Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Adding a Cam vs. Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:05 PM
Craighole
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a Cam vs. Value

What is the consensus on whether or not modifying the motor adds or detracts from value?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:10 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Generally speaking...it could most likely detract in value, or make it very hard to find the "right buyer" because you've reduced your buyer pool. It does depend on what mods were talking about here. Fixed heads are a big exception here. Fixed heads and a giant cam...you've again alienated some potential buyers.

Its really a bit of a personal preference thing though. I prefer stock, unmodified vehicles when buying...certainly nothing more that appearance mods. I want my performance mods done with the parts I want, by the installers I want. Most people I encounter are similarly minded to myself, but not all.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 03-19-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Cost of engine mods is directly proportional to the value of the car.
Unfortunately, it's an inverse relationship.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 PM
Craighole
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Generally speaking...it could most likely detract in value, or make it very hard to find the "right buyer" because you've reduced your buyer pool. It does depend on what mods were talking about here. Fixed heads are a big exception here. Fixed heads and a giant cam...you've again alienated some potential buyers.

Its really a bit of a personal preference thing though. I prefer stock, unmodified vehicles when buying...certainly nothing more that appearance mods. I want my performance mods done with the parts I want, by the installers I want. Most people I encounter are similarly minded to myself, but not all.
I agree ... I have passed on modified for stock always. I prefer to do things myself, with the parts I want.

Last edited by Craighole; 03-19-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:32 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

No mods for me. I don't even want a car that claims to have the heads done. Why? Because I'm the jerk that trusts no one. If you told me you took the intake off because of a leak, I'd be pulling it off again to make sure it was done right. If you told me you just put new tires on it, I'd be there with a wrench checking the lug nuts. Just the way I am after 60+ years
Old 03-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Unless it is an extremely mild cam (baby cam), chances are whatever you do with a cam will have reduced it's value. And even with a baby cam, you will still turn certain **** retentive people away. God forbid if you even swapped out floor mats for some people. So don't consider that ANY modification you make adds in any possible way to resale value. At least not as a general consensus type of question. But perhaps to the right buyer that was already going to mod their car similar to whatever you have done it might be an attraction (they likely still won't pay more, but would prefer your car over a non-modded car for the same price).

I myself am not afraid of modded cars, and if done right have no problem buying one. But I won't pay more for one - unless it is a fully sorted race car with a log book.

Furthermore, for every $2 I have spent on modifying my car, the value has likely gone down by $1. I am good with that, as I don't buy the car as investment but rather to be built to my desires, driven hard and enjoyed often. If someone gives me $10 for whatever is left when I'm done with it then I will consider the whole operation to be money well spent and still $10 ahead. The very last thing I care about is what the next guy thinks (in fact I hope he hates it), and I certainly ain't saving my girl for the next guy. If I add up everything I have spent on my car and factor in the appropriate reduction in value this has achieved I conclude that my re-sale value is soon approaching zero. Mission accomplished.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:18 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Kinda laughing at this one. There is or was a Z on ebay with a blown engine. The guy is asking way to much money for it citing that "no expense was spared on the engine build (the blown engine). Like exactly what part of this no expense engine that blew up matters to the next guy? Your still buying a car with a junk engine no matter how much the engine cost.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:13 AM
Ghost Knight
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Craighole
What is the consensus on whether or not modifying the motor adds or detracts from value?
You can sell as HCI car as-is and people will buy it (a smaller pool). IMO, just plan on going back to stock cam when you sell it. I'd completely de-mod it and sell it that way.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 AM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

If I were to do it all over again, I would have bought a Vette already modded with the parts I would have added myself. If you find a Z06 with the exact parts you wanted to add and done at a reputable shop, you will save yourself a lot of liquid cash.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by stefuel
No mods for me. I don't even want a car that claims to have the heads done. Why? Because I'm the jerk that trusts no one. If you told me you took the intake off because of a leak, I'd be pulling it off again to make sure it was done right. If you told me you just put new tires on it, I'd be there with a wrench checking the lug nuts. Just the way I am after 60+ years
We're pretty much in the same boat.
To loosely quote Carrol Smith: "Any time you buy a race car, whether used or brand new, you'll need to take it apart and put it back together the right way."
Also suspicious that performance mods might be a fair indication that the car had been beat. I'd especially avoid a car with nitrous!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:55 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

It depends on the buyer. For me personally, I won't even consider buying a modded car. I want the car as it came from the factory. Honestly even if I were in the market for a C6Z I'd buy one that didn't have the heads serviced and have it done myself. I want to be the one to choose the shop and choose the parts.

I've also known way too many people that have issues with modded cars. So for me, it decreases the value and eliminates me as a potential buyer.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:06 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Like others have said... I only buy stock un modded cars. Mostly Vette's, fbods, Gbods, and occasional Ford Lightnings.. I clean em up, mod em and ALWAYS make a profit! Always!
I have found over the years that their is a buyer for everything... Just my opinion, experience.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

When I did my heads I did a lot of research and leaned towards parts that were overkill for my application. Of course, I ended up with extreme budget creep at the end as I'm one who abides by the philosophy that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, but I couldn't be happier with the end result. From the onset, my goals for the build were that I didn't want to pop the hood and have it look like a Frankenstein concoction of various aftermarket parts. Growing up, my Dad and I are car guys and I can't tell you how many used Chevelles and Corvettes we looked at and were turned off of because they were modified, and usually not to our tastes. A guy might have dumped $5k into the vehicle, but to me, it was worth $5k less than if he had kept it alone!

Given that, I still opted for PSI valve springs because of their lineage to NASCAR engines, and AHP's Moldstar90 valve guides because they were hands down, the best valve guide material available, (let's face it, the valve guides were the sole reason why I was going into the motor as I was, with just over 6,000 miles on the odometer.) As I kept going down the list, I selected parts that only added durability to my setup, such as Johnson SLR lifters, PowerBond Race Series balancer, and the CHE trunnion kit.

Lastly, I decided to swap the cam even though I had no aspiration of even a CAI let alone long tube headers, because I wanted a better cam with softer lobes specifically designed for LS motors. I went with a custom 8620 cam (greater durability of the lobes) from TSP with modest lifts and well-known durations and LSA's. Topped it off with a conservative tune by the same shop who did the work, all with an impeccable reputation in the LS and Corvette community in my area.

If I were to ever sell the car, I have all the paperwork of every part that went into the build, (of which I could readily speak to each and every part and why I choose what I did,) as well as the receipts for who did the work. I would have liked to have swapped the heads myself but the cam was more than I had the time to get into, and I figured if I did the work it would probably be of less value afterwards as opposed to being able to show receipts that it was done at a local shop with a great reputation.

I love my Z06 and I have no plans on selling it. It still looks stock, even under the hood, and for the most part most folks would never even know I had an aftermarket camshaft in the car, either. Runs quieter and smoother than the General ever had it running. If it were to ever go to a dealer in a trade, I doubt anyone would even know or be able to tell that it wasn't stock. Wasn't cheap, I probably couldn't get all of my investment into it out of it if I had to, but I don't plan on selling and it was worth it to me.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-results.html

Last edited by BigVette427; 03-20-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Adding a Cam vs. Value

Quick Reply: Adding a Cam vs. Value