Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Whats up with all these "WCCH Heads Shot" treads all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

It's not just heads. It's not just rockers. It's not just guides. It's not just the metal material. It's not just concentricity. It's all those things. And that's what makes this issue so damn frustrating. There are good vendors out there offering solid solutions but every car is different, and used differently, so I honestly think there will never be a 100% bullet proof fix. My advice? Choose the best solution for your driving habits, mods and budget. And then don't just forget about it. Get the heads checked every 15k-20k miles and be diligent. Not sure what else we can do.

Last edited by Must_Have_Z; 04-12-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:20 AM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

So I dont pretend to know the conpatibility, but I believe that some have used LS3 heads on the Ls7. Is the geometry more conducive to wear prevention? What is lost using the LS3 head?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by KEZ06
So I dont pretend to know the conpatibility, but I believe that some have used LS3 heads on the Ls7. Is the geometry more conducive to wear prevention? What is lost using the LS3 head?
From hotrod.com (http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-...top-ls7-heads/):

"Though the LS7 castings share the rectangular ports of the LS3 heads, they up the flow ante with raised ports, altered valve angle and locations, and even larger titanium valves. Not long ago these factory LS7 castings would have been considered full race heads."
Old 04-12-2018, 10:35 AM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
From hotrod.com (http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-...top-ls7-heads/):

"Though the LS7 castings share the rectangular ports of the LS3 heads, they up the flow ante with raised ports, altered valve angle and locations, and even larger titanium valves. Not long ago these factory LS7 castings would have been considered full race heads."
Thanks for the article. I will give it a read.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:38 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I heard someone say even with a fully ported LS3/L92 head, you lose about 20 rwhp right off the bat as opposed to an LS7 head. WCCH claims 354cfm at .600" lift on an L92/LS3 head where as on an LS7 head at that same .600" lift, they can get about 389cfm.

Also, remember that the LS3 rocker arm ratio is still at 1.7 compared to the 1.8 for the LS7 (and all subsequent Gen V motors, as well) so there is a slight reduction to the amount of lift that you're getting out of your camshaft, as well. You would no doubt just be better off going with Moldstar 90 guides on AHP's LS7 heads, and an LS friendly cam with lift under .650". (Like the popular 116 cams from Katech and AHP.)
Old 04-12-2018, 10:52 AM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Is guide play a check I can do myself or is it better to have a shop do the check? I have WCCH heads on an erl short block so of course interested in avoiding the valve drop issue. This car is about to be used for the track. So the last thing I want is a suseptible head issue as I start to stress the drivetrain.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:42 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVette427
What cam lobes and lift are you running? Changing out valve springs every 25k miles sounds like the early hot-rodding days of the LS1 back in the early 2000's.
BTR Stg4 cam. don't know the exact specs anymore, but it was an aggressive cam. I was just doing what Brian Tooley said to do
Old 04-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Changing valve springs ever 25-30k miles is normal and should be done.
The following users liked this post:
v8sten (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 01:43 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

What cam lobes and lift are you running? Changing out valve springs every 25k miles sounds like the early hot-rodding days of the LS1 back in the early 2000's.
CYA for a smart business owner that doesn't want to put statements out in the universe that may haunt him at a later date. His springs should last way more than 25K...but it pays to be cautious with advice.

As others have mentioned...heads flow less (even fully ported), lower rocker ratio, different intake manifold. Plenty of drawbacks IMO.

Originally Posted by Unreal
Agreed. If you're running a more aggressive than OE cam, this just comes with the territory. I think Katech also recommends ~20K maint intervals. Thought process is along the lines of...a high quality, properly spec'd and installed spring should practically never fail in 20K miles...so if you want the best chances at "never" having one fail...swap them out at 20K miles.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:01 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
BTR Stg4 cam. don't know the exact specs anymore, but it was an aggressive cam. I was just doing what Brian Tooley said to do
I think the website text has changed a little over time, but previously some have listed that cam at 246/254, .652"/.630", on a 111 LSA. Today, it's listed at 247/258 on a 112 LSA but doesn't mention the lift. That's a lot of duration and regardless as to the lift, the lobe type would be as significant as the lift. Interesting what he says about the rocker arm side loading.

