Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] zr1 leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 AM
panterasteve
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default zr1 leaf springs

hi guys im wanting to experiment in changing out the leaf springs on my zr1 so please dont shoot me down
where i live i drive around the moors and hills and find mid corner if i hit bumps or uneven surfaces when im pushing on a bit the back end steps out and i have to back right off
on perfect roads the zr1 handles great but in our country the roads are complete zhite and in other fast road/supercars owned ive never had this problem before,
so the question is do other c6 model leaf springs swap over to zr1 without modifications ?
im thinking the c6 z51 leaf springs to experiment with may be the way to go first !
Old 04-01-2018, 11:03 AM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Have you considered coilovers? Only way for truly independent suspension on all four corners.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

Any car is going to freak out with mid corner bumps. Id change shocks not springs...
Old 04-04-2018, 02:28 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by panterasteve
hi guys im wanting to experiment in changing out the leaf springs on my zr1 so please dont shoot me down
where i live i drive around the moors and hills and find mid corner if i hit bumps or uneven surfaces when im pushing on a bit the back end steps out and i have to back right off
on perfect roads the zr1 handles great but in our country the roads are complete zhite and in other fast road/supercars owned ive never had this problem before,
so the question is do other c6 model leaf springs swap over to zr1 without modifications ?
im thinking the c6 z51 leaf springs to experiment with may be the way to go first !
You have mag ride...that's the sh*t for ride comfort in touring mode as far as I'm concerned. Where do you routinely have yours set at?

As for springs...the ZR1 already has the Z51 leaf on the front of the car, and the rear spring is a "modified Z06 spring with a bit less material". http://www.superchevy.com/features/0...nd-future-king

C6 rear spring rates are as follows:
Base C6: 657
C6 Z51: 645
C6 Z06: 782
C6 ZR1: ???

The rear Zr1 spring is a bit of a mystery as far as I have researched, but I'd be surprised if its not a 7xx spring rate.

I personally wouldn't downgrade my spring for fear of what that may do to high speed stability....but if I was dead set on doing a swap, I'd probably throw a base C6 spring in there just because its a tad stiffer than the Z51 spring. And then I would drive that car like a grandpa...which would be a shame.

As previously suggested, disable mag ride and install coilovers set to "Cadillac" ride comfort may be the best course of action for you.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 04-04-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

I also say (if you elect to go coil over route) to never underestimate the performance AND comfort achieved by progressive rate springs.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:35 AM
panterasteve
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you very much guys for all your replies much appreciated

talking with with someone nearby who races ferraris and owns a zo6 too and with this also the great info on this site i think i can conclude maybe for me the issue is in the shox and not the springs!

ive tried in both settings and if anything seems slightly better in sport mode
i drive the twisty roads around where i live a lot but constantly have to back off in corners which is spoiling my enjoyment of the car
and for me i think the suspension is too harsh for where i live as the roads in uk are terrible

so looks as though best option is to look at replacing the shox
ive always used bilsteins in the past and can get hold of them quite easily here in uk or maybe go coil overs from usa supplier,

ive tried searching here on how to remove magnaride from zr1 electronics but cant see a permanant solution

is there step by step process out there to permantly resolve and remove the electronics software or fix from my 2009 zr1 ?

Get notified of new replies

To zr1 leaf springs

Quick Reply: [ZR1] zr1 leaf springs