Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Would you consider this car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 PM
chatcher
Thick Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Would you consider this car?

It seems like a good deal but how would you know if there wasn't an outstanding lien even though its not reported stolen?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Chevro...ZafkYc&vxp=mtr
Old 02-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Hmmm interesting, it looks like it's been sitting for a very long time. Is that dust on the dashboard? Subscribed to read the comments.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:21 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm not a fan of low mileage cars, but the lien (or lack of) will show up on the pink slip.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Nope, absolutely not.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:14 PM
chatcher
Thick Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nuke61
I'm not a fan of low mileage cars, but the lien (or lack of) will show up on the pink slip.
This is a bill of sale only situation. The buyer will be responsible for acquiring title after sale so it may show up after the winner takes possession and then what? I also can't for the life of me see how someone would abandon this car in a storage locker.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

So 3-4 months later, after trying to get a title, and the sellers are long gone with your 30k, and you finally figure out it is a scam, what do you do then?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:26 PM
chatcher
Thick Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Unreal
So 3-4 months later, after trying to get a title, and the sellers are long gone with your 30k, and you finally figure out it is a scam, what do you do then?
I don't know if scam is the right word for this situation. If they the bought it out of an abandoned storage locker are they now responsible for any liens that are on the vehicle? Also does the storage facility have the right to sell this vehicle for storage fees alone? Even at a 2-3 years of unpaid storage this car is worth more than the fee's. I know homes that go up for sheriff sale, you become responsible for any liens if you buy the house out of back taxes. Worse if the car is paid for how can it be sold by anyone other than the owner? I'm just curious more than anything if this could be done or not.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:40 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

I'll bet there is a lien on the car. If there is, the bank is the owner and can repossess it if they find it. You also wouldn't be able to register it without title. No title in hand , don't buy.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:42 PM
MOTOWN Z
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Bottom line NO title NO SALE!!! they should have acquired a title no matter the situation , if the original owner abandoned the car they would have to go to the DMV and apply for an Abandon vehicle title.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 PM
chatcher
Thick Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MOTOWN Z
Bottom line NO title NO SALE!!! they should have acquired a title no matter the situation , if the original owner abandoned the car they would have to go to the DMV and apply for an Abandon vehicle title.
I'm not an attorney but I was thinking the same thing. I wonder where the fault traces back to in this situation. I would imagine the storage facility should not have sold the car until they had applied for the abandoned title but like I said before I'm no attorney. Can a storage facility sell a vehicle that's been abandoned with a bill of sale?

Last edited by chatcher; 02-12-2018 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (02-16-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:17 PM
MOTOWN Z
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chatcher
I'm not an attorney but I was thinking the same thing. I wonder where the fault traces back to in this situation. I would imagine the storage facility should not have sold the car until they had applied for the abandoned title but like I said before I'm no attorney. Can a storage facility sell a vehicle that's been abandoned with a bill of sale?
They can only sell the vehicle after sending the owner several certified letters stating the unit is going to auction , if the owner fails to recover the unit they can proceed with auction , most states require a title to be secured for sale of a vehicle while others do not , however if there is a lien on the vehicle it cannot be legally sold as it is property of the lien holder.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:48 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

you should be able to call a Georgia dmv and give them the vin and they can tell you the status of the title.
then call your state's dmv and ask them what it would take to get it registered in your name
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (02-16-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

No way would I plunk a wad of cash down on something like that. Just to many reasons you could end up with less then nothing. If the car was put in there to hide it from the repo man, the bank is still owed money on it and it belongs to them. Could be a listed asset in a legal battle that the owner lost. Then there is the chance that it belonged to a military person who put it in storage before going over seas and never made it back. In that case I would want to see the car go to his/her family. They have lost enough. If there was no note on the car I would expect to find it in a big beautiful heated garage someplace not some fleebag storage bin someplace. My guess it it was being hidden.

I think the rules vary from state to state but have seen storage facility auctions where you bid X on the contents before they cut the lock. It's a crap shoot. The owner of the storage facility only has to post a legal notice in the local news papers for 90 days before the abandoned storage bin can be cleaned out/auctioned off. Think about this, what would happen if you went to one of these auctions, bid a thousand dollars and won the auction. You crack open the container and find a thousand pounds of illegal drugs. It would be immediately confiscated and you'd be out of a grand.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:30 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Current bid is at $30K with 3 days left, it will provably escalate to another $5K to $10K before it's all over. I would walk away as fast as I can on this on as there are plenty of mid $30K Z06's with proper paperwork to be had.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:05 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Not only that, I rather have one with 10k miles than 720. The car obviously hasn't been maintained. All the fluids, tires, and possible a lot of the seals will need to be replaced. A car that is started and driven is going to be much better shape than one sitting around for 10+ years. Valve springs would be at risk, along with many other items.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:14 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by chatcher
This is a bill of sale only situation. The buyer will be responsible for acquiring title after sale so it may show up after the winner takes possession and then what?
Then what? Then you're screwed, that's what.

Let someone else deal with this, there are plenty of low mileage C6Z's if that's what you want.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:20 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Plenty of "LEGIT" CF members selling theirs with clear titles in their name... Why even mess with something like this... No thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Would you consider this car?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

My point above was you don't know if it is a scam or not, and by the time you chase the paper work down, they are long gone with $30k+.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:09 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Absolutely not. First of all the condition sucks. It's missing an emblem, the front bumper needs to be replaced, and I'm sure the paint is in terrible shape.

Second, IF the car has a lien then the bank will come get it no matter who the current owner is.

Third, if you are able to get a new title, doesn't that show up on the history report? That will decrease the value of the car.

Fourth, it's "never been registered" yet it has tinted windows, smoked side markers and smoked tail lights. Strange?

Not worth the risk, especially at $30k.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:28 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

If they want to sell it, they need to get the title first. That is on them to do a legal sale.

Quick Reply: Would you consider this car?