Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 stall and no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 06:53 PM
sdgearhe
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

glad to hear the good news. keep us informed
Old 04-07-2018, 07:30 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

No codes until just now??? Inspect the crank sensor and it's related wires
first before going out and buying one. You may have unplugged or damaged a wire while working on it.
I don't think the solenoid was your problem. I think it was ground related.
The car is 12 years old now. Search out and clean all grounds.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:41 PM
NAH801
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by double06
When you replace sensor you need to go find someone with a Tech 2 to then fine tune the sensor. But it will start and run when you put sensor in.
I’ve always found that weird but will do!
Old 04-08-2018, 01:43 PM
NAH801
Advanced

Originally Posted by stefuel
No codes until just now??? Inspect the crank sensor and it's related wires
first before going out and buying one. You may have unplugged or damaged a wire while working on it.
I don't think the solenoid was your problem. I think it was ground related.
The car is 12 years old now. Search out and clean all grounds.
it had the same codes when the car first died but since it had low voltage I was told that’s why the code originally came on. When I tried to start the car yesterday it had 13.6 volts and the code came back after I’d cleared all codes. The wiring looked good on the sensor though.

i also only changed the solenoid cuz I broke the plug. I also already cleaned all grounds and even added a new one and a new negative battery terminal.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:02 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

So the car threw a crank position sensor code when this all started, and after lots of troubleshoot and guess work, it turned out to be none other than the crank position sensor. Go figure LOL
Old 04-09-2018, 03:11 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by NAH801
i also only changed the solenoid cuz I broke the plug. I also already cleaned all grounds and even added a new one and a new negative battery terminal.
Great, now replace CP sensor and put this to bed.
Might've been a good idea mentioning a code was present, regardless voltage.

Here's to your being back on the road, soon.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:50 PM
NAH801
Advanced

Good news: she fired right up after the new sensor.

bad news: she had a lot of bearing screech and metal shavings all in the oil filter.

Looks like another LS7 engine failure
Old 04-09-2018, 10:05 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Good news: she fired right up after the new sensor.

bad news: she had a lot of bearing screech and metal shavings all in the oil filter.

Looks like another LS7 engine failure
wow why would that happen though? Hopefully
after tear down it’s just crank bearings or turning the crank? I can’t see this equivalent as a valve dropping and destructing the entire engine?
Old 04-10-2018, 06:49 AM
NAH801
Advanced

Originally Posted by JesC6Z

wow why would that happen though? Hopefully
after tear down it’s just crank bearings or turning the crank? I can’t see this equivalent as a valve dropping and destructing the entire engine?
i borescoped the engine earlier. All the valves are good thankfully. I think I’m just one of the unlucky 06 owners with oil pump failure.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Can't catch a break.

LS7 life exits though block.
Leaves one hellova of a mess. oil & coolant puddles.
There'd have been no doubt at first glance.

Now, this?

Update w/ progress.
Curious WTH went wrong, here.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:21 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

In post #23 you stated you looked at the oil and there was no bearing debris. How did you conclude that? You didn't drain the oil and forget to fill it back up again before running it???

I'm kinda at a loss how you could have three seemingly unrelated things happen at the same time.
1. car died while driving then wouldn't start. Wouldn't crank over BUT spun over by hand. Working on the grounds made it crank over.
2. still no start Has codes that we were not made aware of leading to the crankshaft sensor. Replacing the sensor made it start then....
3. mysterious bearing failure

Someone please bitch-slap me and tell me what I'm missing here
Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

When you pulled sensor out did it have goop sticking to it? If you had metal in oil and a it is a magnet (thus the metal filled oil goop sticks to it) was that causing issues?
Old 04-11-2018, 05:49 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

What you are missing is - nothing! Your summary is spot on
Old 04-12-2018, 12:30 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

This is clearly a coincidental simultaneous failure of battery, solenoid, crank sensor, bearings, AND entire LS7 engine all at once. It happens.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 AM
NAH801
Advanced

In post #23 you stated you looked at the oil and there was no bearing debris. How did you conclude that? You didn't drain the oil and forget to fill it back up again before running it???