Due to the longer pivot length and longer scroll of the LS7 rocker arms up to .660" lift can be used without valve tip damage. We recommend maximum open spring pressure of 430 lbs

https://www.briantooleyracing.com/ls7-stage-iv-cam.html

Originally Posted by Unreal
It certainly shouldn't be normal for a production car! (I can't believe how CHEAP the valve springs are on the Gen V LT1/L86, btw!) But the LS7 is essentially a race motor that we all know comes with inherently poorly machined cylinder heads, so we have to go in and make some adjustments to save the heads. I still believe the beauty in the LS7 is in its cylinder heads, so to beef up the guides and improve the valve train with superior valve springs and exhaust valves, that's been part of the enjoyment for me in owning an LS7.

I figure by the time I get 25K miles more on my Vette (currently just under 7k) there will be ample evidence of comparable setups (Moldstar 90 guides and PSI springs) for me to decide whether or not I ought to pull my valve covers. Shoot, if TSP gets their new roller-tipped rocker arms right for the LS7, they might be a new go-to item that'll motivate me to get back in there long before 25k miles anyways.

Last edited by BigVette427; 04-12-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I think the website text has changed a little over time, but previously some have listed that cam at 246/254, .652"/.630", on a 111 LSA. Today, it's listed at 247/258 on a 112 LSA but doesn't mention the lift. That's a lot of duration and regardless as to the lift, the lobe type would be as significant as the lift. Interesting what he says about the rocker arm side loading.

Due to the longer pivot length and longer scroll of the LS7 rocker arms up to .660" lift can be used without valve tip damage. We recommend maximum open spring pressure of 430 lbs

It certainly shouldn't be normal for a production car! (I can't believe how CHEAP the valve springs are on the Gen V LT1/L86, btw!) But the LS7 is essentially a race motor that we all know comes with inherently poorly machined cylinder heads, so we have to go in and make some adjustments to save the heads. I still believe the beauty in the LS7 is in its cylinder heads, so to beef up the guides and improve the valve train with superior valve springs and exhaust valves, that's been part of the enjoyment for me in owning an LS7.

I figure by the time I get 25K miles more on my Vette (currently just under 7k) there will be ample evidence of comparable setups (Moldstar 90 guides and PSI springs) for me to decide whether or not I ought to pull my valve covers. Shoot, if TSP gets their new roller-tipped rocker arms right for the LS7, they might be a new go-to item that'll motivate me to get back in there long before 25k miles anyways.
I am also waiting on TSP’s Roller Rockers, as soon as they come out I am going to purchase them.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by rio95

One of the aspects of katechs "proper" setup is using moly coated intake valves and they charge like $190 or so per valve. They do not use those in all of their builds though so I would bet all the money I have that at least some their heads have issues. For all the roller rockers fans out there katech also uses stock rockers just like I did on my wcch heads that wore both the intake and exhaust guides.

Fact of the matter is no one knows what the main issues are so I don't see how you can say bronze guides are fine if setup properly. What exactly is this magical bronze guide setup you speak of so more people can try it?

This is incorrect. We always use Ti/Mo intake valves in heads with bronze guides. There are no exceptions. We don't use OEM intake valves in heads with bronze guides. We would not risk our reputation doing anything less. So no, none of our heads have issues.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 04-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

To be clear, 25-30k for an aftermarket cam, not factory. If you swap to a big duration aftermarket cam, with big lift, springs at least need to be inspected, if not replaced every 25-30k. If it is all factory stuff, sure 100k+ no issues, but not with aftermarket parts.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:05 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
This is pretty much what I have been thinking also. Everyone seems to want to start throwing higher lift cams, milling, retuning etc when they do the heads so it is near impossible to get a reading on what’s really going on. Then I have heard lately that there were actually two companies manufacturing these heads and one was good geometry and the other not? Not sure about that one.
Anyway I still have not found any threads pointing to the above stated heads coming back with bad wear issues yet as I have been seeing with the WCCH heads with bronze guides. I really feel this issue would have been completely solved by now if everyone didn’t mod the hell out of the car when re doing the heads.
I still can’t understand however why Katech is not using MS90 guides though if they are as good as they are supposed to be and why they still continue on with the bronze guides.
high end bronze/mag is actually pretty hard. katech also recommends $3200 in valves they are very slippery via moly coated titanium. i think this is why they don't get a lot of speak on here. a set of heads done by katech will set you back about 4k, 5k if you port them. spending that much on valves is basically 10% of the cars value in many cases.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:11 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Can WCCH be a good long term fix, yes, with ther proper setup.
Yep...no issues here thus far, and lord only knows what we put these cars through

