Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Against the grain

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:32 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

Sweet, just wanted to make sure.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:44 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like you wasted some juice a couple times 😂

Loved the 700whp Bmw with the anchor out the back.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:16 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Haven't updated this in a while...

I installed my ARH 2" headers and re-dyno'd on motor. Peak HP is down 16whp from when I first put the car back together. Made best of 630whp and 546wtq. We were able to add 1 extra degree of timing and it picked up some torque. Overall, the curve was pretty similar, until 6000+ where it started to dip. There's either something really wrong with the motor or something else is going on.

My guess is the springs are fatigued already. They were installed, brand new, back in June. I've been revving the motor to 7500+ a few times a week since then. I honestly believe this is the cause for the drop in power up top. I want to run the new TSP roller rockers. These should require a little more spring pressure to control the extra weight over the valve tip. Maybe I will swap springs, re-dyno, and then swap rockers.

Bought a Mantic twin disc. This will drop a little weight from the Monster LT1-S and should also handle a good deal of extra power. Haven't had any issues with the Monster, but I want to pull it out before I do.

Pulled a little bit of weight out of the car. Got rid of all the sound deadening under the carpet, got rid of the onstar module under the pass seat, ordered the Shorai battery, bought an aftermarket steering wheel and hub adapter, and took out the 4 speakers in the doors (2 each side). The driver side speaker was "blown" so I was already listening to the radio with rear bias. All this, along with the clutch, should be about 70-80lbs lost. That will make a noticeable difference.

Not sure what the plans are going forward. Debating on a direct port kit or to just upgrade my single nozzle. Definitely gonna drop a little more weight, where I can. I want to get the car to 3,000lbs with me in it. Roughly ~130lbs more to lose. I've already lost 30lbs myself.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw

I installed my ARH 2" headers and re-dyno'd on motor. Peak HP is down 16whp from when I first put the car back together. Made best of 630whp and 546wtq. We were able to add 1 extra degree of timing and it picked up some torque. Overall, the curve was pretty similar, until 6000+ where it started to dip. There's either something really wrong with the motor or something else is going on.

My guess is the springs are fatigued already. They were installed, brand new, back in June. I've been revving the motor to 7500+ a few times a week since then. I honestly believe this is the cause for the drop in power up top. I want to run the new TSP roller rockers. These should require a little more spring pressure to control the extra weight over the valve tip. Maybe I will swap springs, re-dyno, and then swap rockers.

Bought a Mantic twin disc. This will drop a little weight from the Monster LT1-S and should also handle a good deal of extra power. Haven't had any issues with the Monster, but I want to pull it out before I do.

Pulled a little bit of weight out of the car. Got rid of all the sound deadening under the carpet, got rid of the onstar module under the pass seat, ordered the Shorai battery, bought an aftermarket steering wheel and hub adapter, and took out the 4 speakers in the doors (2 each side). The driver side speaker was "blown" so I was already listening to the radio with rear bias. All this, along with the clutch, should be about 70-80lbs lost. That will make a noticeable difference.

Not sure what the plans are going forward. Debating on a direct port kit or to just upgrade my single nozzle. Definitely gonna drop a little more weight, where I can. I want to get the car to 3,000lbs with me in it. Roughly ~130lbs more to lose. I've already lost 30lbs myself.
Damn, thats gonna be lite.
On the springs, I'm starting not to believe in how long they'll last on big lifts with people that actually race. I'm on my 2nd set of .660 springs; 1st set was TSP .660's and 3 broke within 3000 miles. Replaced with PAC .660's and they've been fine with me going to 7400 most races.
I'm looking at the TSP Roller Tips too but waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig
Old 01-06-2019, 04:40 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
Damn, thats gonna be lite.
On the springs, I'm starting not to believe in how long they'll last on big lifts with people that actually race. I'm on my 2nd set of .660 springs; 1st set was TSP .660's and 3 broke within 3000 miles. Replaced with PAC .660's and they've been fine with me going to 7400 most races.
I'm looking at the TSP Roller Tips too but waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig
My first set of springs( BTR .660 w/ ti retainers), the valves pulled through the retainers. Those were on the car for about ~7k miles. These "new" ones are the TSP/PAC .660 polished spring with BTR titanium retainers.

