Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Shifter RATTLE in 2nd Gear on 06 Z06!!!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:46 AM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Shifter RATTLE in 2nd Gear on 06 Z06!!!

Is this a problem on Z06's when shifter is in second gear??? I am not liking the fact the it rattles sometimes when I have my hand on the shift ****. Anybody else have this problem and is GM fixing it???
Old 07-27-2007, 03:06 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh boy, here we go (therapy time for me).
You have the dreaded shifter rattle. Some 2006 and 2007 have them and some don't, no fix from GM yet, although we heard from Bowling Green that a fix is in place and waiting on the supplier to make the part available, and then GM will issue a TSB (Tech Service Bulletin). Believe me I know, (I'm in therapy over this ) I've been following this and communicating with Bowling Green for about 10 month now. You may want to do a search, I have posted the pertinent replies from Bowling Green concerning this issue. Interim solution: Buy and install the MOMO Aluminium shift **** (2 minute job), other members ahd success with other metal ***** also. A pain to have the rattle, yes, embarrasing, yes, and it's a shame GM is taking forever to get the fix to dealers .
Old 07-27-2007, 03:09 AM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's an issue; but, not really a "problem". Doesn't seem to damage anything that is...

Some people say different gear oil; some change the shifter ****; some change the whole shifter...

I just wait until the tranny/shifter warms up after 20-30 minutes and the rattle goes away.

Here are some other threads.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:36 AM
jswatek
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 111 Posts

As far as GM is concerned they fixed it with the 08 tranny.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:06 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilddr805
Is this a problem on Z06's when shifter is in second gear??? I am not liking the fact the it rattles sometimes when I have my hand on the shift ****. Anybody else have this problem and is GM fixing it???
Keep your hand off the **** when you're not shifting, or get a heavier **** - for now, those are the choices.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 AM
0TJ@RPMtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have noted this in some instances. We do not have a new 08 TR-6060 transmission that is used in the new corvettes as of yet, but we have one from the GT500, they are definately a new transmission, a lot of thought was put into the revision of the T-56. They seem to be very stout transmissions. As soon as we have more information available we will not hesitate to let everyone know.

T.J.

Last edited by TJ@RPMtransmissions; 07-27-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Dizz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem from day one and just had the dealer replace the shifter. No more rattle!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:47 PM
LWM
7th Gear

Same thing, shifter rattle, when cold or cool, disappears under normal driving conditions when the engine and drive train get up to temperature.

However, I have noticed a bit of shifter rattle in 3rd gear at 6,500 - 7,000 rpms even when up to temp and all that.

3,500 kms on car

Hmmm

LWM
Old 07-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have a relationship with a tech at your dealership he can order you the new shifter without the TSB. The shifter has a new part number as of April & the parts guy can get it.

Joe
Old 07-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Stick
Racer

I'm not suggesting that everybody trade their '06 Z06 for an '08 but, for information sake, I had an '06 that rattled and now have an '08 Z06 that not only doesn't rattle but has a shorter, firmer and totally quiet shifter. Huge improvement...
Old 07-28-2007, 01:01 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Joezone914
If you have a relationship with a tech at your dealership he can order you the new shifter without the TSB. The shifter has a new part number as of April & the parts guy can get it.

Joe
I wouldn't take the risk without some an outside source confirmation of the new parts number, the "parts guy" might not be that smart and may order you the same shifter assembly that you currently have, who wants their Chevy dealer ripping into their center console TWICE. I'm axiously waiting for the TSB
Old 07-28-2007, 01:08 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

By the way, to the original poster here's the latest from Bowling Green Assembly Plant:
... the difference was in the shifter assembly itself (by swapping the shifters, good car became "bad" and vice versa), tore apart the shifters and found the difference to be internal (small gap allowing enough room for shifter to vibrate at certain RPM's),
change design to prohibit any gap, contracts assigned and paid to supplier. Supplier gears up and builds to design change evaluation of new design shows shifters are corrected building sufficient stock to supply plant and Service organization. The bulletin (already written) will be released and the dealers will have access to the replacement shifters. The good news is that the new shifter FIXES THE PROBLEM.

... we are not "working on a fix"... we are working on getting the fix out there.

Regards,
Old 07-28-2007, 05:27 AM
Dizz
Pro

Originally Posted by vetteship
I wouldn't take the risk without some an outside source confirmation of the new parts number, the "parts guy" might not be that smart and may order you the same shifter assembly that you currently have, who wants their Chevy dealer ripping into their center console TWICE. I'm axiously waiting for the TSB
Then shift rattle and waitl Mine is fixed. Part number 258223571
Old 07-28-2007, 06:37 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 388 Likes on 193 Posts

yeah...doesn't it sound great!

I love that sound, a real race car for a change. Put in a Hurst and THEN tell me what you hear............
Old 07-28-2007, 06:57 PM
markbrown
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
yeah...doesn't it sound great!

I love that sound, a real race car for a change. Put in a Hurst and THEN tell me what you hear............
Old 07-28-2007, 10:47 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dizz
Then shift rattle and waitl Mine is fixed. Part number 258223571
Thanks, I'll ask tomorrow. How strange, if the parts is available and according to the Bowling Green feedback center the TSB is already written, what the heck gives on not issuing the TSB
Old 07-29-2007, 02:08 AM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It worked fine for me back in May. New shifter was found by parts guy who noticed updated part number for shifter and ordered that. It was installed and no more rattlle in 2nd or 4th. I also know the tech who was doing the work!

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter RATTLE in 2nd Gear on 06 Z06!!!

Old 08-06-2007, 04:43 PM
DJ'sZ
Burning Brakes

By the way, to the original poster here's the latest from Bowling Green Assembly Plant:

... the difference was in the shifter assembly itself (by swapping the shifters, good car became "bad" and vice versa), tore apart the shifters and found the difference to be internal (small gap allowing enough room for shifter to vibrate at certain RPM's),
change design to prohibit any gap, contracts assigned and paid to supplier. Supplier gears up and builds to design change evaluation of new design shows shifters are corrected building sufficient stock to supply plant and Service organization. The bulletin (already written) will be released and the dealers will have access to the replacement shifters. The good news is that the new shifter FIXES THE PROBLEM.

... we are not "working on a fix"... we are working on getting the fix out there.

Thanks, I'll ask tomorrow. How strange, if the parts is available and according to the Bowling Green feedback center the TSB is already written, what the heck gives on not issuing the TSB
Anyone have any updates on this...?? Gotta a service rep and parts girl trying to help me out here...no TSB's yet.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:59 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

There are NO TSB's but, if you have the problem there is a fix...have them order you a new shifter. In my case, they replaced the shifter and also the bolts that hold the rod to it with thicker and stronger pieces...I wish I could have taken a picture of the old and new bolts...it was like comparing Paris Hilton to Oprah ...not that I want Oprah holding my shifter together, but you get the point...
Old 08-06-2007, 10:35 PM
DJ'sZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
There are NO TSB's but, if you have the problem there is a fix...have them order you a new shifter. In my case, they replaced the shifter and also the bolts that hold the rod to it with thicker and stronger pieces...I wish I could have taken a picture of the old and new bolts...it was like comparing Paris Hilton to Oprah ...not that I want Oprah holding my shifter together, but you get the point...
Thats the plans but the part # listed in previous posts I don't believe is correct. From what the serv rep says its only suppose to have 8 numbers not 9. I'll be checking on this again tomorrow...Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Shifter RATTLE in 2nd Gear on 06 Z06!!!