Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Mamo 265 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:39 PM
CASEWORER
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Mamo 265 Heads

I know the Mamo 265 Heads are great heads and outflow a set of AHP Stage 4 Heads. My question is how much more HP is going to be made with the Mamo 265 heads over the AHP stage 4 Heads considering all else is equal BTR stage 4 cam, same compression ratio, etc.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 PM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Quite a bit more. Haven’t seen solid hp gains with AHP porting yet. Mamo heads on the other hand have numbers to back it up.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:02 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

It depends what the person pays for and cost.....Darin Morgan is number one at heads just depends what you want......Darin has cut an ls7 head in half and produced 700 plus on a full roller and race gas ls7 but then again the heads were costly in the 5k range.....I bealive the guy was lmbz on here the motor is in hiss Monte Carlo.....ss

Last edited by RamAir972003; 02-15-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:01 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeZ
Quite a bit more. Haven’t seen solid hp gains with AHP porting yet. Mamo heads on the other hand have numbers to back it up.

You mean dyno numbers? It's not like the top 10 on the fast is flooded with guys using mamo heads. As far as I'm concerned, that's real world numbers. You guys have to understand that the Stock Ls7 head is capable of 145mph+ with the right package. I have seen in person, on cars i'm involved with, 145.86mph with sebast19x and 143.01mph with AlexGz06 both using bone stock heads. Gary is another example using bone stock heads and STOCK cam and gets just shy of 140mph, we all know what a cam can do for an Ls7 so its not hard to believe picking up 5-6mph from the right cam over the stock one.

Now the Stock CNC work on the LS7 is already pretty damn good. there isn't a whole lot of power on the table and most reputable programs with have you pick up similar gains. So saying one shops head program will pick up much more over another is a bit of a stretch. Every vendor will push their product so the loudest one will get the attention. Wcch, AHP, mamo, livernois and many others all have good head programs. Pay more attention to the "package" as the heads are already great performers as is. any program will complement the right combo.
The following 2 users liked this post by rpmextra:
RobGOV-DCZ (02-15-2018), TRSCobra (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:54 AM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmextra
You mean dyno numbers? It's not like the top 10 on the fast is flooded with guys using mamo heads. As far as I'm concerned, that's real world numbers. You guys have to understand that the Stock Ls7 head is capable of 145mph+ with the right package. I have seen in person, on cars i'm involved with, 145.86mph with sebast19x and 143.01mph with AlexGz06 both using bone stock heads. Gary is another example using bone stock heads and STOCK cam and gets just shy of 140mph, we all know what a cam can do for an Ls7 so its not hard to believe picking up 5-6mph from the right cam over the stock one.

Now the Stock CNC work on the LS7 is already pretty damn good. there isn't a whole lot of power on the table and most reputable programs with have you pick up similar gains. So saying one shops head program will pick up much more over another is a bit of a stretch. Every vendor will push their product so the loudest one will get the attention. Wcch, AHP, mamo, livernois and many others all have good head programs. Pay more attention to the "package" as the heads are already great performers as is. any program will complement the right combo.
Yes. He asked about hp not trap speed. I know it correlates but I was answering his questions. Also we are comparing AHP vs MAMO heads I don’t know why you brought up others. I am looking at it as a combo, as the op stated same cam, compression etc etc. I can almost guarantee MAMO heads make more then AHP on the same setup and Dyno. Would you agree?
Old 02-15-2018, 07:29 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes. He asked about hp not trap speed. I know it correlates but I was answering his questions. Also we are comparing AHP vs MAMO heads I don’t know why you brought up others. I am looking at it as a combo, as the op stated same cam, compression etc etc. I can almost guarantee MAMO heads make more then AHP on the same setup and Dyno. Would you agree?
I bring up trap speed as opposed to dynos because dyno sheets and numbers can be tweaked and belong in the glove box to show off your friends at cars and coffee or a car show. I'm more of a track rat and real results show up on your time slip. I haven't seen anyone install one head, dyno record, and then install another to compare. If that exist post the link.
I haven't tried mamo heads so I havent put them down. I'll let you know about AHP heads in a few months though as I just put my new setup back together including the AHP program.
. I don't fully understand the hype about them. I've seen them flowed and they aren't out of this world. They're good but not in a league of their own.
I brought up others because they all make good power that's all. It's possible they make more power but unless you witnessed an unbiased test as such, not sure how you can almost guarante it. As you would likely agree, peak power is not the whole story either.
The following 2 users liked this post by rpmextra:
MTPZ06 (02-15-2018), TRSCobra (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:49 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me to see 30-50rwhp more with the TFSs.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:24 AM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Many performance shops have mentioned that Mamo heads have produced the highest hp number in a h+c package on their dyno. I believe the number is 8-10 individual tuners supporting these claims with unbiased agendas. On average I believe the delta is about 20-30 rwhp.

