Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

2018 Rebuild, Maybe bigger/better, maybe not.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Does it matter if it is Brian or not? If the cam specs come back crap, or I'm not happy with the service/etc, I'll let everyone know.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by lamboworld
I have been waiting on two weeks on specs from BTR and nothing yet. I basically know what I want at this point so I am just going to spec my own cam. I also found out that Brian is not the person who is specing their cams.
A little insight on speccing your own cam, you will end up picking out a spec out of a catalog. You cannot go picking random specs where the valve events do not work together. I kind of specced mine, I put some specs together and found a cam close after talking to Tick Performance. From what I gathered, everyone picks out of a catalog. Granted the guys speccing the cam will know your setup and what valve events need to happen and pick the cam that they think works best. This is all information I found when I wanted to spec my cam myself.

BTR is a great business, I am sure they will lead you in the right path!
Old 07-10-2018, 11:09 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
A little insight on speccing your own cam, you will end up picking out a spec out of a catalog. You cannot go picking random specs where the valve events do not work together. I kind of specced mine, I put some specs together and found a cam close after talking to Tick Performance. From what I gathered, everyone picks out of a catalog. Granted the guys speccing the cam will know your setup and what valve events need to happen and pick the cam that they think works best. This is all information I found when I wanted to spec my cam myself.

The tech I spoke to at Comp Cams and I referenced the Master Lobe Catalog when deciding which lobes would be best on my 454.

I enjoyed reading through the catalog to see what's available, what are people referring to when they talk about some lobes "being more intense" or in a "different family". Really demystified the custom cam process.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Ca...terCatalog.pdf
Old 07-10-2018, 11:25 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by Josh B.
The tech I spoke to at Comp Cams and I referenced the Master Lobe Catalog when deciding which lobes would be best on my 454.

I enjoyed reading through the catalog to see what's available, what are people referring to when they talk about some lobes "being more intense" or in a "different family". Really demystified the custom cam process.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Ca...terCatalog.pdf
Sweet, that was what I was talking about! I have not looked into it and I skimmed through it, Comp really know how to do it. It would make more sense to me if I had someone walk me through it like you talked to a Comp Tech. I definitely will go this route if I ever switch up cams.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:21 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate

Yes, I am aware and I have familiarized myself with their catalog and what works and doesn't work.

BTR uses LXL lobes on the Intake and XE RPM HL on the Exhaust.
On most Mamo LS7 setups I have seen on this site, he uses either LXL or LSL lobes. The cam that he spec'd for me is LXL/LXL.

Once you know the lobes that everyone is using, you can back into the valve events and just use what has worked for everyone else.

I think that I plan to use an LSL/LXL lobe setup on my cam. The issue that I had was finding a cam that had the duration that I wanted. You can essentially make the cam events what you want by playing around with the duration and adjusting the LSA and advance. My goal was to get a cam that has an overlap between 19 and 21 that has cam events that are similar to what BTR and Mamo uses.

I think that I am going to land on this one: 239/256 "661/.652" LSA 114+3

Old 07-11-2018, 11:33 AM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Not everyone uses Comp catalog lobes...
Old 07-11-2018, 11:59 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1z
Fake News. Everyone uses Comp lobes.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Working with another cam person as I wait for BTR. 234/252 116+6. So far that is a winner in my book as far as cam timing/events, and doing what I want. Lobes need to be determined and lift will fall whereever it is. May see what cam motion has in that range.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

What a minute....you are going with a different block now? I thought yours was OK and you were re-using it? I must have missed a few posts....
Old 07-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Michael_D
What a minute....you are going with a different block now? I thought yours was OK and you were re-using it? I must have missed a few posts....
It was ok. In fact new owner already put it back together I think. Just had a ring hit the wall and make a little ding. A .005" bore cleaned it right up. I decided to go aluminum instead of reuse the steel block. Doing LSR block. Reusing my crank and rods, new custom 10:1 pistons (thought of going more, but decided not), Mast 285 heads, DLC coated victory Ti valves, crower rockers, johnson lifters, etc.

