Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Whats up with all these "WCCH Heads Shot" treads all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:46 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Whats up with all these "WCCH Heads Shot" treads all of a sudden

Did they have a bad batch? What's going on with them?
Old 04-11-2018, 12:50 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

I think it is just some are getting some miles on them and starting to check. I'm sure we will see more in the future.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:04 PM
Spartan07
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

To elaborate on what 03BlkZ said, its also a combination of improper rocker arm concentricity (some LS7 heads, not all), too aggressive of a cam profile, improper valve AND valve guide material... I could be wrong though.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:13 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Fixed heads do not fix the geometry issue. The best fix is roller rockers and fixed heads.
The following users liked this post:
~STOLEN~ (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:34 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
Fixed heads do not fix the geometry issue. The best fix is roller rockers and fixed heads.
ya 1500.00 rocker system, 300 to mill head and ONLY if you set lash correctly, will it prolong or fix this issue.

i think it will happen on every set of heads eventually, fixed not fixed, no one is free from the problem.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:47 PM
tascar7
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

"This will fix your heads" does not mean "This will fix your heads". Hence no warranties.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:59 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

There's more to the story than just "WCCH heads". I have every bit of confidence that my AHP/MS90 heads with stock cam, stock rockers with live to see 100K miles or more. Do I think WCCH heads can do that as well given the same parameters...yes. Start changing variables to the equation, and I would expect there will be a different outcome.
The following 3 users liked this post by MTPZ06:
DPW_ (04-11-2018), iw172 (04-11-2018), ~STOLEN~ (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
Did they have a bad batch? What's going on with them?
Well there were only TWO threads.

But now there are THREE

DH
Old 04-11-2018, 04:55 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
There's more to the story than just "WCCH heads". I have every bit of confidence that my AHP/MS90 heads with stock cam, stock rockers with live to see 100K miles or more. Do I think WCCH heads can do that as well given the same parameters...yes. Start changing variables to the equation, and I would expect there will be a different outcome.
This is pretty much what I have been thinking also. Everyone seems to want to start throwing higher lift cams, milling, retuning etc when they do the heads so it is near impossible to get a reading on what’s really going on. Then I have heard lately that there were actually two companies manufacturing these heads and one was good geometry and the other not? Not sure about that one.
Anyway I still have not found any threads pointing to the above stated heads coming back with bad wear issues yet as I have been seeing with the WCCH heads with bronze guides. I really feel this issue would have been completely solved by now if everyone didn’t mod the hell out of the car when re doing the heads.
I still can’t understand however why Katech is not using MS90 guides though if they are as good as they are supposed to be and why they still continue on with the bronze guides.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Because it is more complex than just swapping heads.

Can WCCH be a good long term fix, yes, with ther proper setup.

Roller rockers are not needed, fancy guides are not needed. Unless you have a setup that does need them. People are finding out that you can't just run a huge aggressive cam and think because heads are "fixed" that guides won't wear.

Now if your concern is valve drop, and you did some upgrades valves, then yes, they are probably fixed, and the only concern is really if you may burn some oil as they get extremely out of spec.
The following users liked this post:
FSTFRC (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
This is pretty much what I have been thinking also. Everyone seems to want to start throwing higher lift cams, milling, retuning etc when they do the heads so it is near impossible to get a reading on what’s really going on. Then I have heard lately that there were actually two companies manufacturing these heads and one was good geometry and the other not? Not sure about that one.
Anyway I still have not found any threads pointing to the above stated heads coming back with bad wear issues yet as I have been seeing with the WCCH heads with bronze guides. I really feel this issue would have been completely solved by now if everyone didn’t mod the hell out of the car when re doing the heads.
I still can’t understand however why Katech is not using MS90 guides though if they are as good as they are supposed to be and why they still continue on with the bronze guides.
Because properly setup, like Katech does, bronze guides work fine and have no issues.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:12 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I just tested my AHP with Moldstar 90 guides and YT rockers and they are solid as a rock after 5k miles.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:46 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
That is so not true. Chad blew out a perfectly good set of wcch installed guides in 10k miles with properly setup roller rockers.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:57 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unreal
Because properly setup, like Katech does, bronze guides work fine and have no issues.
One of the aspects of katechs "proper" setup is using moly coated intake valves and they charge like $190 or so per valve. They do not use those in all of their builds though so I would bet all the money I have that at least some their heads have issues. For all the roller rockers fans out there katech also uses stock rockers just like I did on my wcch heads that wore both the intake and exhaust guides.

