Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Battery Hold Down for Lithium batteries and OEM style

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 06:48 AM
NVA2010
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Battery Hold Down for Lithium batteries and OEM style

Hey everybody,

Just out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in purchasing either OEM style battery hold down brackets or one designed specifically for the Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 battery?

For anyone curious, they would be 3D printed out of ABS+ material using our Fortus 250mc.

I designed one for my new Shorai battery as I didn't want to add a bunch of foam into the battery compartment, install anything using rivets and bolts, buy the Katech foam kit, or pay for one of those expensive brackets from Braille. The Shorai battery does come with foam, but it's not enough to fill the entire compartment and neatly secure the battery in place.

While at it, I decided to design one similar to the OEM hold down as well, in case I ever lost the original and needed a replacement. Figured I'd ask if there was interest in something like this before I print out a one-off for my battery. I could also design one for a different battery if there's interest, as I'm not sure what other popular Li batteries people are running with. Both are designed to bolt down on the original threaded rods that are in the battery compartment from the factory. I designed it with the intent of an easy swap to the smaller Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 battery.
Simply remove the OEM hold down, pull the old 36# porker of a battery out, dropping in the new lightweight Shorai 5# battery and clamp it in place with this Shorai specific hold down.

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 AM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

Surprised that no one has offered a quality solution like this before.

Price it right and I think it will do very well.

I wonder if one could be made for the Optima red and yellow top size #34 to make them compatible with our cars?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:16 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by JDebler
Surprised that no one has offered a quality solution like this before.

Price it right and I think it will do very well.

I wonder if one could be made for the Optima red and yellow top size #34 to make them compatible with our cars?
Thanks for the suggestion on the Optima batteries. I'll look into those and see if I can find some dimensions on them.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:25 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

How much would it cost roughly? Something I've been interested in doing (super lightweight battery) when I get a DD.

I hate to go off topic slightly, but do cars with the Shorai battery need to be on a tender whenever they're not being driven? What if it gets driven daily?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:55 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NVA2010
Thanks for the suggestion on the Optima batteries. I'll look into those and see if I can find some dimensions on them.
This might help, per my research...plus a couple of other battery measurements just in case it is helpful to anyone.

Odyssey Battery PC1200MJT
- LWH - 7.87 x 6.66 x 6.80
- Weight: 38.2lbs

Duralast Gold
- LWH - 9 1/2 x 6 7/8 x 6 7/8
- Weight: 29.70lbs

Optima Yellow Top 3478DT? D34?
- LWH - 10.06 x 6.94 x 7.88
- Weight: 43.5 lb
Optima Red Top 34R (R34-980)
- Weight: 37.9 lb

Last edited by JDebler; 02-26-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:09 AM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by Frankie15
How much would it cost roughly? Something I've been interested in doing (super lightweight battery) when I get a DD.

I hate to go off topic slightly, but do cars with the Shorai battery need to be on a tender whenever they're not being driven? What if it gets driven daily?
I don't have costs nailed down exactly, but I figure $22 - $25 a piece plus shipping to the 48 depending on volumes. Best guess as of now, I could hit about $22 if I can print 10-12 pieces at one time that people are already in place to purchase. I'd really prefer not to print a huge volume of them just to guarantee a lower cost if there's are no potential buyers lined up and end up having to shelve inventory. Especially since I have no idea what kind of inventory turn over rate a part like this would have.

I will try to get more exact numbers tomorrow so that I can commit to a claimed cost though.

If you plan to DD the car with the Shorai, it should be fine without a charger. And it'd be able to sit over the weekend (or a couple days during the week) as well. But due to these cars not completely shutting down, in order to run the alarm and keep the clocks/computers updated, it should be put on a charger if the plan is to sit for a week or more. If there is no draw at all on the battery (removed from car and properly stored) it can last up to a year before fully discharging.
You can use a normal battery tender on it as long as the tender does not have a de-sulfation phase in it's charging cycle, but it's recommended that if a charger is necessary for your situation, that you use the Shorai specific charger.

This might help, per my research...plus a couple of other battery measurements just in case it is helpful to anyone.

Odyssey Battery PC1200MJT
- LWH - 7.87 x 6.66 x 6.80
- Weight: 38.2lbs

Duralast Gold
- LWH - 9 1/2 x 6 7/8 x 6 7/8
- Weight: 29.70lbs

Optima Yellow Top 3478DT? D34?
- Weight: 43.5 lb
Optima Red Top 34R (R34-980)
- Weight: 37.9 lb
Thanks for the info.

