Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Squeaky brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:16 PM
LS7Z
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeaky brake pads

Is it normal for these brakes to squeak? 8500 mile 2011 Zo6, checked pad thickness today and they look brand new. They seem to squeak more when they warm up. You can even hear them squeaking slightly when you aren't even touching the brake pedal. It's embarrassing hahaha. Can this be corrected by just swapping to a better pad? What brand/material is best?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:51 PM
SilverBulletC6Z
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you pull all of the calipers off and inspect each individual padlet?

When I bought my Z I had screeching sometimes and it turned out one padlet had fallen out for my front drivers wheel. The piston in the caliper had come all the way out of the caliper and proceeded to grind itself down against the rotor. Pressed the piston back into the caliper and dremeled the piston surface flat.

Replaced all brake padlets and rotors with Powerstop Z28's, absolutely love them and have no noise whatsoever while driving. The powerstops are really affordable too.

I know stock padlets are high performance pads and they are known to squeak so it could just be a natural feature of your car.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:31 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Cheep alternative to eliminate the squeal: Take the car out and do six 60-20 hard stops then 4 80-30 hard stops and drive with minimal braking for 10 minutes to cool everything off. If the squeal comes back months later, repeat. Note the OEM padlets taper wear and more near the axle than at the outer edge. The rears wear much less and are interchangeable with the fronts, so when the front pads get worn more than half, swap the 8 most worn pads with the 8 rear pads.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:47 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Here we go again.....Hard stop, been there done that, works for some, never worked for me with new OEM brake pads. I went with the Duralast Gold ceramic padlets under $105 front and back. These are not meant for track use, but work great for my street only use. I have over 200 city miles on the Duralast and haven't heard a peep, 08Z hasn't been washed in weeks and no visible brake dust. There are other brands that will work for you needs. Please see below link here on the forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-dust.html
Old 03-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by LS7Z
Is it normal for these brakes to squeak? 8500 mile 2011 Zo6, checked pad thickness today and they look brand new. They seem to squeak more when they warm up. You can even hear them squeaking slightly when you aren't even touching the brake pedal. It's embarrassing hahaha. Can this be corrected by just swapping to a better pad? What brand/material is best?
PM responded to. If you want to eliminate it permanently. I recommend using the Carbotech 1551 in the 1 piece design.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-21-2018, 01:18 PM
LS7Z
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
PM responded to. If you want to eliminate it permanently. I recommend using the Carbotech 1551 in the 1 piece design.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
Thanks, sent you a PM reply.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:02 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Amazing deal on good pads/rotors... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nced-auto.html
Old 03-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Amazing deal on good pads/rotors... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nced-auto.html
Really is an amazing deal. I recently swapped to the Powerstop Z26 pads and couldn't be happier. My competition gray wheels would be nearly black after a week. It's been about three weeks without a full wash (washing today!) and the wheels still look fine! No more squealing either.

Last edited by Frankie15; 03-21-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:02 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

high end or race pads will squeel when cold or when light pressure is applied.

the higher end heat range/friction coeefeccient pad the worse the squeel will get.

dust also goes up the same

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 03-22-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:04 PM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Carbotech 1521 is excellent. No squeak and great street brake padlets.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:41 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7Z
use the powerstop z26 padlets. They really are the best and 130 bucks at rock auto. I had them on my c6z and now my c7z. and the wheels stay spotless and easy on rotors

when doing the job do not use brake clean as it ruins finish on caliper use isopropyl alcohol and lightly sand the rotors. Then soak a paper towel with the alcohol and wipe down the rotor. Put the grease provided on the pad kit on the back side of the pad that butts up against the caliper piston. You’ll be good to go with quiet clean brakes that will never squeal. It’s an hour job. It took me 2 hours as I spent more time cleaning the inside barrels of the wheels and wheel wells with the tires off the car.

I actually think the powerstop stop better then the factory brembo pads. However for severe track use I heard they may fade. But do not know that for a fact nor do I care as I won’t track my cars.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-22-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaky brake pads

Quick Reply: [Z06] Squeaky brake pads