Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Bought a Z06 this past Saturday..

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bought a Z06 this past Saturday..

Hi guys! I'm new to the forums and thought i'd introduce myself. Name is Jesse. Just copped a 08 c6z with only 19k miles one owner only. I'm coming from a "full bolt on" 17 GT 5.0 with 100 shot nitrous. So far this car has surprised me more than my modded GT. Bought this car as a project car and will definitely going heads/cam/intake/nitrous etc. Gonna start out slow and ask, what company do you guys recommend for heads. I've seen Advanced Induction/WCCH/TSP. I'd like a setup to make the most HP/TQ. Looking forward to being here for awhile!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:59 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HM6
Hi guys! I'm new to the forums and thought i'd introduce myself. Name is Jesse. Just copped a 08 c6z with only 19k miles one owner only. I'm coming from a "full bolt on" 17 GT 5.0 with 100 shot nitrous. So far this car has surprised me more than my modded GT. Bought this car as a project car and will definitely going heads/cam/intake/nitrous etc. Gonna start out slow and ask, what company do you guys recommend for heads. I've seen Advanced Induction/WCCH/TSP. I'd like a setup to make the most HP/TQ. Looking forward to being here for awhile!
Mamo top end.

Definitely need to inspect the heads sooner than later though...
Old 03-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Javvy
Instructor

Mamo......
The following users liked this post:
Z0HM6 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Mamo top end.

Definitely need to inspect the heads sooner than later though...
thanks for the reply! Mind clarifying "mamo top end"?
Old 03-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Welcome to the fraternity.

For heads AHP seems to be the go-to place, AHP actually provides guidance/suggestions w/ a set-up for every need/driving requirement.
Nothing wrong w/ ones posted, at least as far as I'd know based on forum feed back.

Since already familiar w/ HP cars won't boor you w/ precautions concerning how a Z's rear end reacts under WOT if/when hitting sand/gravel/oil, especially dangerous w/ worn skins.
DO be careful until you learn the ways of these beasts, they can & do get-away so fast a driver and/or nannies can't save it fast enough to keep it outa a ditch wrecked, or worse.

Lots of solid member-owners w/ good advice at CF, just ask & you shall receive. Again, welcome.

We love seeing Stang converts.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Landru

For heads AHP seems to be the go-to place, AHP actually provides guidance/suggestions w/ a set-up for every need/driving requirement.
Nothing wrong w/ ones posted, at least as far as I'd know based on forum feed back.

Since already familiar w/ HP cars won't boor you w/ precautions concerning how a Z's rear end reacts under WOT if/when hitting sand/gravel/oil, especially dangerous w/ worn skins.
DO be careful until you learn the ways of these beasts, they can & do get-away so fast a driver and/or nannies can't save it fast enough to keep it outa a ditch wrecked, or worse.

Lots of solid member-owners w/ good advice at CF, just ask & you shall receive. Again, welcome.

I've been going out to some country roads and letting it rip to get a feel for the car and the stang just never gave the same sensation the z has given me... I do live about 2 hours away from texas speed so I was considering on taking my heads to them and getting a cam while im at it. Then I also spoke to CPR and they're recommending wcch heads with their cpr alpha cam. I looked into them because of this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ler-power.html
Last but not least I was checking out AI's 280cc package http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...cGMLS7Head.php
Just not too sure where to go from here, perhaps talk to a local tuner first and see what he recommends?
Old 03-16-2018, 04:22 PM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Been going to some country roads and letting it rip little by little. Far more impressed with the stock z than my GT. I was looking into CPR alpha cam with WCCH stage 2 heads because of this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ler-power.html
Was considering on going over to Texas speed since they're only two hours away and I could drop and pick up my heads, pick up a cam there while I'm at it.
Last but not least I came across advanced inductions 280cc head package http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...cGMLS7Head.php
Just want to figure out the right head and cam combination and not just jump to a massive cam. Perhaps I should find a reputable local tuner and ask for his opinion?
Old 03-16-2018, 04:58 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Tony Mamo has an excellent program for heads and cam LS7 cars. His complete combos regularly set horsepower records with independent tuners. He does not provide install services, but does provide excellent customer service and detailed one on one help with proper installation of his parts.

I have one of his complete combos installed on my Z06, and it broke the NA dyno record with my local shop. We even limited cam sizing to maintain better street manners while breaking that record.

Listen to the idle of my car. Its hard to belive it puts down 637 rear wheel horsepower with this smooth of an idle.

Last edited by redcycle13; 03-16-2018 at 05:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by redcycle13:
Apollo29 (03-16-2018), Landru (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:02 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Just want to figure out the right head and cam combination and not just jump to a massive cam. Perhaps I should find a reputable local tuner and ask for his opinion?
You'll get plenty of opins re H/C/I et al, have no doubt about it.

Glad you're slowly getting used to this car's ways, it's just smart.

As for mods et al?
I only drive one (10 years) & honestly stock power intimidates the bajebbers outa me, as-is.
Yes. I am admittedly a coward.