At first glance, it appears that I could somewhat alter the existing designs to fit all of them. Not positive about the Optima batteries, but I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by NVA2010; 02-27-2018 at 11:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie15 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 06:24 AM
07427z
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be interested in this and the shorai battery.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:17 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by NVA2010
I don't have costs nailed down exactly, but I figure $12 - $15 a piece shipped via ground shipping to the 48 depending on volumes. Best guess as of now, I could hit about $12 if I can print 10-12 pieces at one time that people are already in place to purchase. I'd really prefer not to print a huge volume of them just to guarantee a lower cost if there's are no potential buyers lined up and end up having to shelve inventory. Especially since I have no idea what kind of inventory turn over rate a part like this would have.

I will try to get more exact numbers tomorrow so that I can commit to a claimed cost though.

If you plan to DD the car with the Shorai, it should be fine without a charger. And it'd be able to sit over the weekend (or a couple days during the week) as well. But due to these cars not completely shutting down, in order to run the alarm and keep the clocks/computers updated, it should be put on a charger if the plan is to sit for a week or more. If there is no draw at all on the battery (removed from car and properly stored) it can last up to a year before fully discharging.
You can use a normal battery tender on it as long as the tender does not have a de-sulfation phase in it's charging cycle, but it's recommended that if a charger is necessary for your situation, that you use the Shorai specific charger.

Thanks for the info.

At first glance, it appears that I could somewhat alter the existing designs to fit all of them. Not positive about the Optima batteries, but I'll see what I can do.
Thanks so much! Interested even more that I can use it as a DD and let it sit 1-2 days without requiring a tender. I will definitely be looking into this battery. I'm in for sure for your initial run for $12 for the Shorai specific hold down.

Last edited by Frankie15; 02-27-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:14 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Thanks so much! Interested even more that I can use it as a DD and let it sit 1-2 days without requiring a tender. I will definitely be looking into this battery. I'm in for sure for your initial run for $12 for the Shorai specific hold down.
Slow down buddy

I'll get confirmation on a piece cost by tonight and let you guys know
The following users liked this post:
Frankie15 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 11:37 PM
NVA2010
Racer

I just realized I had a typo on the price I guesstimated. I meant to put $22-25. The original post stating the $12-$15 cost has been updated.

I will post on here again once I finish crunching the numbers to get an accurate amount to quote.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:18 AM
NVA2010
Racer

Okay guys, just finished crunching the numbers and unfortunately my guess was off. These parts require a bit more material than I initially anticipated and with that, a higher cost to produce.

That said, I can do $40 each delivered to your door anywhere in the 48 via USPS Priority 3-Day.

I need 8 people minimum lined up to make that price happen. Whether it be:
- 8 OEM replacement
- 8 Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 style
- 4 OEM, 4 Shorai
- 6 x 2
- 1 x 7
- etc.

Also, some options for customization:
Personalized Text - add $5
C6 Crossed Flags Logo - add $10

If you would like a customization other than what is listed above, let me know and we can discuss cost based upon the complexity of the request.

Send me a PM if you are interested and I will provide paypal info so that payment can be made for whatever options you'd like. Deposits are to be made in full and will be held for a minimum of 15 days to allow time to acquire the necessary number of buyers. After 15 days have passed, if the necessary number of buyers has not been reached, I will issue refunds in full unless the buyer is willing to hold out a little longer.

Hold down brackets for other brand/model batteries are currently being worked on and will be available at a later date.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks
Nathan
Old 05-24-2019, 06:34 AM
andersnor
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

did this ever happen?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:21 PM
0Antigravity
Former Vendor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by andersnor
did this ever happen?

I don't know if that did, but we are a site sponsor, and we have quite a few Lightweight battery options...

you can check us out here... and see our latest battery in the video below.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...es/automotive/

Old 07-19-2019, 08:54 AM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I don't know if that did, but we are a site sponsor, and we have quite a few Lightweight battery options...

you can check us out here... and see our latest battery in the video below.
I saw these at PRI last year and I was pretty impressed. I previously did a product review for the XP-1 jump starter and it has worked awesomely. I have used it to jump start a Silverado 3500 HD Dually with no problems. My point is they make some good quality products and I am going to take a second look at the battery.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:12 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Originally Posted by andersnor
did this ever happen?
Unfortunately, no it didn't end up working out. I couldn't get the price down to where I would have liked.
For anyone who was interested, I apologize for not updating. Had a lot of personal issues go down over the last year.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:03 PM
0Antigravity
Former Vendor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I saw these at PRI last year and I was pretty impressed. I previously did a product review for the XP-1 jump starter and it has worked awesomely. I have used it to jump start a Silverado 3500 HD Dually with no problems. My point is they make some good quality products and I am going to take a second look at the battery.

Thanks, appreciate it.... we'll be there again this year... have more cool stuff coming out. Doing some new 16v for drag Cars, some new sizes of Auto Batteries too.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:18 PM
SSpeed
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone confirm what the original battery was in 1988 from Corvette and what it looked like?

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Hold Down for Lithium batteries and OEM style

Quick Reply: Battery Hold Down for Lithium batteries and OEM style