Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Just took the plunge.. ordered the quickjack 5000

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:27 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'm sure it's fine either way. Can't see it makes much difference. I take off the hoses when working anyways as I don't need them in my way.

I'm just saying what my instructions said. Everyone can do what they feel comfortable with.

Name:  photo394.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  315.5 KB

Name:  photo112.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  548.2 KB
Old 04-18-2018, 08:32 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 360 Likes on 263 Posts

I believe that is just telling you what is the front and rear of the units.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

I bought the 7000 slx model, and got it going today.

Tested it on the Z06 and will try it out on the other 3 cars I have over the next few days.

Tony

Last edited by Cman01; 06-14-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

The front of the frames doesn't have to be at the front of the car (see my pic above).
Old 02-23-2019, 10:14 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default How's It Been Working?

Originally Posted by Cman01
I bought the 7000 slx model, and got it going today.

Tested it on the Z06 and will try it out on the other 3 cars I have over the next few days.

Tony
I too am thinking about the 7000 SLX because of other vehicles. How has it worked with the vette (& the others for that matter)??
Old 02-23-2019, 11:26 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

OK, so I got a set of quickjacks. The instructions say put 40-50 lbs of air into the air cylinders. I did put the air in and in less than a minute the air pressure was zero in one side and soon the other side was at zero. I called quick jack and they said that should not be the case and wanted me to do a bubble test with soapy water and if I confirmed the loss of air they would send me repair parts. Sorry, it was brand new and I didn't really want to wrench on it (tear it apart and replace the air cylinders) so I just returned it. I assume the air cylinders were to aid in lowering the hydraulic jacks and really didn't want one side to go down fast and the other to go down slow. Anyone else have a problem keeping air in the air cylinders? Or did anyone really check the air pressure. Do you check the air every time you're going to use it?
Old 02-24-2019, 07:19 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Anyone else have a problem keeping air in the air cylinders? Or did anyone really check the air pressure. Do you check the air every time you're going to use it?
Yes. Yes.

Originally Posted by bjmsam
After seeing this thread, I ordered from costco.com and free delivery took only two days. It arrived with a bad hydraulic fitting, a bad Schrader valve core, and a hydraulic cylinder that leaked air (from the adjacent pneumatic cylinder) at the ram seal, but BendPak sent replacement parts (received within a week) and now it works as advertised. It was very easy to assemble (and repair), slides easily under my C6Z, and stores compactly. Super slick! I should have bought one before replacing the fuel level sensor earlier this year. Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-24-2019, 08:50 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

OK, so I got a set of quickjacks. The instructions say put 40-50 lbs of air into the air cylinders. I did put the air in and in less than a minute the air pressure was zero in one side and soon the other side was at zero. I called quick jack and they said that should not be the case and wanted me to do a bubble test with soapy water and if I confirmed the loss of air they would send me repair parts. Sorry, it was brand new and I didn't really want to wrench on it (tear it apart and replace the air cylinders) so I just returned it. I assume the air cylinders were to aid in lowering the hydraulic jacks and really didn't want one side to go down fast and the other to go down slow. Anyone else have a problem keeping air in the air cylinders? Or did anyone really check the air pressure. Do you check the air every time you're going to use it?
1) The air cylinders assist lowering the frame after the vehicle's tires touch the floor, or if the lift was ever raised with no load. They are not used while the jack has the car in the air or is in the process of being lowered with a vehicle in the air.
2) They are a bit finicky to fill. When you test their pressure air is quickly released and usually requires a re-fill. So sometimes you have to overfill them a little, and then test.
3) Very unlikely that both sides were leaking and therefore was possibly user error. But anything is possible. Make sure the valve core inside the valve stem is tightly in place and is not letting air escape. You can use a standard valve tool to check. Do not over tighten the valve core.
4) I check my air regularly and they don't leak. But again, the act of checking them usually means I need to add air as it loses pressure when I check.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:00 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

They ask for 50psi in the cyl. max before using the lift. I have checked the air pressure in the cyl. when it has lifted a car up to the locks and it will usually read around 70-80 psi so I have a feeling that they don't want you to overfill since the air pressure increase when in use will damage the air cylinder. So basically keep the cyl. near 50psi before use and you will be fine.

Those cyl. are tiny and obviously having 50psi in there means even barely pressing the valve will release a bunch of air.

My 7 SLX has kept my GT500 up in the air for like 4+ months now while in winter storage, I'm curious to see what the air pressure is in there when it's time to drop her down after all this time holding the car up.

