Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 bit the dust on the track the other day

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by anth115
Not to detract from the main thread here but do you mind briefly sharing what year your car was? As a fellow Mosport visitor, I'm wondering if it had the smaller dry sump or larger one.

And to the OP, thanks for sharing - that video/sound is tough to swallow but maybe it will help save someone else's engine by encouraging them to check/fix theirs. Best of luck with the rebuild, and put me down for a +1 on pull off track/off line as soon as safely possible - coolant and oil on the track can lead to an even bigger disaster in no time at all.
Looks like it's a 2009.

Sorry to hear about this OP.
The following users liked this post:
anth115 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 04:15 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by freaknbigpanda
I was accelerating in third gear approaching redline when I heard a sound that sounded like driving over gravel coming from the front of the car followed by lots of smoke from coolant.

The thing that is bothering me is this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tle-noise.html

I had been hearing that noise for several months. I checked the cats, I checked all around the wheel well where I heard the noise coming from, I checked the mufflers and the xpipe. Everything was totally fine, so now I am thinking that thise noise was actually an early warning from my valves/engine that was about to go.

Has anybody experienced a noise like that prior to their engine grenading?

Here is a video of the actual incident, is this the common valve problem with LS7s or is this something else?

https://www.facebook.com/FreaknBigPa...9870110263243/
Sorry, for your loss.
Been there and done that going over 120mph. Luckily no one next to me and flat off track area.

Oh...........and no noise or warnings my engine was about to blow !

DH
Old 04-13-2018, 03:02 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by anth115
Not to detract from the main thread here but do you mind briefly sharing what year your car was? As a fellow Mosport visitor, I'm wondering if it had the smaller dry sump or larger one.
Car was a 2006 w/~40,000kms (~25k miles). All original - heads were never touched. Based on advice at the time (2011) I had the Aviaid oil pan cage & baffle installed, as well as their oil reservoir insert (original '06 reservoir). The car WAS (at the time) full of oil to start my day, but drank over 2qts after only 2 sessions (failure happened before lunch time ... maybe during my 3rd 1/2hr session?). FWIW, I was running on Hoosier R6's, so NOT street tires, and that was turning lap times around the 1:32 mark (vs. 1:34's on the factory Goodyears). Sadly, the lap times were getting better and better (dipped into a 1:31.xxx) then "poof"!

I had no idea about the issue with the heads at that time, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where ~2qts of oil would have gone in short order.

The long left-handers of T2 and T4 are killers. Mine wasn't the first, and likely not the last to suffer that fate.

I'm getting the heads done in my (new-to-me) '11 Z06, and will hope for better luck when I get back out to the track. Hopefully the larger oil reservoir helps. I'm considering the Aviaid parts again, although won't be running on Hoosiers anytime soon.
anth115 (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 07:24 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

The AVIAID pan baffle and tank insert help with scavenging and deaeration/stabilization of the oil within the system. But the biggest improvement is with adding capacity. A Z06 that is tracked hard (especially on Hoosiers) NEEDS the added capacity. I've done all 3 to my 2007 and have no issues with oil pressure or starvation on the track.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:13 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

They do say their windage tray helps pull oil down from the crankcase preventing it from running out.

Issue here was the stock heads
Old 04-13-2018, 08:26 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Old 04-13-2018, 09:12 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Sorry to see you joined the "1%" club.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by freaknbigpanda
I was accelerating in third gear approaching redline when I heard a sound that sounded like driving over gravel coming from the front of the car followed by lots of smoke from coolant.

The thing that is bothering me is this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tle-noise.html

I had been hearing that noise for several months. I checked the cats, I checked all around the wheel well where I heard the noise coming from, I checked the mufflers and the xpipe. Everything was totally fine, so now I am thinking that thise noise was actually an early warning from my valves/engine that was about to go.

Has anybody experienced a noise like that prior to their engine grenading?

Here is a video of the actual incident, is this the common valve problem with LS7s or is this something else?

https://www.facebook.com/FreaknBigPa...9870110263243/
When the valve dropped in mine I was just shifting from third to fourth at 6800 rpm. The engine stopped turning and was completely silent as I coasted to a stop. Before that there wasn't any unusual noise. Here is a link to my YouTube video when it happened:

Here is what the head and cylinder looked like after it was taken apart by the dealer.