Just trying to pick out the cam now. Talking with Bret B, who is awesome, he didn't like the comp recommendation saying the exhaust is opening too late. We will see what BTR says, but I like what he suggested.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:51 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1z
Yes. Thank you for pointing that out. Many shops do but like you said not everyone. It's good info for people to check out.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:54 PM
MOTOWN Z
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Very interested on hearing a real world opinion on this LSR block I wouldn't mind building one for the 70 Chevelle then add a Whipple.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Unreal
It was ok. In fact new owner already put it back together I think. Just had a ring hit the wall and make a little ding. A .005" bore cleaned it right up. I decided to go aluminum instead of reuse the steel block. Doing LSR block. Reusing my crank and rods, new custom 10:1 pistons (thought of going more, but decided not), Mast 285 heads, DLC coated victory Ti valves, crower rockers, johnson lifters, etc.

Just trying to pick out the cam now. Talking with Bret B, who is awesome, he didn't like the comp recommendation saying the exhaust is opening too late. We will see what BTR says, but I like what he suggested.
You're going to have to re-learn how to drive that thing with the lighter front end...lol.... He must want more blow down? I had a conversation with Jud M at SAM a long time ago about valve events. He was pretty adamant about gett the EVO at the optimal time. Getting the right cam guru is soooooo important. Didn't take me long to figure out I am not one of them. And when you find one, treat him well.....
Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by lamboworld
Yes, I am aware and I have familiarized myself with their catalog and what works and doesn't work.

BTR uses LXL lobes on the Intake and XE RPM HL on the Exhaust.
On most Mamo LS7 setups I have seen on this site, he uses either LXL or LSL lobes. The cam that he spec'd for me is LXL/LXL.

Once you know the lobes that everyone is using, you can back into the valve events and just use what has worked for everyone else.

I think that I plan to use an LSL/LXL lobe setup on my cam. The issue that I had was finding a cam that had the duration that I wanted. You can essentially make the cam events what you want by playing around with the duration and adjusting the LSA and advance. My goal was to get a cam that has an overlap between 19 and 21 that has cam events that are similar to what BTR and Mamo uses.

I think that I am going to land on this one: 239/256 "661/.652" LSA 114+3
Awesome, you did more research than I did while trying to spec my own. Of course I learned everything after the car was put together lol. That will be a good cam from the looks of it.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MOTOWN Z
Very interested on hearing a real world opinion on this LSR block I wouldn't mind building one for the 70 Chevelle then add a Whipple.
Plenty of them out there. CPR has 4-5 out in the field making 1200-1500rwhp. Fastest blower c6z is a LSR block. Lots of real world great results, just not cheap.

MD, yah something about clearing out the exhaust for long 1/2 mile pulls so stuff doesn't melt.

Last edited by Unreal; 07-11-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

I don't know anything about LSR blocks. When you order one, do they ship it with a finish hone, to the customer's spec? Or is your builder doing that? Can you get the block with camshaft rollers?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I don't know anything about LSR blocks. When you order one, do they ship it with a finish hone, to the customer's spec? Or is your builder doing that? Can you get the block with camshaft rollers?
I don't know about the hone. I think it is just a rough bore and builder does it. I know my builder (MVP) customer ordered my block with extra deck height, so he can mill the deck to exactly what he wants for the pistons/hg/heads and get it exactly where he wants which is why it took awhile. I think you can get cam shaft rollers. It is basically just an aluminum LSX block, so anything that LSX block can do, LSR can do. Uses all the LSX covers/parts.
The following users liked this post:
Michael_D (07-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 Rebuild, Maybe bigger/better, maybe not.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:15 AM
Quiky One
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Sub’d

I thought I was subscribed but you must have two threads
Old 07-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

I do, one in the FI section and one in the c6z section.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Still no word from BTR on cam specs. I wonder how long it normally takes. Seems a bit excessive.

Quick Reply: 2018 Rebuild, Maybe bigger/better, maybe not.