Last edited by Cman01; 02-24-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:45 AM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mordeth
1) The air cylinders assist lowering the frame after the vehicle's tires touch the floor, or if the lift was ever raised with no load. They are not used while the jack has the car in the air or is in the process of being lowered with a vehicle in the air.

That's what I assumed.

2) They are a bit finicky to fill. When you test their pressure air is quickly released and usually requires a re-fill. So sometimes you have to overfill them a little, and then test.

I realized that and was very careful to lose as little air as possible when measuring. The instructions say don't over fill.

3) Very unlikely that both sides were leaking and therefore was possibly user error. But anything is possible. Make sure the valve core inside the valve stem is tightly in place and is not letting air escape. You can use a standard valve tool to check. Do not over tighten the valve core.

Checked the valve cores and did not over tighten them. One lost air almost immediately the other lot the air in about an hour.

4) I check my air regularly and they don't leak. But again, the act of checking them usually means I need to add air as it loses pressure when I check.

So check them every time you're going to use the jacks
So if you use the jacks and leave the car up over night the air cylinders will be exhausted, not good.

Last edited by LawrenceFromTorrance; 02-24-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:51 AM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

I guess if you leave the car on the jacks overnight the weight of the car will lower the jacks when your done. However, what if they don't lower at the same rate?
Old 02-24-2019, 10:54 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

The automatic safety locks engage at both the mid and max levels. See: Is QuickJack safe to use without a jack stand?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

So if you use the jacks and leave the car up over night the air cylinders will be exhausted, not good.
No they won't, and I have no idea what you are talking about. It raises and lowers using hydraulics, not the air cylinders. Then it engages with locking bars. The air canisters are used as I stated above. You can literally disconnect the entire hydraulic system with the car in the air and it is perfectly fine and stable. I had my car on the lift for 3 months when I pulled my motor. Zero issues. Perfectly stable and safe.

So check them every time you're going to use the jacks
Nope. Because mine do not leak. I check them a few times a year when I'm bored and they are always perfectly fine. Full of air and no issues.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:08 AM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Originally Posted by bjmsam
The automatic safety locks engage at both the mid and max levels. See: Is QuickJack safe to use without a jack stand?
Why would they have a second safety lock unless there was a potential failure or one side could come down faster than the other?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Why would they have a second safety lock unless there was a potential failure or one side could come down faster than the other?
Are you reading anything or just making stuff up as you go along? The safety bars are used as it is not proper to leave a vehicle held up in the air indefinitely by any hydraulic system. This is normal and proper.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:46 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

If you are checking the air pressure before use and you need to add some air I think it's fine to slightly overfill beyond the 50psi they want ALA you bleed it down to the 50psi before use and you will be good.

I've added air before and have gotten it to 60-70psi (and basically it takes barely any air added to reach that), I just bleed it down to 50 before use no issues...……………..and basically like all things there should be a safety factor so if you bleed down to 53-55psi before use you should be ok also...…………...just don't go crazy adding air if you need to.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My car has been up on the quickjack for 9+ months now. No jackstands, no issues. The hydraulics are not even in the same area. Disconnected for months. Just on the locks like any life should be. No lift system depends on the hydraulics to stay up.

Get notified of new replies

To Just took the plunge.. ordered the quickjack 5000

Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 360 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
My car has been up on the quickjack for 9+ months now. No jackstands, no issues. The hydraulics are not even in the same area. Disconnected for months. Just on the locks like any life should be. No lift system depends on the hydraulics to stay up.
Don't you love when people have no idea what they are talking about and decide to share it with everyone......lol
Old 02-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yep, someone that has never used one, talking out their *** and showing how stupid they are. Fun times.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:23 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Are you reading anything or just making stuff up as you go along? The safety bars are used as it is not proper to leave a vehicle held up in the air indefinitely by any hydraulic system. This is normal and proper.
You seem to be contradicted by:
"My car has been up on the quickjack for 9+ months now. No jackstands, no issues. The hydraulics are not even in the same area. Disconnected for months. Just on the locks like any life should be. No lift system depends on the hydraulics to stay up."

As far as ignorance, then why were the warnings put into the instructions? I didn't really buy the quickjack to work on it, worry about it if I left my car on it overnight, or get a new item and have to wrench on it and replace parts before even using it. I'm sorry if relating my experience has offended you but I'm only telling the truth and was looking to see if others had similar experiences. Just maybe I'm more particular when working on or under a 3000lb car. You know when critiquing a product you should be allowed to express negatives as well as positives. If not then this thread would be worthless to others

Last edited by LawrenceFromTorrance; 02-24-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Just took the plunge.. ordered the quickjack 5000