Fact of the matter is no one knows what the main issues are so I don't see how you can say bronze guides are fine if setup properly. What exactly is this magical bronze guide setup you speak of so more people can try it?

Last edited by rio95; 04-12-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:59 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

And no they definitely did not have a bad batch. Heads over many years have shown wear.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:31 AM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

I put more than 30k mile on my old Z06 after the "fix" and Brian Tooley recommends to change the BTR platinums after 25k miles. So I replaced them after 30k and checked the guides and everything checked out good. I had Frankenstein Heads.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

WCCH used bronze guides in 2009/2010 when they started replacing the guides and fixing LS7 heads. GM did not let them just purchase new replacement OEM guides (which would have been fine). They would have to purchase an entire head just to get the guides they wanted. So they were forced to go to bronze as it was the only after market solution they could find at the time. Richard has gone on record stating that he did not desire to do that, but had no choice. This is not to say bronze guides won't work, but let's not pretend that they intentionally chose bronze over another superior material. It was the only choice they had, so bronze is what you get (and they have stuck with it).

Richard stated 7 years ago this, and I quote:

"The primarly reason we use bronze valve guides is because GM will not sell the guides separately. Rather they will sell you an entire replacement head. The aftermarket parts supply only furnishes bronze alloy valve guides. I personally like the powdered metal valve guides the factory uses but the supplier does not sell piece meal to the public. Additionally we have no long term wear issues with the bronze guides and solid stem stainless steel valves."

Last edited by Mordeth; 04-12-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats up with all these "WCCH Heads Shot" treads all of a sudden

Old 04-12-2018, 08:47 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
WCCH used bronze guides in 2009/2010 when they started replacing the guides and fixing LS7 heads. GM did not let them just purchase new replacement OEM guides (which would have been fine). They would have to purchase an entire head just to get the guides they wanted. So they were forced to go to bronze as it was the only after market solution they could find at the time. Richard has gone on record stating that he did not desire to do that, but had no choice. This is not to say bronze guides won't work, but let's not pretend that they intentionally chose bronze over another superior material. It was the only choice they had, so bronze is what you get (and they have stuck with it).

Richard stated 7 years ago this, and I quote:

"The primarly reason we use bronze valve guides is because GM will not sell the guides separately. Rather they will sell you an entire replacement head. The aftermarket parts supply only furnishes bronze alloy valve guides. I personally like the powdered metal valve guides the factory uses but the supplier does not sell piece meal to the public. Additionally we have no long term wear issues with the bronze guides and solid stem stainless steel valves."
I give AHP a lot of credit for sourcing thier own proprietary guides, and having them cut to the OE spec, too. First, they sourced a PM blend that was a superior HRB to the GM PM guides, and then they explored exotic racing alloys in Moldstar 90. Kohle mentioned to me the tooling costs of Moldstar 90, suffice to say that's why not everybody is offering Moldstar 90; it took brains and cajones to start tinkering with that stuff.

Neat from an engineering perspective, not to mention a cool move from a business perspective as well.

Last edited by BigVette427; 04-12-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rio95

That is so not true. Chad blew out a perfectly good set of wcch installed guides in 10k miles with properly setup roller rockers.
After reading what a good amount of people had said on the other threads I figured RR’s were the way to go? Owell, I guess that is also a myth?
Old 04-12-2018, 08:56 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
I put more than 30k mile on my old Z06 after the "fix" and Brian Tooley recommends to change the BTR platinums after 25k miles. So I replaced them after 30k and checked the guides and everything checked out good. I had Frankenstein Heads.
What cam lobes and lift are you running? Changing out valve springs every 25k miles sounds like the early hot-rodding days of the LS1 back in the early 2000's.

Originally Posted by rio95

But the point was that when they fresh from WCCH, they were concentric and in spec. The combination that was then run for 10k miles tells the story. As Jason from Katech points out, if you're running bronze guides without the Ti/Mo valves, standby for disappointment.

Quick Reply: Whats up with all these "WCCH Heads Shot" treads all of a sudden