The head of the exhaust valve was found in the intake manifold and cylinder number 1 had a cracked cylinder wall in a couple of places. Coolant went through the complete engine by flowing through the intake manifold. This happened with just under 24K miles on the car
and 3.5 years after the In Service Date. GM covered the replacement under the 5 year/100K Powertrain warranty.

I personally knew of 8 other on track engine failures. One actually was repaired by replacing the head as the block and piston weren't damaged. The others either acted like mine or worse grenaded with parts sticking out of the block with oil all over the track. One incident occurred right at the turn in point for a fairly high
speed turn and oiled the track so badly 6 other cars following the Vette were caught in the oil and spun off the turn. One BMW hit the tire wall and was totaled.

What is interesting is after I got the car home from the track about 4 hours later and had it in the garage I hit the starter and it started and ran on 7 cylinders. However, there was a lot of banging as the piston hit the intake valve buried into the intake port sideways.

Bill
Old 04-13-2018, 09:58 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Yet another that hurt to watch Bill.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:12 AM
jpccarguy
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill- I met you at VIR with BMW, and Thx for the ride. My sliver ‘07 Z has almost 40K miles, internals are untouched. I bought it from Tom B, who had several NCCC TT records in it and a C6 ZR1, so the guy tracked it a lot. What should I do with a car I’ve owned barely a year, if no history of problems, but driven hard? Can I figure I’m out of the woods, or can a valve train issue still be lurking? I’ve searched the forum, but there are so many different opinions, it’s hard to know what to do.

John
Old 04-21-2018, 11:43 AM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

John,
You are not out of the woods! Get the heads done asap. Mine was an 09 and went at 37XXX miles. I seriously regret not doing it - I thought that since my car was completely stock I wouldn't have any problems but nope.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:10 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by jpccarguy
Bill- I met you at VIR with BMW, and Thx for the ride. My sliver ‘07 Z has almost 40K miles, internals are untouched. I bought it from Tom B, who had several NCCC TT records in it and a C6 ZR1, so the guy tracked it a lot. What should I do with a car I’ve owned barely a year, if no history of problems, but driven hard? Can I figure I’m out of the woods, or can a valve train issue still be lurking? I’ve searched the forum, but there are so many different opinions, it’s hard to know what to do.

John
it is not hard to know what to do, at all. Easiest decison you'll ever make. You own an LS7, with stock heads with mileage on them. Extremely likely you have one or more guides out of spec. Out of spec exhaust guides lead to engine failures. Period.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 04-21-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Les (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 01:20 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

John
I just did a head swap on my 2008 Z06 with 15k miles on the engine. All of my valve guides were loose and I'm sure some were out of spec. We just wiggled them with no measurement device. Some were sloppier than others. I recommend even though some will tell you otherwise to pull the valve covers and rockers and give the valves a good wiggle and see what they do. You will probably be surprised.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:59 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

John
You’re lucky it made this far. Pull the valve covers off and see if the valves move with the springs. Most will say that’s not the proper procedure to check but there shouldn’t be NO movement whatsoever. If the stem of the valve is moving it’s gone. With or without the spring period. I didn’t believe all
of this until I checked my cylinder heads.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:53 PM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I have been a member of this forum for a long time and honestly, these threads have been popping up a whole lot more lately. Some of you members are in massive denial of the issue and some are not. Hopefully this thread instills the fear in some of you to believe the reality of this issue.
Matt Zed (10-03-2021)
Old 04-22-2018, 03:44 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Awww man that really sucks OP. I'm sorry to hear. Only thing I'd add to this thread is that it can be difficult to pinpoint where exactly noises are coming from. It might sound like the rear but could be the front and vice versa. Anyhow I hope things get sorted out for you with minimal stress.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:20 AM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
it is not hard to know what to do, at all. Easiest decison you'll ever make. You own an LS7, with stock heads with mileage on them. Extremely likely you have one or more guides out of spec. Out of spec exhaust guides lead to engine failures. Period.
My 07 with 10k miles had 3 intakes and 1 exhaust guide past the service limit. I'm sure it would have been much worse in another 30k miles. Just got tired of worrying about it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 bit the dust on the track the other day