Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Against the grain

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 02:54 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

FI vs NA = (In general terms) Two completely different HP/TQ curves.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:44 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

So, back to my graph. The area in between 6500-7200. Would that not be caused by valve float? Or is that generalization not valid?
Old 04-23-2018, 05:44 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
Bottom line: Vehicle A and Vehicle Z both are held at any steady state output which we measure and determine in terms of Watts,
Agreed, but they aren't held at steady state output in the real world, and they get heat soaked in the real world. That's why an N/A car will typically beat a supercharged car with a bit more horsepower, and even sometimes a lot more horsepower. I've seen it myself, on both sides of the coin.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:39 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Since I'll be installing an ATI balancer, I've decided to change out the cam. I'll already be most of the way into it, so I might as well.

I sent in a camshaft questionnaire to Pat G. Anxious to see what he comes up with. This time, I'll actually run what he specs me. I opted not to run his cam the first time around and pretty much regret it at this point.

So, I'll be doing an ATI UD balancer, Pat G cam, pushrods and PAC springs.

I also have the PRC 285cc heads on stand by if I need them.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:48 AM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Since I'll be installing an ATI balancer, I've decided to change out the cam. I'll already be most of the way into it, so I might as well.

I sent in a camshaft questionnaire to Pat G. Anxious to see what he comes up with. This time, I'll actually run what he specs me. I opted not to run his cam the first time around and pretty much regret it at this point.

Why do you want to change out the cam and why did you regret it?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:56 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

I went with an off the shelf, un-tested, grind, instead of something custom spec'd for my exact setup. Just because it "seemed" bigger and I stupidly thought it'd make more/better power.

Nothing wrong with the TSP grind but now that it's being used a little more, it looks like it's tapped out in the very low 600whp range. Meanwhile, other similar grinds are making more average/peak power.

It did work for what I wanted but I feel I need something catered to my setup now.

Again, the only thing that sparked this was the fact that I'll be changing the balancer out. I'll be, roughly, 75% of the way into a camshaft change at that point, crazy not to do it.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 AM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something but those numbers seem pretty solid for your setup. Keep in mind the TSP cam is ground on "ls friendly lobes". Based on some of the numbers out there, it seems like the less aggressive the lobe, the less power it makes, but it's a tradeoff for longevity. I'm sure if you put those same specs on an agressive comp lobe then you'd make more power.

I'll bet you that Pat G will spec you a TSP cam, he really likes their lobes for LS engines.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:21 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

What are you expecting with the Pat G cam? What's your goal?
Old 05-14-2018, 10:09 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

I consider my setup to be more "max effort" than most. I feel I'm willing to take it a step further to gain an edge. After all, that is why I bought the car.

That being said, I just want a cam tailored to my setup. I told Pat G that drivability was not a concern for me. This is a highway/1/4mi car. I told him I am looking for top end gains and acceleration. I'd love to be in the 630-650whp range on my tuner's dyno. Which would be the highest NA LS7 he has tuned.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:38 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I would throw on the PRC’s, you have the Hi-Ram and the 285’s would love all of that air! That and I want to see Hi-Ram with PRC 285 results. I thought about an UD pulley but I am not going max effort-ish (for now lol).

I consider my setup to be more "max effort" than most. I feel I'm willing to take it a step further to gain an edge. After all, that is why I bought the car.

That being said, I just want a cam tailored to my setup. I told Pat G that drivability was not a concern for me. This is a highway/1/4mi car. I told him I am looking for top end gains and acceleration. I'd love to be in the 630-650whp range on my tuner's dyno. Which would be the highest NA LS7 he has tuned.
I bet with a custom Pat G cam you should see over 630 rwhp. Are you on 93 octane still or E85? Of course each dyno is different and you may see 630 on your tuner’s dyno and 650 somewhere else.

I think it would be dope to see you with the PRC 285’s which would put you with a similar setup as me but you have the Hi-Ram/NW102 and I am on a ported MSD/ported stock TB. Of course our cams will be a tad different and you have the UD pulley.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:29 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

You have a poorly optimized top end and valve train. It is fighting to make power.

It was worth a shot. I’m not done. I’ll be reinstalling my vararam intake and retrying. After a discussion with a forum member, we think the 4.5” intake may be hurting instead of helping because the incoming velocity has slowed down drastically.
Intake track upstream of the TB should not be restrictive. Velocity starts playing a role after the plenum.

248/260 .656/.656 111+3lsa
Too much camshaft for a 7200 peak rpm 427cid. Not enough exhaust duration for those heads. LPE port work is not known for big power or high rpm. Frankly, those cam specs look horrid to me. You should consider one of Mike Jones's inverse rollers, seeing how you don't care about lower rpm drivability. That intake wants to see 8000 rpm.