I'm kinda at a loss how you could have three seemingly unrelated things happen at the same time.
1. car died while driving then wouldn't start. Wouldn't crank over BUT spun over by hand. Working on the grounds made it crank over.
2. still no start Has codes that we were not made aware of leading to the crankshaft sensor. Replacing the sensor made it start then....
3. mysterious bearing failure

i drained the oil and put new oil back in it. Since I didn’t see metal in the oil I didn’t think to check the filter. I decided to finally replace the crank sensor against the advice of some other people. Sorry I didn’t mention the code earlier. I spaced it due to some bad advice I was given. After the car cranked right up it sounded like what was described to me as bearing noise according to a couple other people who had something similar happen. I pulled the filter and wallah. Shavings everywhere in the filter. Apparently the filter caught everything. Going back and looking through the oil there are very very small brass looking metal particles. There’s so little of them in the oil I didn’t even notice the first time I checked. So my deduction is the car probably just lost oil pressure when it stalled and took the crank sensor along with it.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-26-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:28 AM
NAH801
Advanced

That said, the motor is going to come out next weekend and will be going in for a shortblock rebuild along with a cam and some head work.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:36 PM
09ZR1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry for the lengthy post!

Guys, I’m about at my wits end with this car lol. 2006 Z06. I just got done doing a pull to the top of 3rd gear and the engine stalled on deceleration and wouldn’t turn back on. No loud boom or anything. No smoke, no oil spill, no coolant. Car was even in gear and coasted just fine. I didn’t even realize it had stalled for a couple seconds till I looked down and saw all my gauges at 0. Got the car towed to my buddies garage.

Fast forward after a few hours of testing and brainstorming the battery, alternator, and starter have all checked out as good. I even had the alternator looked at for a bad diode and it passed. The engine turns over by hand and the starter will turn it as well.

The issue is when I try to start the car the starter engages but won’t turn the engine till a second or two after you press the button and then it turns it once or twice very very slowly, like the battery is dead (it’s good though). Obviously the car won’t start. I noticed a broken plug on the solenoid that prevents the male plug from the chassis from clipping on properly but I can’t imagine that’d cause the engine to stall while driving? All the fuses checked out good and from what I can see the grounds are good too.

I ordered a new solenoid but I fear even when it gets here it won’t fix the issue. Anyone have any ideas as to what’s going on? Again, sorry for the lengthy post.
I had the exact same symptoms on my 2011 ZO6, turned out it was the starter even though it checked out fine on the bench. They are prone to failure due to the location near the header, be sure to install the heat shield mat the new one comes with. BTW they ain’t cheap either
Old 06-07-2018, 08:40 PM
NAH801
Advanced

Default Update

It’s been awhile since I replied to this thread but I felt like someone would like to see an update.

after tearing into the motor we discovered 3 spun rod bearings. The debri from those bearings took out 6 rods and the crank with it.

As of now the engine is getting a forged bottom in put in it as well as getting a BTR stage 3 cam and having the heads worked. Also I figured while the car was down I’d put a new clutch in and I upgraded to stop tech brake rotors with hawk hp+ pads and a few cosmetic things here and there. Should be a fun street car until I can replenish the bank account lol.

for anyone who’s curious the engine work alone is about $6k and that’s with me pulling the engine and putting it back in while the local shop handles the rebuild.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

It’s been awhile since I replied to this thread but I felt like someone would like to see an update.

after tearing into the motor we discovered 3 spun rod bearings. The debri from those bearings took out 6 rods and the crank with it.

As of now the engine is getting a forged bottom in put in it as well as getting a BTR stage 3 cam and having the heads worked. Also I figured while the car was down I’d put a new clutch in and I upgraded to stop tech brake rotors with hawk hp+ pads and a few cosmetic things here and there. Should be a fun street car until I can replenish the bank account lol.

for anyone who’s curious the engine work alone is about $6k and that’s with me pulling the engine and putting it back in while the local shop handles the rebuild.
Hope you get many miles of fun after its put back together.

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 stall and no start issue