I don't think I'd be far off in saying that I probably drive my car harder than 90% of Z06 owners. I am constantly racing, dynoing, or just even doing solo pulls on the street. The last 2-3k miles have been nothing but driving to the race meet or track, beating on the car, and driving it home. Which is how "old" the springs are. Maybe a smidge more.

I don't mind being the guinea pig for the new rockers.

I loaned Jason @ TSP my 108mm TB so he can test on his max effort LS3 motor. I don't believe they are looking for testers, since they are already available for purchase. But I will try to talk to him about them. Pretty sure I will need to step up to the PAC 1207x spring kit.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:13 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

Did you ever have any NVH at certain RPM’s with the Monster clutch? I have the LT1-S and love it, but at 1800 under load in 4th-6th it vibrates the car pretty bad. I figure it’s the undamped hub resonanting at a natural engine frequency.

The Mantic is a sprung hub I believe?
Old 01-06-2019, 05:29 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ls404fd
Did you ever have any NVH at certain RPM’s with the Monster clutch? I have the LT1-S and love it, but at 1800 under load in 4th-6th it vibrates the car pretty bad. I figure it’s the undamped hub resonanting at a natural engine frequency.

The Mantic is a sprung hub I believe?
Not that I've noticed. At least nothing that I can attribute to the clutch itself. I do have some weird vibration around 75mph but nothing that I can feel. When I have my bottles loaded up in the back, they brackets will shake at around 75mph.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:44 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

My first set of springs( BTR .660 w/ ti retainers), the valves pulled through the retainers. Those were on the car for about ~7k miles. These "new" ones are the TSP/PAC .660 polished spring with BTR titanium retainers.

I don't think I'd be far off in saying that I probably drive my car harder than 90% of Z06 owners. I am constantly racing, dynoing, or just even doing solo pulls on the street. The last 2-3k miles have been nothing but driving to the race meet or track, beating on the car, and driving it home. Which is how "old" the springs are. Maybe a smidge more.

I don't mind being the guinea pig for the new rockers.

I loaned Jason @ TSP my 108mm TB so he can test on his max effort LS3 motor. I don't believe they are looking for testers, since they are already available for purchase. But I will try to talk to him about them. Pretty sure I will need to step up to the PAC 1207x spring kit.
That's what I'm saying, people who actually beat on the car aren't going to get a lot of miles from these springs, I drive about the same. Built the car to beat on, not putt putt around in
Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
That's what I'm saying, people who actually beat on the car aren't going to get a lot of miles from these springs, I drive about the same. Built the car to beat on, not putt putt around in
Going to order springs and the rockers soon. Will report back with results.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

My car made almost exactly what yours did and I think that we are running a similar cam and the same clutch.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:36 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Most curious.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:49 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rbo-build.html
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:03 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

So is it cost/horsepower, or the ultimate power goal that's driving you to forced induction? Loved your high reving NA/Nitrous pulls. If winning is the most important thing to you I guess it doesn't really matter how you get in front, so long as you stay there
Old 01-21-2019, 07:12 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ls404fd
So is it cost/horsepower, or the ultimate power goal that's driving you to forced induction? Loved your high reving NA/Nitrous pulls. If winning is the most important thing to you I guess it doesn't really matter how you get in front, so long as you stay there
It's more wanting to have the power on tap at all times, instead of just when the bottle is connected. It'll still be high revving, just with some boost added to it.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:14 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

It's more wanting to have the power on tap at all times, instead of just when the bottle is connected.
How I've always felt over the years...All throttle, no bottle.
The following users liked this post:
jayyyw (01-21-2019)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Against the grain