Keep in mind it's not only peak numbers you should be looking at. Mamo heads produce great peak flow with a small port. This in turn keeps the air velocity high producing instant tip in for explosive exhilaration. Another benefit is you can get away with more cam timing and not suffer driveability issues associated with bigger heads.

As for track results...yes people have gone fast with less. However in my opinion there are more variables at the track vs the dyno. Weight, driver and track elevation just to name a few can significantly impact your results. Dyno numbers vary as well across the country, but most shops know what the highest heads and cam package has produced on their dyno. So when a Mamo package eclipses those numbers that tells me those heads make power.

At the end of the day only you can decide if the extra cost is beneficial to you. If your building a maximum effort combo with all the supporting mods then go for it. Otherwise most ported heads and decent cam will provide you with average results...not record breaking.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:27 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmextra
. I don't fully understand the hype about them. I've seen them flowed and they aren't out of this world. They're good but not in a league of their own.
The Mamo heads (Trick Flow) have really good flow numbers while also having a smaller port size than heads with similar flow numbers, which equates to better under the curve tq.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:53 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nuke61
The Mamo heads (Trick Flow) have really good flow numbers while also having a smaller port size than heads with similar flow numbers, which equates to better under the curve tq.
I'm well aware of the claims thanks. I'm not a non believer, I'm just not on the hype train. Want to see some of his builds at the track making numbers. The fastest guys want the best right? Well then let's see what they can do. If they are that good then there will be another wave of potential buyers. Nothing wrong with some real world proof to back up claims.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:31 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Just as many variables at the track. D.A., weight, driveline changes, driver.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:39 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

??
Old 02-15-2018, 12:39 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Just as many variables at the track. D.A., weight, driveline changes, driver.
If a well performing car/driver/setup decided to move towards the mamo heads is what I'm saying. I want to see a proven combo, improve because of the heads.
For example, when mamo started porting the MSD intake, guys were pulling off their fasts, installing the mamo msd and many were claiming to see 2-4mph increases. That's on the same car, same driver. That's what I'm looking for that's all.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:50 PM
RobGOV-DCZ
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Did you copy and paste this from another Mamo thread? Pretty sure I have read this from Mamo or one of his many nutswingers before. I am glad RPMEXTRA isn’t the only one who sees through the BS. Plenty of other head programs that perform equally if not better.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:55 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

A good bit. WCCH and AI heads do quite a bit better then the AHP power wise and the Mamo 265s take it further. I have a pretty large sample size to work from here as well so these are not isolated occurrences but average power over many cars. The pricing on the Mamo setups are out of some peoples budget done right though.

Last edited by lt1z; 02-15-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:56 PM
zx12rider
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a solid 30 rwhp and 35 lbs rwtq going from stock heads to ported AHP stage 4 heads, and that was with a low boosted A&A blower and stock cam and stock exhaust manifolds at the time. So that's no slouch!! But definitely wonder what the Mamo heads would do.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:04 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Your question shouldn't be in how much HP someone thinks they will make, the best you can do is look and compare CFM flows. Even then there are a lot of variables that need to be declared/stated so that you can even begin to compare apples to apples. Often times what I find most compelling, just as in a dyno pull, are before and after flow numbers, and that amount picked up will be the most telling.

Last edited by BigVette427; 02-15-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mamo 265 Heads

Old 02-15-2018, 02:20 PM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I am curious of this as well.

same car
same mods
swapping AHP package #4 ported heads vs MAMO ported TFS heads

what are the gains?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Kind of a tricky question, as you would want a cam spec'd for the heads. So with a proper spec'd cam? With mamo MSD or stock intake?

Either way I wouldn't be surprised to see big gains.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:33 PM
CASEWORER
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Mamo Heads

Originally Posted by njk4o5
I am curious of this as well.

same car
same mods
swapping AHP package #4 ported heads vs MAMO ported TFS heads

what are the gains?
This is exactly the kind of comparison I am looking for. This type of comparison will be the closest apples to apples comparison you can find. This will make it a little easier to decide if the HP to $ is worth it. For those where money is no problem it doesn't matter, but to those of us that have to live within budgetary constraints we have to weigh what we get for what we spend. The Mamo MSD is one of those where this type of testing has been done and in IMHO it is a good bargain for the dollar spent.

Quick Reply: Mamo 265 Heads