PAC 1209x
Install Height: 1.800"
Closed Spring Pressure: 160 lb. @ 1.800" Installed Height
Open Spring Pressure: 510 lb. @ 1.100" Height (.700" Lift)
Maximum Spring Lift: .750"
Coil Bind 1.000"

I am running Morel drop-in lifters with plastic trays. Would these springs be too much for those lifters?
Bad choice. Horrible actually.

I would find new friends to get advice from.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:00 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Michael_D
You have a poorly optimized top end and valve train. It is fighting to make power.
I 100% agree. It was basically close your eyes, choose a part and throw it together. Just trying to work with what I have.

Too much camshaft for a 7200 peak rpm 427cid. Not enough exhaust duration for those heads. LPE port work is not known for big power or high rpm. Frankly, those cam specs look horrid to me. You should consider one of Mike Jones's inverse rollers, seeing how you don't care about lower rpm drivability. That intake wants to see 8000 rpm.
I've seen LPE heads make power/high rpm. It's not the norm because most people don't push it that far. I know my issues are not because of the heads themselves, but the overall valvetrain/camshaft.

Hoping Pat G can set me straight and get me where I want.

Would you trust the stock bottom end to rev to 8k? If not, how would you set it up to do so? Next year I want to do forged pistons and ARP rod bolts. Is there a dry sump oil pump that can sustain that RPM? I know there are a few for a wet sump.

Bad choice. Horrible actually.

I would find new friends to get advice from.
I was just looking for an opinion. Trying to research on my own. Getting bits and pieces. This is my first LS motor and pretty much first time trying to get this wild into a build.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond here.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:05 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Innovate

I bet with a custom Pat G cam you should see over 630 rwhp. Are you on 93 octane still or E85? Of course each dyno is different and you may see 630 on your tuner’s dyno and 650 somewhere else.
I run e85

Dyno's vary way too much. I'm not really worried about what I make on another one. I have multiple pulls done on my tuner's dyno, which is why I want to compare on that one. A buddy of mine just sent me some results where he made 630ish on one dyno and 600 on another.

Last edited by jayyyw; 05-14-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:46 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Did you discuss solid roller cams at all?
Old 05-14-2018, 02:59 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I'm not there yet. That would be another ~$2-2500 investment towards just the components to run it. It's possible for next year. I REALLY don't want to pull my heads. IF I do, it'll likely happen. I just want the car running for the rest of this season.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I run e85

Dyno's vary way too much. I'm not really worried about what I make on another one. I have multiple pulls done on my tuner's dyno, which is why I want to compare on that one. A buddy of mine just sent me some results where he made 630ish on one dyno and 600 on another.
I got you and they do. I figured you were going to run it on your tuner’s dyno. I have seen the same thing with others as well.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:13 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I looked heavily into a solid roller, and from what I gathered, no way would I touch one for anything but an all out race car.

Get notified of new replies

To Against the grain

Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
I looked heavily into a solid roller, and from what I gathered, no way would I touch one for anything but an all out race car.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-roller-2.html

Some people like the extra work

stuff that mostly belongs on race cars:

solid lifter
extremely high seat pressure spring
long runs of braided hose
extremely high compression
air filter may be neglected in favor of airflow, when necessary, if it meets endurance guidelines*
the best expensive racing fuels allowable
higher redline, "looser" engine, larger piston/wall clearance, bigger ring gaps, bigger main/rod bearing clearance
A/C is eliminated
slightly ridiculous hood latch, door latch, seat restraints
roll cages which require helmets and inspections
uncomfortable seats
push button start lol
noisy fuel pump, noisy engine, noisy transmission, noisy diff, noisy ____________ wherever applicable

-its a game, add your favorite!

stuf that... &c &c

cheapest fuel available
compression compatible with cheapest fuels available
tight bearing clearance, tight piston/wall clearance, tighter/no ring gaps, thinner modern engine oils, reasonable redline expectations
prioritize engine longevity, filtration and PCV suction, instead of the raw airflow/power output for the sake of competition
A/C
Steel fuel Hardline
OEM door/hood latches are recommended whenever possible
Hydraulic "self adjusting" lifters, low valvespring spring seat pressure, gentle ramp profile and minimal lift for maximum valvetrain/guide longevity

whats also funny is:
race car parts that were modified to be more reliable in a daily (most of the items on regular cars are derived from successful designs used on race cars)

* Consider a sand racing endurance application where failure to properly filter the air results with rapid deterioration of engine/turbo parts.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nt=firefox-b-1

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 05-14-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:52 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Sometimes intelligence hinders your ability to account for real world results.

1.21 gigawatts/88 mph man!!!

SEND IT!!!

hope you get this narrowed down so the next guy in line doesnt have to do all the leg work

Last edited by ~STOLEN~; 05-14-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:17 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
1.21 gigawatts/88 mph man!!!

SEND IT!!!

hope you get this narrowed down so the next guy in line doesnt have to do all the leg work
I'm here to help! LOL!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Against the grain