Fortunately there're many brave soul-owners here, built to the hilt.
They'll make themselves, their advice & their opinions known real soon.
Just remember, you asked for it.

Congrats once more, but do tell about your new Z -like trim etc.
Never tire hearing of a new owner's newly acquired monster in detail and besides, it'll be asked again several times anyway.
Z0HM6 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:02 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

CPR stuff is top notch.

Mamo packages are good, but pricey.

For all out, there is bigger/better but price goes way up. Some mozez or canted valve heads, with a big intake would make great power, but your looking at serious money.

AI or WCCH heads make great power. I'll have a set of PRC 285s that are a great head too for sale soon. Nn fact CPR has them right now at their machine shop cleaning then up.
Z0HM6 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:03 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

I see you are in Texas. You may want to consider these guys for your heads, they did mine and I'm very happy.
https://www.latemodelengines.com/heads.html

Good luck with your new ride.
Z0HM6 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:05 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Mamo Motorsports (Tony Mamo) TFS heads w/ YT mini-shaft roller rockers, Mamo ported MSD intake, and Mamo custom spec'd cam. Thread after thread on many SBE 600+ hp builds on here. Supposedly 11-12 new N/A record HP levels at various dyno's if that's your thing. Definitely top shelf stuff...but it of course comes at a premium.

For me, HP wasn't the primary concern...it was addressing the heads. I went the AHP route because of their unwavering forum support, exemplary customer service, meticulous approach and uniquely sourced materials to address the premature valve guide wear issue.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 03-16-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Z0HM6 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:13 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Where in Texas? I would contact Bret B, or one of the many great Texas people/shops.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:49 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

You won't need NOS after H/C/I/E . Not these beasts. You have all the best mentioned in this thread. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by REDZED2:
Apollo29 (03-16-2018), Z0HM6 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:59 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Another guy coming from a 5.0! I had a 2013 Boss 302 and purchased my Z 28 February. You sound like me, the stock Z is wayyy better than a modded 5.0!

I do not know much but AI/WCCH are what I narrowed it down to and I am going WCCH due to 2 week turn around time, AI is 1.5 to 2 months. TSP is good and I have heard/seen bad.

I am not going Mamo because of price, if you want to spend $10k+ to make the (arguably) best NA power out of your Z, he is the way to go. Many guys are in the 620-640 rwhp range with his setup.

You can still make close with AI/WCCH heads and a good cam. Read my thread about speccing a cam and other threads about Frankenstein/Brodix heads. Tons of information was brought out in those threads. Good luck man, welcome to the darkside. Which is now the light side haha.
Z0HM6 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:05 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I have a 5.0 too as a backup car. Actually prefer it to a Vette for around town duties. Both are great.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:09 PM
Z0HM6
Instructor

You'll get plenty of opins re H/C/I et al, have no doubt about it.

Glad you're slowly getting used to this car's ways, it's just smart.

As for mods et al?
I only drive one (10 years) & honestly stock power intimidates the bajebbers outa me, as-is.
Yes. I am admittedly a coward.

Fortunately there're many brave soul-owners here, built to the hilt.
They'll make themselves, their advice & their opinions known real soon.
Just remember, you asked for it.

Congrats once more, but do tell about your new Z -like trim etc.
Never tire hearing of a new owner's newly acquired monster in detail and besides, it'll be asked again several times anyway.
The z came with the 2lz trim. Really love the cluster of this car! Car just feels like a racecar! and the GT not so much. But to me its not so much about the interior or I would of just gone with a luxury brand. To me the luxury lies under the hood haha.
Landru (03-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a Z06 this past Saturday..

Old 03-16-2018, 06:11 PM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Unreal
Where in Texas? I would contact Bret B, or one of the many great Texas people/shops.
Houston, Tx!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:12 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

The z came with the 2lz trim. Really love the cluster of this car! Car just feels like a racecar! and the GT not so much. But to me its not so much about the interior or I would of just gone with a luxury brand. To me the luxury lies under the hood haha.
Haha same here, 2LT in Machine Silver. Race car is exactly how I put it as well haha. I feel the same way, it just so happened that my Z had 2LT. I did not care either way lol.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:13 PM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Originally Posted by redcycle13
Tony Mamo has an excellent program for heads and cam LS7 cars. His complete combos regularly set horsepower records with independent tuners. He does not provide install services, but does provide excellent customer service and detailed one on one help with proper installation of his parts.

I have one of his complete combos installed on my Z06, and it broke the NA dyno record with my local shop. We even limited cam sizing to maintain better street manners while breaking that record.

Listen to the idle of my car. Its hard to belive it puts down 637 rear wheel horsepower with this smooth of an idle.
Thanks for this! Mamo sounds the way to go based upon these replies. Also found this thread from Tony
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-600-rwhp.html
I'm expecting to drop 10k or so, so I've reached out to tony to see what he can do for me.
600+rwhp is pretty much what i'm looking for NA with a cam that won't kill cruises.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bought a Z06 this past Saturday..