Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Steps to removing the trans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:06 AM
Snaps
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Steps to removing the trans?

'09 ZR1

I would like some ideas on where to look for step by step guides for removing and replacing the transmission. With torque and Loctite specs. Is there an online PDF I could purchase, I know shops use different online manuals but I've heard they are costly.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:15 AM
rnich56
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Snaps
'09 ZR1

I would like some ideas on where to look for step by step guides for removing and replacing the transmission. With torque and Loctite specs. Is there an online PDF I could purchase, I know shops use different online manuals but I've heard they are costly.
I have been using alldatadiy.com. I know other members use this as well.

1 year subscription costs around $26/annually. I would rather paper manuals but decided to give this a try. So far so good with what maintenance I have been performing. I haven't tried to tackle anything as big as removing the transmission though.

Rick

Last edited by rnich56; 03-31-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:24 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Transmission

PM me your e-mail address. I just got finished replacing my 6-speed manual in my C6. Send you somes.pdg files I made from GM service manuals... I'll include some tips learned along the way.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:41 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Tips on a 2006 Z51 (might help)

Originally Posted by JimsCorvettes
PM me your e-mail address. I just got finished replacing my 6-speed manual in my C6. Send you somes.pdg files I made from GM service manuals... I'll include some tips learned along the way.

I just got done replacing the 6-Speed manual transmission in my 2006 Z51 Corvette. Here are some miscellaneous tips I learned along the way that might help somebody else in a transmission swap.

There are three special tools mentioned in the service manuals I didn't use but one of them. (Transmission jack) one of which was a spring compressor and if you do one side of the spring at a time with a floor jack to apply pressure you'll be just fine.

The service manual I used did not tell me to remove the shifter. Well you have to remove the shifter.

You will want to drain the differential fluid along with the transmission fluid.

We had to remove the right rear brake line off the caliper and not the left side.

Take care as not to bend the fuel lines or pinch the fuel lines in the tunnel.

The brake line that goes from the right rear side to the left rear side of the car goes under the differential. The darn thing is bent and so many different directions that took an hour to figure that one out.

You have to remove the clutch hose underneath the brake power booster. Try not to let the spring clip get away from you. Ask me why I know that. And to install the cable after the swap, install the spring clip first. Then install the hose on to the fitting under the brake booster. You will hear a click if you got it installed correctly. It’s a very noticeable click ....... you'll know it when you hear it.

You have to drop the torque tube with the transmission because there is a roll pin inside the transmission housing that connects to the shifting rod. The only way to get to it is dropping the torque tube with the transmission. Then separate the two after it’s out of the car.

If you are doing a Z51 Corvette with a transmission cooler make sure the O-rings are still inside the fitting in both cooler lines.

I've made PDF copies of my factory service manual on a transmission swap. Be glad to send them to anybody just let me know.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I just got done replacing the 6-Speed manual transmission in my 2006 Z51 Corvette. Here are some miscellaneous tips I learned along the way that might help somebody else in a transmission swap.

There are three special tools mentioned in the service manuals I didn't use but one of them. (Transmission jack) one of which was a spring compressor and if you do one side of the spring at a time with a floor jack to apply pressure you'll be just fine.

The service manual I used did not tell me to remove the shifter. Well you have to remove the shifter.

You will want to drain the differential fluid along with the transmission fluid.

We had to remove the right rear brake line off the caliper and not the left side.

Take care as not to bend the fuel lines or pinch the fuel lines in the tunnel.

The brake line that goes from the right rear side to the left rear side of the car goes under the differential. The darn thing is bent and so many different directions that took an hour to figure that one out.

You have to remove the clutch hose underneath the brake power booster. Try not to let the spring clip get away from you. Ask me why I know that. And to install the cable after the swap, install the spring clip first. Then install the hose on to the fitting under the brake booster. You will hear a click if you got it installed correctly. It’s a very noticeable click ....... you'll know it when you hear it.

You have to drop the torque tube with the transmission because there is a roll pin inside the transmission housing that connects to the shifting rod. The only way to get to it is dropping the torque tube with the transmission. Then separate the two after it’s out of the car.

If you are doing a Z51 Corvette with a transmission cooler make sure the O-rings are still inside the fitting in both cooler lines.

I've made PDF copies of my factory service manual on a transmission swap. Be glad to send them to anybody just let me know.
I would love a copy please and thank you. jordanzachary@hotmail.com
Old 04-03-2018, 12:23 PM
chuzo
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

Are there any tips for the re-installation when removing the transmission and the differential?
I got a new O-ring p/n "89060132" , but differential oil still leaks.

part 1 on this diagram:

https://nemigaparts.com/img/catalogs...a_2/202264.png

any help is appreciated

my email: adapena1@outlook.com
Old 04-03-2018, 06:42 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

I didn't drop the TT when I pulled the trans out of my ZR1. I removed the bolt that holds the rod at the shifter & pulled the rod out with the trans. I did lower the TT, but no problem getting the trans out otherwise.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:26 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Copies Sent

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
I would love a copy please and thank you. jordanzachary@hotmail.com
Just sent you 4 e-mails of .pdf copies of my 2005 service manual on removal of a 6-Speed....

Hope this helps!
Old 04-04-2018, 05:30 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jft69z
I didn't drop the TT when I pulled the trans out of my ZR1. I removed the bolt that holds the rod at the shifter & pulled the rod out with the trans. I did lower the TT, but no problem getting the trans out otherwise.

I have 2 C6 Corvettes.... Just bought a ZR1 so I am reading this thread as well. The ZR1 is probably a bit different than my C6 Z51... The TT removal was more involved.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:25 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Just sent you 4 e-mails of .pdf copies of my 2005 service manual on removal of a 6-Speed....

Hope this helps!
Recieved. You're the man, thanks so much.
Z
Old 11-14-2018, 10:56 AM
STL Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Doing a clutch in my 09 C6 Z right now, could I get copies as well?

mcbenes@gmail.com

Thx,
Mike
Old 11-14-2018, 12:42 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

I have 2 C6 Corvettes.... Just bought a ZR1 so I am reading this thread as well. The ZR1 is probably a bit different than my C6 Z51... The TT removal was more involved.
Base, Z06, GS, ZR1 do not need to remove the torque tube to pull the trans and diff. Never have on any c5 or c6... Or c7. Pull the upper shifter off, loosen the clamp bolt for the shifter rod and pull the trans and diff off.
The following users liked this post:
seamus2154 (01-21-2024)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:18 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by jft69z
did the same !!!!!!
Old 01-08-2024, 10:48 AM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the middle of it. But I'm always on the lookout for more resources. If you happen to see this message and still have those PDFs I would love them. My email is sgarcia8028@gmail.com

I made my own google doc of the tutorial someone else posted so I can use my tablet but still.
My email is sgarcia8028@gmail.com

Get notified of new replies

To Steps to removing the trans?

Quick Reply: Steps to removing the trans?