Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Mamo 265 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Lorenzo Serra
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're looking for the best hp to $ then AI heads is the best. Mamo package brings more to the table then just power and it has an added cost. For some people it's justified but for most it isn't.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:32 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Comparing reworked OEM castings to reworked aftermarket castings (I believe Mamo does additional port work)...for the premium, I would expect aftermarket to outperform; and I would be highly disappointed if that wasn't the case. I get that the question is how much more (hp) for how much more ($).

I'd rather see the scenario of same car, same mods, with the various reworked OE castings....and same for aftermarket castings.

WCCH vs AHP vs AI vs Morrison vs LPE vs TSP, etc.
Mamo TFS vs Mast vs All Pro vs PRC vs Brodix vs Dart, etc.

Test of this magnitude, we'll never see...

Last edited by MTPZ06; 02-15-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:23 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Comparing reworked OEM castings to reworked aftermarket castings (I believe Mamo does additional port work)...for the premium, I would expect aftermarket to outperform; and I would be highly disappointed if that wasn't the case. I get that the question is how much more (hp) for how much more ($).

I'd rather see the scenario of same car, same mods, with the various reworked OE castings....and same for aftermarket castings.

WCCH vs AHP vs AI vs Morrison vs LPE vs TSP, etc.
Mamo TFS vs Mast vs All Pro vs PRC vs Brodix vs Dart, etc.

Test of this magnitude, we'll never see...
Even then, without letting the vendor also spec a cam for them, it could be misleading.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:55 PM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-...top-ls7-heads/
The following users liked this post:
RobGOV-DCZ (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:16 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGOV-DCZ
Did you copy and paste this from another Mamo thread?
No, it's just well established that if it flows as well, but has a smaller volume, then velocity is higher - which equates to better overall driveability.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I saw that before Seb!
The following users liked this post:
Sébast19X (02-15-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 03:37 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
It depends what the person pays for and cost.....Darin Morgan is number one at heads just depends what you want......Darin has cut an ls7 head in half and produced 700 plus on a full roller and race gas ls7 but then again the heads were costly in the 5k range.....I bealive the guy was lmbz on here the motor is in hiss Monte Carlo.....ss
You must be referring to John Bzdel (JMB) with his 700rwhp MCSS. Very interesting info about Darin Morgan. His heads sure are working well on JMB's stock bottom end MCSS.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:30 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 904 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 95vettski
Many performance shops have mentioned that Mamo heads have produced the highest hp number in a h+c package on their dyno. I believe the number is 8-10 individual tuners supporting these claims with unbiased agendas. On average I believe the delta is about 20-30 rwhp.

Keep in mind it's not only peak numbers you should be looking at. Mamo heads produce great peak flow with a small port. This in turn keeps the air velocity high producing instant tip in for explosive exhilaration. Another benefit is you can get away with more cam timing and not suffer driveability issues associated with bigger heads.

As for track results...yes people have gone fast with less. However in my opinion there are more variables at the track vs the dyno. Weight, driver and track elevation just to name a few can significantly impact your results. Dyno numbers vary as well across the country, but most shops know what the highest heads and cam package has produced on their dyno. So when a Mamo package eclipses those numbers that tells me those heads make power.

At the end of the day only you can decide if the extra cost is beneficial to you. If your building a maximum effort combo with all the supporting mods then go for it. Otherwise most ported heads and decent cam will provide you with average results...not record breaking.
That number has recently increased to eleven (3rd party independent tuner/dyno shop setting a record with a Mamo Motorsports LS7 package) just confirmed earlier this week. Stingy dyno showed 600 at the tire (599.7 to be exact). To better appreciate that number....on the very same day another C6Z rolled on that dyno with a more "typical" set up with aftermarket 285 cc LS7 heads and that car rolled 547 RWHP....similar cam sizing btw. There was actually a group of friends that all went to the same dyno on the same day....I think they tested about a half dozen cars that day.

