Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My DIY Head Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts
Default My DIY Head Thread!

I am getting around to posting things and I will post as I go!

My setup:

PRC 285’s w/ PAC 1207x’s and Straub Trunnion Upgrade
ARP Bolts for heads/balancer/cam
Stock ported intake
Tick Performance cam
GM Gaskets
ARH 2” Headers w/ Off-Road X-Pipe
Vararam CAI

Currently I have EVAP/Booster lines unhooked, coolant drained, red covers off (one busted), ABS bracket bolts out, and fan bolts out. I have already pulled the fan connector off as well. My buddy is coming over Monday to help and he has a tab tool to pull the tabs out of the fan shroud to remove the fans. I do not want to break anything else. I also have the front tie rods loose since I pulled the brakes. I am not looking forward to the steering rack haha.

My rotors are also trash, I just received some DBA T2’s for all four corners from Ken at KNS Brakes and I will also be bleeding the brakes with Motul RBF 600 when all is said and done.

After HCI everything with be cleaned and Ceramic Coated with IGL Quartz+, IGL Wheel, IGL Window, and IGL Headlight. (I am an IGL Installer, you cannot just order these).
Attached Images        
Old 04-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Jaybird29
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Keep us posted Ben on your progress.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:08 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jaybird29
Keep us posted Ben on your progress.
Will do! I will post on the Carolina FB Page as well but try to keep this one 1st on updates.

Everyone, the poster is of my old car and for my detailing business. I figured I would say something before the “tear it down” comments came.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:49 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Who's porting the intake? Might as well do the TB too. No real HP there...but better throttle response.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:18 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Who's porting the intake? Might as well do the TB too. No real HP there...but better throttle response.
I am going to do some light port work and clean everything up. Nothing major and I have seen some YouTube Video’s on porting TB’s. I may do it as a used one is not expensive if I mess up. Throttle response would be worth it to me, I am just not wanting to spend the money to have someone else port my intake/TB if I go boost down the road. Boost will be the limiting factor of the short block anyway. I figure if I clean up my stock intake it should be good for 5-10 rwhp maybe.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:10 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

You sir are the man... wish I had those kinda skillz....
Old 04-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Looks good so far Ben. Good luck. You swapping lifters? What are your plans for pushrods?
Old 04-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
You sir are the man... wish I had those kinda skillz....
Haha, I wish! I am good with Ford and not so much on GM. This is a huge learning period for me. Heck I had to YouTube how to get the MAF connector off! I had never seen a locking tab like that before.

As for the intake porting, I am going to clean it up and that should not be too difficult. It is more of an “I want to learn” type thing.

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Looks good so far Ben. Good luck. You swapping lifters? What are your plans for pushrods?
Thanks man and yes, new stock LS7 lifters. I am deciding agains a huge cam and going for something smaller for reliability and I did not want to spend a ton on link-bar lifters. As for pushrods I am going to measure and use hardened PR’s from Tick.

Well I received the DBA T2’s from Ken @KNS Brakes! I forgot the Locktite for the Caliper bolts though lol. Another day the calipers will go on! I am keeping the fronts off though, for steering rack clearance.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2018, 12:22 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

You don't need link bar lifters. I do recommend the Morel drop-in lifters. Go with the biggest cam you can tolerate, now. Trust me, I had to swap to a bigger cam after going mild at first. It won't affect the reliability.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:28 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Consider the VR Kaotic cam... Its what I run... Love it!!!
235/243 .621 .624 113+2
Old 04-08-2018, 03:26 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by jayyyw
You don't need link bar lifters. I do recommend the Morel drop-in lifters. Go with the biggest cam you can tolerate, now. Trust me, I had to swap to a bigger cam after going mild at first. It won't affect the reliability.
I am not going to go with link bar lifters, they are pricey and I will check those out. I already purchased new LS7 lifters. I think I will go the biggest I can tolerate now because if I go boost I will be swapping cams anyway.
Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Consider the VR Kaotic cam... Its what I run... Love it!!!
235/243 .621 .624 113+2
I have been looking at those by VR, I am wanting to go custom cam. I am going to contact Pat G and a few others tomorrow. I want to get the most out of the heads I purchased. PRC 285's flow 416-417 CFM at .700 lift and I also have PAC 1207x's, which are .700 lift springs. I would like to run close to that if possible, maybe a cam near .680 lift or something. I want to pull in some air haha.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:54 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

The Morel drop-ins are, roughly, $180. Not much more than the LS7s.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:30 PM
Innovate
Drifting

The Morel drop-ins are, roughly, $180. Not much more than the LS7s.
That is not bad, I also have been looking into roller rockers. Do you or anyone know if Yella Terra's will fit PRC 285's or just run stock rockers depending on the cam? I am getting in touch with some guys tomorrow on cam selection.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:29 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Yella Terra makes a bolt on, adjustable, roller rocker. TSP will be coming out with a set of roller rockers for the LS7 sometime this year. Supposed to be light over the valve and has a similar design to the OEM rockers.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:06 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
That is not bad, I also have been looking into roller rockers. Do you or anyone know if Yella Terra's will fit PRC 285's or just run stock rockers depending on the cam? I am getting in touch with some guys tomorrow on cam selection.
Yes the YTs would bolt on.

You have way too much spring pressure though for them. YTs are not setup for an aggressive spring, high lift, etc. Stock rockers are fine. Wait for the TSP rockers if anything.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:08 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I'd go with the Morel 6504's over the GM LS7 lifters, but I'd also recommend Johnson's 2110 SLR LS drop lifters, but they are more than 2x the Morels.

Yella Terra makes a bolt on, adjustable, roller rocker. TSP will be coming out with a set of roller rockers for the LS7 sometime this year. Supposed to be light over the valve and has a similar design to the OEM rockers.
Looking forward to seeing what TSP comes up with on their roller rockers for the LS7!

On the cam, remember there are multiple variables at play. What good is peak HP at RPM's that you rarely will see? Also, you really don't need big lifts on the LS7 to make big power. Pat G, Cam Motion, or a custom cam from TSP are good avenues to explore.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:22 AM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Looking forward to seeing what TSP comes up with on their roller rockers for the LS7!

Get notified of new replies

To My DIY Head Thread!

Old 04-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Innovate
Drifting

I am interested in those, especially if I do not have to clearance anything and put them on when the heads have already been installed.

Originally Posted by Unreal
Yes the YTs would bolt on.

You have way too much spring pressure though for them. YTs are not setup for an aggressive spring, high lift, etc. Stock rockers are fine. Wait for the TSP rockers if anything.
Ah ok, I should of just asked you lol. I am calling TSP about when theirs will be ready. Hopefully they work with a high lift spring.

Originally Posted by BigVette427
I'd go with the Morel 6504's over the GM LS7 lifters, but I'd also recommend Johnson's 2110 SLR LS drop lifters, but they are more than 2x the Morels.

On the cam, remember there are multiple variables at play. What good is peak HP at RPM's that you rarely will see? Also, you really don't need big lifts on the LS7 to make big power. Pat G, Cam Motion, or a custom cam from TSP are good avenues to explore.
I am going to talk to them about a cam, pretty much to see what they think about if I should go with a little higher lift or just stick with .650 or something.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Innovate
Drifting

I talked to TSP, their roller rockers should be out this year. They are still working on them.

I think I will use what I already planned to use and upgrade later.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Just a note
I always ran last caps with those heads. So make sure you keep your lash caps.
The following users liked this post:
Innovate (04-09-2018)

Quick Reply: [Z06] My DIY Head Thread!