Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Help no oil pressure on start up

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 PM
ldscamaross
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help no oil pressure on start up

Hey guys I need your help and thought to see what might be going on.
Here is the story. I just purchased a 2006 z06 with about 50k miles from copart. It apears the previous owner was involved in an accident with a deer or something and lost control and slid the car into a tree. The tree hit the driver side just behind the mirror and bent the frame. it hit hard enough to crack windshield and disrupt the plastic on the dash. He must have hit something low because the front driverside under the bumper got damaged as well. the oil cooler broke so the oil in it drained out. The car has probably sat for two months until today.

Today I went through the car to get it ready to start. I had an extra oil cooler which I replaced. I didnt put any oil in the car. I shined a flashlight down in to the dry sump and could see thier was oil in it.

I started it and it started right up and no check engine lights. I let it run about 30 seconds idling and then noticed on the info screen low oil pressure. I shut it off at once. At that time I didnt check to see what the pressure was.

I started again to check the pressure and the guage did the sweep and then went down to zero. Not sure why. ran for 5-10 sec

Things I checked.
-I felt the back of the firewall where the oil pressure sensor is, I think, to see if it got damaged in the accident and it felt fine.
- I pulled the dipstick and it appears some oil had moved because the dipstick was wet alot higher than before. At the start the very tip of the dipstick was wet.
- I double checked the connections on the oil cooler to see if they were leaking and they were fine.
- I checked the cooler lines from the block to the oil cooler to see if they were pinched but I didnt see any issues.

I thought about trying again but with the cost of the engine I figured I would ask for help and see if their are any ideas.

One thought I had was if their was air in the system because of replacing the oil cooler it could cause or delay the oil pressure. I read the owners manual on the dry sump but didn't gain any info there.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks

The car was running at the time of the accident so I wouldnt think the oil pump
Old 03-21-2018, 10:47 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Hook up a mechanical gauge.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:31 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Drain the oil from BOTH drain plugs. Replace the oil filter, add 8 new Qt.'s of oil, Run it for a few seconds to see if the pressure comes up. Don't forget to fill the oil filter with new oil before you install it. You have really no idea how much oil is in there right now.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:57 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Did you buy your own car back at auction??? Never seen a Copart auction listing theories about how the car got damaged. They only list what's damaged not that the car swerved to miss a pink elephant
Old 03-22-2018, 12:43 AM
ldscamaross
Instructor

Originally Posted by stefuel
Did you buy your own car back at auction??? Never seen a Copart auction listing theories about how the car got damaged. They only list what's damaged not that the car swerved to miss a pink elephant
not my own car. This car came from reno nevada. looks like the owner belonged to a corvette group there based on a sticker on the back. My guess is based on looking at the car. blood on the hood. pieces of wood stuck in the frame. ect
Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 AM
ldscamaross
Instructor

Originally Posted by meanjoe
Drain the oil from BOTH drain plugs. Replace the oil filter, add 8 new Qt.'s of oil, Run it for a few seconds to see if the pressure comes up. Don't forget to fill the oil filter with new oil before you install it. You have really no idea how much oil is in there right now.
Ill try that tomorrow. also thought about disconnecting the lines to cooler to see if they got any oil. I have no idea how much is in it or how much leaked out. if oil level is really low and oil in the dry sump could it have low oil pressure?
Old 03-22-2018, 01:01 AM
ldscamaross
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Hook up a mechanical gauge.
ill check that too
Old 03-22-2018, 10:46 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 03-22-2018, 02:01 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by ldscamaross
ill check that too
Seen many bad sending units confirmed by a mechanical. If the mechanical says zero, then there's a real problem.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:35 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Connect mechanical oil pressure gauge.
Disconnect connectors to the injectors and the coil packs to keep the motor from starting.
Get a helper and crank motor while looking at oil pressure.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:46 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Easier to pull the fuel pump relay from the ubec than disconnecting the injectors.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:17 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 3X2
Easier to pull the fuel pump relay from the ubec than disconnecting the injectors.
Even easier to hold the skinny pedal to the floor before and while cranking.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:32 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Even easier to hold the skinny pedal to the floor before and while cranking.
What? Holding the gas to the floor keeps the car from starting??? Damn, much easier!
Old 03-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

My money is on a bad or disconnected sensor from the accident....

DH
Old 03-22-2018, 11:18 PM
ldscamaross
Instructor

turns out there is was no oil in the engine. I took out both plugs and maybe a pint came out. There must be a baffle in the dry sump because I could see the reflection of the oil that is why I thought it was full. put in new oil and filter and started it and got 60+ psi. Thanks for your guys help. I like it when it is the easy things.

Last edited by ldscamaross; 03-23-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 PM
RyanT
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

No oil??? You’ve got to be kidding! How is that engine not trashed??
Old 03-23-2018, 12:30 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,282 Likes on 927 Posts

It will be lol

Get notified of new replies

To Help no oil pressure on start up

Old 03-23-2018, 05:51 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Would like to see pictures of the side damage. If it took a hit hard enough on the side to relocate the hinge pillar and bend the windshield frame, I'm guessing you are in for more money then it's worth to fix it.
Not saying it can't be done. Pretty much have to gut the interior to replace the window frame, frame rail and pillar. Have not done one but it's my understanding that the window frame is not a repair item. If it's cracked or bent it should be replaced. Then you have to consider what you're working with. Seen plenty of DIY's with the ability to weld steel.
Very few with the ability (or the equipment) to weld aluminum and repairing the Z's aluminum frame is not the place to learn.

And then, there's the engine being run with no oil in it and you don't know if someone else tried to run it before you. I'm guessing Copart did so they could list it as running or not. Choose your path wisely.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 AM
ldscamaross
Instructor

im not planning on fixing it, it is well beyond that. I bought it as a parts car. I dont think they tried starting it at copart. The battery was dead and showed no mileage plus they didnt have the key to the car to try. I have two other cars that I am using the parts for. The engine is fine. I really dont think it idling for 30 seconds and shut off would do the damage some of the posters are thinking. oil has come a long way and synthetic is designed to protect at start up. Obviously not having oil in isnt good but. lets be realistic.

I dont understand how having an engine go would be an event to laugh out loud. We all have a lot of money riding in these cars and I came to the forum to ask for help. I appreciate those that tried to help.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2018, 12:45 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Seen many bad sending units confirmed by a mechanical. If the mechanical says zero, then there's a real problem.

this is true mine failed from sitting for two months and maybe from a low battery?

Quick Reply: Help no oil pressure on start up