Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Gone in 60 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Mark Datcher
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gone in 60 seconds

Been a Corvette Enthusiast all my life and recently traded in my 2003 Z06 , for a Shiny Velosity Yellow 2008 Z06 . I had the newer car about a three weeks to a month and on 3/4/18 the unthinkable happened ....... I came down the stairs in my house , opened the front door to go to work , and all that was left of my beautiful Vette was the passenger side window that was skillfully cut out of the car and lying on the sidewalk. As a 52 year old man the tears just automatically started to flow down my cheeks because i knew i would never see that car again . The first payment wasnt to be made until April 1st ( April Fools Day ). My question to the forum is how easy is it to steal push to start Corvettes ? I really thougjt the theives used a tow truck , that is until my neighbor said she thinks she heard my car at 3AM . Everyone is asking the obvious question " Didn't you hear the alarm " Heck no , I didn't hear a damn thing . Could someone out there explain how they could have started the car without the key fob. I feel so violated that I'm not even sure if I will get another Vette , but if anyone could offer me a little piece of mind as to how this was done , I would greatly appreciate it .

BADHBIT.
(My club name and tag plate )
Old 03-10-2018, 04:43 PM
Mark Datcher
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gone in 60 seconds

Been a Corvette Enthusiast all my life and recently traded in my 2003 Z06 , for a Shiny Velosity Yellow 2008 Z06 . I had the newer car about a three weeks to a month and on 3/4/18 the unthinkable happened ....... I came down the stairs in my house , opened the front door to go to work , and all that was left of my beautiful Vette was the passenger side window that was skillfully cut out of the car and lying on the sidewalk. As a 52 year old man the tears just automatically started to flow down my cheeks because i knew i would never see that car again . The first payment wasnt to be made until April 1st ( April Fools Day ). My question to the forum is how easy is it to steal push to start Corvettes ? I really thougjt the theives used a tow truck , that is until my neighbor said she thinks she heard my car at 3AM . Everyone is asking the obvious question " Didn't you hear the alarm " Heck no , I didn't hear a damn thing . Could someone out there explain how they could have started the car without the key fob. I feel so violated that I'm not even sure if I will get another Vette , but if anyone could offer me a little piece of mind as to how this was done , I would greatly appreciate it .

BADHBIT.
(My club name and tag plate )
Old 03-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Jaybird29
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

So sorry man. I have no idea how the car can start without key fob. I despise a thief.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Probably towed, but either way, good thing they are plentiful and easy to replace. Let insurance do its job, and find a nicer one.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:03 PM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

I’m sure they can get something that simulates the key fob, although I don’t believe they used that as they wouldn’t need to cut the window out.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:04 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

I'd be looking into who had access to the fobs (owners, dealers) in the past...The window may have been cut out to just throw everyone off the trail that the fob may have been used to steal it...

Good luck with the search.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:12 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

A**holes...I hope they die of *** cancer.

You’ll find another though...great deals out there.
The following users liked this post:
REDZED2 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 07:22 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

They didn't have an emulator or they wouldn't have needed to bust the window. They probably knocked the window out to disengage the parking brake and steer it as they pushed it into a car hauler. The Z06 in 08 does not have a steering lock. Disabling the horn on these cars is quite easy by pulling out the front grill if you know where to reach. I highly doubt they drove it off. Pros don't need to bust out windows.

Here is an example of how it's done by professionals. It's easier than stealing one requiring an actual key.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Obviously the feeling of violation really sucks. It could happen with any car. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Originally Posted by User Omega
They didn't have an emulator or they wouldn't have needed to bust the window. They probably knocked the window out to disengage the parking brake and steer it as they pushed it into a car hauler. The Z06 in 08 does not have a steering lock. Disabling the horn on these cars is quite easy by pulling out the front grill if you know where to reach. I highly doubt they drove it off. Pros don't need to bust out windows.

Here is an example of how it's done by professionals. It's easier than stealing one requiring an actual key.
I have never seen that. What do they use? How does it work?

Last edited by Mark Ca; 03-10-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:39 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mark Ca
I have never seen that. What do they use? How does it work?
On a very basic level....

They plan an attack. They know what vehicle they are going to take. They then upload those frequencies to a tablet or similar. When they get to the car, the radio transmitter bombards the car with signals. (They cannot put a lockout on the number of tries or when you came out from a visit to the mall or like place, your car would be locked out.)

When they get the correct signal to unlock the doors it only takes a few more seconds to review the previous signals to get the correct one to start the car.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Damn. Any way to prevent that?

Last edited by Mark Ca; 03-10-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:05 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Mark CA,
The video linked here is a relay attack, that's why there are two guys. Your car is always transmitting a signal, so what they did in the case shown in the video is one guy gets as close to the house as possible and uses a radio transmitter and receiver with a signal booster - in this way the car and fob "see" that they are near each other, and the 2nd guy opens the car door. In many/most cases, it also allows you to start the car and drive away.

How can you prevent this particular method of theft? Put your fob in a faraday cage that blocks radio frequency transmission from getting outside the cage. Put it in your microwave oven, toaster oven, wrap it in aluminum foil, get a steel cup to drop your fob into in your house, etc.