Im actually waiting for my customer to post up his results and thoughts from the build and I will chime in on that thread soon.

Guys.....there are a lot more perks than just peak power with this type of really detailed and very efficient cylinder head design. A big one is they drive alot better with the same size cam (than a similar package with a head that's larger and flows less). There is much less reversion issues because the higher speed column of air in the ports is not as easy to reverse direction. You also enjoy much better part throttle and tip in performance....car is simply alot more responsive in the lower and middle RPM range.....much more low and midrange power and torque. In short a more efficient head does alot more for you than just make a big peak number. When considering the cost differences and looking at the complete cost of the swap (including labor, tune, factoring in what your hassle and time is worth); the extra money spent for a PROVEN more efficient head is really peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Think about what you are going to spend next time to try and find the 20-30 RWHP you left on the table this time. Trust me it will be a hell of alot more than the cost difference of my very well sorted out LS7 program that's for sure (you will probably spend three times as much as the cost difference in the heads to try and find the same type of gains).

This hobby is a disease....most of you already know it....once your used to the gains of this round of mods your looking for the next so do it right the first time and spend less money and have zero regrets. Don't leave a bunch of power on the table when there is a proven product available by a reputable vendor that is making big power and has many documented 3rd party endorsements. The first race you lose by a couple of car lengths you will regret the money you saved.

Don't be short sighted....consider all the extra perks this design offers and the proven big numbers your going to see as well. Numerous clients (that see the big picture) have actually said they were very pleased with the price of the heads with all the options that come standard equipment including alot of extra hand finishing to perfect every port and chamber transition....you wont find any of this on heads that cost less and even heads that cost more. You get what you pay for in life....this situation is just another example of that.

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 02-17-2018 at 03:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
Jack kisner (05-12-2019), NemeZ (02-16-2018), RGT (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:33 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B.
You must be referring to John Bzdel (JMB) with his 700rwhp MCSS. Very interesting info about Darin Morgan. His heads sure are working well on JMB's stock bottom end MCSS.

He teaches also and Yes his heads were for sale at one time....Darin is awesome ....nothing wrong with AI......
Old 02-16-2018, 11:54 PM
1bad346
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the 11th guy Tony was referring to. I don't think I need to repeat what has already been said in this thread. The numbers speak for themselves. I made 600whp and 518tq on an 85k mile stock bottom end LS7 through the stock clutch on an older dynojet. A few tweaks and I have no doubts that my numbers would be closer to 620. However, dynos are nothing more than tools to tune and measure. The thing that impresses me is the way the power comes on. The way it drives and acts is nothing short of amazing. The bottom line is that his 265's just perform. If anyone has any questions of how my experience with getting the combo setup feel free to PM me.

Last edited by 1bad346; 02-16-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:57 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Porting a set of LS7 heads for peak power is a hell of a lot easier than overall street performance. Drag racing and dyno sheet boasting have completely different needs than a snappy, fun to drive street car. The comparison between the two is ridiculous.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Porting a set of LS7 heads for peak power is a hell of a lot easier than overall street performance. Drag racing and dyno sheet boasting have completely different needs than a snappy, fun to drive street car. The comparison between the two is ridiculous.
Amen!
Well Said.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:56 AM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

What does each ported head set cost?
Old 02-18-2018, 12:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you want that last little bit call Tony; hes been at this before many here were born. If you want cheaper, plenty to choose from

When planning stick with one builder-dont get sidetracked with what the internet says you just dont know where that information came from.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:28 PM
1bad346
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
If you want that last little bit call Tony; hes been at this before many here were born. If you want cheaper, plenty to choose from

When planning stick with one builder-dont get sidetracked with what the internet says you just dont know where that information came from.

This is the truth
Old 02-19-2018, 04:36 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

My tuner just swapped PRC 285cc heads for a set of LME ported stock casting heads. Same compression, fuel, dyno, tuner, target AFR.. Very minimal difference in power made.

Quick Reply: Mamo 265 Heads