Note: one can easily say that I would champion hard for WCCH since they are one of our vendor plus due to the fact that we have been working together side-by-side for over 12yrs. But, honestly, we have not had any issues and just because we haven't, it does not mean others have not.

My advise:please talk to the guys at WCCH vs blasting on the forum. The forum can be a great place for info, but sometimes....

Thanks,
Carlos
SSMOKE (04-13-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 07:30 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Yep...no issues here thus far, and lord only knows what we put these cars through

Note: one can easily say that I would champion hard for WCCH since they are one of our vendor plus due to the fact that we have been working together side-by-side for over 12yrs. But, honestly, we have not had any issues and just because we haven't, it does not mean others have not.

My advise:please talk to the guys at WCCH vs blasting on the forum. The forum can be a great place for info, but sometimes....

Thanks,
Carlos
When you say WE I interpret that as you AND your customers haven't had issues? If I'm interpreting that correctly what you are saying is NOT true due to the fact that I had issues after 17k miles with the setup I bought from you. Also, how many heads that you have sold or used have you checked? I know other shops on here who preach their stuff is awesome and yet haven't checked a single head.

Also I did talk to Richard several times before creating my thread about my head issues.

These are not isolated cases! I don't believe it one bit.

Last edited by rio95; 04-12-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:33 PM
corvettenutz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

i always wondered if this is a dry start issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats up with all these "WCCH Heads Shot" treads all of a sudden

Old 04-12-2018, 11:23 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettenutz
i always wondered if this is a dry start issue.
Maybe another part of the puzzle, but I also think the horrible C6Z oil cooler is part of the problem. Rio95 lives in Michigan, and he once posted about how difficult it was to get his motor up to a decent oil temperature. I live in Phoenix and don't even run the stock oil cooler.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:31 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nuke61
Maybe another part of the puzzle, but I also think the horrible C6Z oil cooler is part of the problem. Rio95 lives in Michigan, and he once posted about how difficult it was to get his motor up to a decent oil temperature. I live in Phoenix and don't even run the stock oil cooler.
Which I do think is part of it. Just like how we have seen locally guides shot in 10k miles from the people with huge cams, that just do them for sound, and to rev it to 7k at the car shows on a cold car, and yet others with same heads, milder cams that are less wear prone, that know how to maintain and use the car have 50k+ trouble free miles with no signs of any wear when tested. Just goes back to anyone can kill a guide if they want too.
FSTFRC (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 05:57 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rio95

When you say WE I interpret that as you AND your customers haven't had issues? If I'm interpreting that correctly what you are saying is NOT true due to the fact that I had issues after 17k miles with the setup I bought from you. Also, how many heads that you have sold or used have you checked? I know other shops on here who preach their stuff is awesome and yet haven't checked a single head.

Also I did talk to Richard several times before creating my thread about my head issues.

These are not isolated cases! I don't believe it one bit.
We do check.

And as of matter of fact, I was just on the Bat-Line with WCCH this afternoon to discuss this very thing.

As I recall, you like most of our customers are out romping the **** out of your set up - as you should, that is what it is for...but please, if not already, take the extra steps: change oil more frequent, allow oil to warm up before going Ricky Bobby and use a good quality oil. I like Mobil 1 0w/40.

17K miles with a semi-race set up is really good. And I know you're not driving like miss daisy either.

BTW, if you do have an issue, WCCH will stand behind it 100%!!!!

Thanks,
Carlos

Quick Reply: Whats up with all these "WCCH Heads Shot" treads all of a sudden