Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Just took the plunge.. ordered the quickjack 5000

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:05 PM
mggray87
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Just took the plunge.. ordered the quickjack 5000

well I just finally grew a pair to make myself order the quickjack I been eyeballing for a few months. im hoping it allows me to learn how to work on the z06 and my daily driver. First job is removing the super dusty squeaky OEM brake pads and putting on carbotech pads. I wanna learn to do basic things. and it will help allow me to clean and detail the car without laying my butt on the floor working on the wheels.. hopefully its not a disaster. my Daily driver needs a coolant flush and break stuff. I made the hockey puck jack pucks. I gotta read up on all the torque specs and just go slow and teach myself how to do the basic installs and maintenance. of course this site has a abundance of reading that is giving me the courage to get wrenchin!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:12 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Congrats. They are fun to work on for the most part.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:15 AM
TripleBlackZ06
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I was looking at one, let us know if it is as easy to use as they say
Old 02-20-2018, 03:32 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Keep us updated once it arrives. I'm curious to know if the initial set up is easy or somewhat involved. Also, I'm in the same boat as you. I have limited experience working on cars, which stops at oil changes and tire rotations. I'd prefer to work on my car myself and this jack would certainly help. I was eyeballing it too but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:42 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I would also like to read your update. Been thinking of getting something like this as the tried and true floor jack and jack stands method I have been using for 40 years has gotten old!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:20 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Very nice. I have one and love it. I literally use it every week during the racing season, and during the off-season I have had the car sitting on it for months at a time while performing major work. It is extremely safe, easy to use, stable/sturdy and works exactly as described. I have attempted to push my car right off it just to test it and it will not budge.

Set-up is straight forward. Plan on it taking a solid afternoon. The instructions aren't perfect but are adequate. You will need some very basic hand tools/wrenches and an air compressor. Also make sure you buy a few quarts of Dexron III or Dexron VI synthetic ATF. It doesn't come with it and it needs it. It is standard hydraulic oil found in any automotive parts store.

Also, make sure you lift and lower it a number of times before you put a load on it for the first time. You need to get the oil primed through the lines. When you do initially engage it without a load (for priming), the lift will appear to operate erratically (one side goes up faster than the other and may not come down easily). This is normal as it typically needs a load (weight) to operate properly. But you still need to do this initial procedure to prime it. Again, it will seem to be acting erratically but is part of the setup process.

If you need any help setting it up feel free to message me. Also, for lifting your car or any type of work you are performing feel free to message me if you have any questions. Happy to help in any way that I can.

The following users liked this post:
slappy3347 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 07:54 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

once set up they are a blast....its the set up and dragging/rolling them into place that's a pain

Last edited by ATC399; 02-20-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 AM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you trust them enough to work under them without some kind of jack stand security?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:15 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by [Cerberus]
Do you trust them enough to work under them without some kind of jack stand security?
Yes. The car is extremely stable on them. I've tried pushing the car off and couldn't. Didn't budge. I've also jacked up one side with a floor jack and shifted much of the weight to other side and the unit didn't flinch. This tells me that it could support alot more weight. There are locking bars on both sides so when the car is in the air it is no longer using hydraulics to hold it up. At that point the hydraulics are a backup.

That said, as I value my life and I know that any part can fail, when I am actually underneath the car wrenching I also place jackstands as another backup. So for the car to fall the locking bars must fail, the hydraulics must fail and the jackstands must fail. In other words, the end of the world.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I was skeptical at first when these started becoming popular a few years back but I definitely plan on getting one of these now.

Due to the locking tab design, just like a large lift, if the hydraulics fail the vehicle is still not in danger of falling. Like Mordeth stated above the hydraulics are not what keep the vehicle suspended like with a floor jack. I actually saw a video where they used a forklift and overloaded it to something crazy like double its rating and it still didn't collapse. Much safer than floor jacks.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:02 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Those are my DRM's Anthony....

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Very nice. I have one and love it. I literally use it every week during the racing season, and during the off-season I have had the car sitting on it for months at a time while performing major work. It is extremely safe, easy to use, stable/sturdy and works exactly as described. I have attempted to push my car right off it just to test it and it will not budge.

Set-up is straight forward. Plan on it taking a solid afternoon. The instructions aren't perfect but are adequate. You will need some very basic hand tools/wrenches and an air compressor. Also make sure you buy a few quarts of Dexron III or Dexron VI synthetic ATF. It doesn't come with it and it needs it. It is standard hydraulic oil found in any automotive parts store.

Also, make sure you lift and lower it a number of times before you put a load on it for the first time. You need to get the oil primed through the lines. When you do initially engage it without a load (for priming), the lift will appear to operate erratically (one side goes up faster than the other and may not come down easily). This is normal as it typically needs a load (weight) to operate properly. But you still need to do this initial procedure to prime it. Again, it will seem to be acting erratically but is part of the setup process.

If you need any help setting it up feel free to message me. Also, for lifting your car or any type of work you are performing feel free to message me if you have any questions. Happy to help in any way that I can.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Those are my DRM's Anthony....
Haha....yes Matt...indeed they are.
​​
Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Snaps
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Would you say there is enough room to pull a trans or do clutch work under one?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:34 AM
FasNuff
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered on last week, they were running them for $100.00 off. It arrived Friday, I hope to get it assembled this weekend.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:55 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice! I've been looking at those since the summer. Where's the best place to order? Isn't there the taller version for SUVs? I would think that would be better to allow more room under the car.

I'm curious about Snaps' question regarding being able to do a clutch job.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:01 AM
RecMech
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Snaps
Would you say there is enough room to pull a trans or do clutch work under one?
I have been able to pull drivetrain and fuel tanks on mine. (5000#) Its tight, but it works.

I do use jack stands for safety.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:02 AM
RecMech
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 148 Posts

I also use them at the track...

Get notified of new replies

To Just took the plunge.. ordered the quickjack 5000

Old 02-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I have a quick jack and max jax. Both are great. I use the quick jack way more often.

Yes you can easily do a tranny job. Worst case get the height adapters and you can get it really high off the ground. Lift it up, set it down on jackstands/ramps, then install adapters, then lift again. Not needed but an easy way to get it even higher.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:15 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Seems to be 2 models at 5000lbs.. You guys have SLX or EXT model. Think ill get one of these...
Old 02-20-2018, 03:07 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Seems to be 2 models at 5000lbs.. You guys have SLX or EXT model. Think ill get one of these...
SLX is their standard length version. This means the max lift point spread is 60". EXT is the extended version for cars/trucks with longer wheel bases. It extends the available spread to 66" if your car has a very long wheel base and the jacking points are spread apart further. Basically it is a bigger, longer version.

You only need the SLX version for our Vette and most cars/trucks. That's the one you buy. If you have other vehicles you want to use the jack on, simply measure the distance between jacking points. As long as it is 60" or under then the SLX is fine (will be the case for most cars).

Quick Reply: Just took the plunge.. ordered the quickjack 5000