Last edited by nuke61; 03-14-2018 at 09:02 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by nuke61:
Apollo29 (03-11-2018), Che70velle (03-11-2018), FSTFRC (03-13-2018), Landru (03-13-2018), Mark Ca (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 10:52 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nuke61
Mark CA,
The video linked here is a relay attack, that's why there are two guys. Your key fob is always transmitting a signal, so what they did in the case shown in the video is one guy gets as close to the house as possible and uses a radio receiver with a signal booster - in this way the car "sees" the fob as being nearby, and the 2nd guy opens the car door. In many/most cases, it also allows you to start the car and drive away.

How can you prevent this particular method of theft? Put your fob in a faraday cage that blocks radio frequency transmission from getting outside the cage. Put it in your microwave oven, toaster oven, wrap it in aluminum foil, get a steel cup to drop your fob into in your house, etc.
Nuke is correct for the video posted. Good call I didn't pay attention to which I grabbed. That is even faster but not an option when you aren't near the fob or the person with it. Either happens on a daily basis. As far as prevention. This company makes exactly what he is talking about. https://silent-pocket.com/

In the OP's case it would not have done him any good.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:23 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

It took them maybe 10 seconds and yes if they can skim credit cards at the pump they can get in and go. These things are not Ft. Knox. Sad but they are professionals at their slime go to h..ll business. Sorry.

Steve
Old 03-11-2018, 12:43 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Feel for you brother, saying it sucks just doesn't do it justice.
Aside from feeling 'violated' it'd so severely **** me off I may never get over it.

No idea your location/neighborhood but this is the A#1 reason parking a Corvette outside is so risky, to me.
If the jackasses don't steal wheels/tires leaving car laying on ground, in your case they take the whole damned thing.
Almost assuredly already stripped w/ parts destined to Mehico or where ever else sleaze operates.

IIRC my '80 C3 had a motion detector along w/ switches on windows/doors/T-Tops.
Would it have cost GM that much extra including a MD on C6s?

G/L, don't permit this to sour you on Corvettes.
Let insurance handle this.
But, I'd also garage next one & if need be rent a stall as close to you as possible.

BTW, my sister's '66 Mustang 2+2 was stolen from a garage she'd rented directly across the street from her apartment in d/t Milwaukee. Hell, she could SEE garage from her window.

If sleaze is hell bent to get something they will, regardless the best precautions because apparently absent truly meaningful penalties it's easier than working a honest job. Welcome to the future.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:52 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Every car with push button start can be hacked with a device. It's been all over the news the last 6 months. If your Z is not locked in a garage overnight all the time you are at risk. Sad... makes me want my C5Z again.. you will find another one bud. These retards will be caught.

Get notified of new replies

To Gone in 60 seconds

Old 03-11-2018, 03:10 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

I just posted this in another thread early this morning.

"For those that have bought any used car (not just a Vette) and only got 1 FOB, the first thing going through your mind is, where's the other FOB???
Somewhere in the world there is another FOB that works with your car.
Buying a second FOB and simply learning it to your car has not eliminated the potential problem of someone with your missing FOB driving your car away without anyone questioning it. When you are learning a FOB, you are NOT programming a FOB. You are programming the car to say OK this FOB works for me. Any settings associated with the digital signal coming out of the FOB are stored in the car. Heck, for all you know, there may already be a 3rd emergency FOB learned for your used Vette that you are unaware of. First thing I'd do is carefully read the manual with everything related to "re-learn" get comfortable with the process and do it. That deletes all previously learned FOB's and learns only the ones you have. Starts from scratch. That way, no one else can have access to your car EVER."
The following 2 users liked this post by stefuel:
Mark Ca (03-11-2018), ~STOLEN~ (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 05:38 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by stefuel
I just posted this in another thread early this morning.

"For those that have bought any used car (not just a Vette) and only got 1 FOB, the first thing going through your mind is, where's the other FOB???
Somewhere in the world there is another FOB that works with your car.
Buying a second FOB and simply learning it to your car has not eliminated the potential problem of someone with your missing FOB driving your car away without anyone questioning it. When you are learning a FOB, you are NOT programming a FOB. You are programming the car to say OK this FOB works for me. Any settings associated with the digital signal coming out of the FOB are stored in the car. Heck, for all you know, there may already be a 3rd emergency FOB learned for your used Vette that you are unaware of. First thing I'd do is carefully read the manual with everything related to "re-learn" get comfortable with the process and do it. That deletes all previously learned FOB's and learns only the ones you have. Starts from scratch. That way, no one else can have access to your car EVER."

i didnt even think about that until this post....i bought a car out of FL sight unseen from a dealership (thats now closed) but i wonder if i should have new fobs synced by the dealer.?
just because stuff like this

OP
i feel for you man.
someone that steals is a real special kind of stupid. i hope you get it solved friend
Old 03-11-2018, 06:18 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
i didnt even think about that until this post....i bought a car out of FL sight unseen from a dealership (thats now closed) but i wonder if i should have new fobs synced by the dealer.?
just because stuff like this

OP
i feel for you man.
someone that steals is a real special kind of stupid. i hope you get it solved friend
You don't need new FOBs. You can keep the old ones and do a relearn.
That clears all FOBs from memory then simply relearn the ones you have.
That way, any other FOBs that your car "may" have learned will be cleared and no longer work with your car.
Please take out your manual and read it. You can take it to a dealer and request they do it for you but I don't know what the fee would be.
The relearn from scratch is time consuming.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Gone in 60 seconds