark Leger
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I just picked up a full set of MPSSs off eBay brand new for $956 shipped. I was going to NT01s, but saving $500 means I'll just have to wait until the end of the year when they go on sale.

Last edited by Mark Leger; 01-13-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Mark Leger is online now  
Old 01-14-2019, 10:30 AM
  #14  
Busa196
CF Senior Member
 
Busa196's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Pearland Tx
Posts: 3,262
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Man, I can't believe more people haven't had the death wobble issues that I've had with the MPSS's- on 2 different sets now. I'm now trying to determine if anyone with the 4S's had experienced this problem. It's a shame because I absolutely love the MPSS o

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-our-cars.html
Busa196 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 10:34 AM
  #15  
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AzDave47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,273
Liked 444 Times in 400 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Busa196 View Post
Man, I can't believe more people haven't had the death wobble issues that I've had with the MPSS's- on 2 different sets now. I'm now trying to determine if anyone with the 4S's had experienced this problem. It's a shame because I absolutely love the MPSS o

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-our-cars.html
some have had the problem, others have not.

My buddy had it bad on his Grand Sport. I haven't had any issues although the first set I got had to be re-balanced 3 times, then no problem.
AzDave47 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 10:49 AM
  #16  
freddyvette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Posts: 603
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
M indicates the PSS will do better/stand up better for track use. That only matters for those that do occasional track events and want to use their street tires for those track events. Those of us that have extra wheels and tires would go a different way, with the PS4S for street only and the other wheels and either full track tires or DOT legal track tires that we could drive to the track, run them and drive home. I am in that second group.

Also lately some of the PSS have been on very special pricing, well below PS4S. My buddy bought 325/30-19 PSS from Tire Rack for just over $200 per tire.
I've had the opposite experience. I went down from 285 PSS to 275 PS4 and I have a much easier turn in with the new tires. I'm only aware of the fact that the PSS might exhibit a little bit more feedback at the limit of it's lateral traction capabilities, whereas the PS4 will transition from grip to slip more abruptly. However the PS4s turn the same lap times or better.

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
some have had the problem, others have not.

My buddy had it bad on his Grand Sport. I haven't had any issues although the first set I got had to be re-balanced 3 times, then no problem.

Originally Posted by Busa196 View Post
Man, I can't believe more people haven't had the death wobble issues that I've had with the MPSS's- on 2 different sets now. I'm now trying to determine if anyone with the 4S's had experienced this problem. It's a shame because I absolutely love the MPSS o

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-our-cars.html
I had the death wobble on 2 different brand new sets of 345 MPSS. As soon as I went back down to 325 it fixed the issue. Additionally, I haven't had the problem with the new 325 PS4
freddyvette is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 03:22 PM
  #17  
centennialGS
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Posts: 236
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mark Leger View Post
I just picked up a full set of MPSSs off eBay brand new for $956 shipped. I was going to NT01s, but saving $500 means I'll just have to wait until the end of the year when they go on sale.
That's a hell of a deal. Im assuming its the stock size ZP's? Do they still have that deal available?
centennialGS is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:10 PM
  #18  
Dirty Howie
CF Senior Member
 
Dirty Howie's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 26,046
Liked 178 Times in 141 Posts
Default

I looked at the PS4 last year and determined that they were actually narrower than the MPSS ............. anyone else notice??


DH
Dirty Howie is online now  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:14 PM
  #19  
freddyvette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Posts: 603
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie View Post
I looked at the PS4 last year and determined that they were actually narrower than the MPSS ............. anyone else notice??


DH
Not by much my wheels. I looked at that as I was mid-swapping them at the tire shop. And this was going from 285 to 275! what did change more drastically was the height.

Last edited by freddyvette; 01-14-2019 at 04:14 PM.
freddyvette is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:24 PM
  #20  
centennialGS
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Posts: 236
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by freddyvette View Post
Not by much my wheels. I looked at that as I was mid-swapping them at the tire shop. And this was going from 285 to 275! what did change more drastically was the height.
Post some pics of your car with the tires please. Need to see how they look on our cars before spending the dough. Ty in advance
centennialGS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Available in Z06 sizes!


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: