Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] H beam vs I beam

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 AM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

MikeOC and Mordeth just gave you some really great advice.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:45 AM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Regardless of how you are getting cylinder pressure up I would not want to see more then 725whp on stock LS7 sleeves. They are great N/A engines but much better choices for bigger power. Even if it will hold on with a good tune a 650+whp LS7 block is not going to run 50K+ being driven hard.

Last edited by lt1z; 05-01-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:56 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1z
Regardless of how you are getting cylinder pressure up I would not want to see more then 725whp on stock LS7 sleeves. They are great N/A engines but much better choices for bigger power. Even if it will hold on with a good tune a 650+whp LS7 block is not going to run 50K+ being driven hard.

im just gonna stay NA guys, 725whp for some time would be fine but **** this ls7 tbh. Guess when this NA motor goes I’ll do a boosted project. What about nitrous Matt? Forged pistons and all what do you recommend.?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:01 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by Mordeth
What you need to do is not think about what the car might be a year+ from now, but rather what it is going to be 30 days from now, or whenever it is finished. You don't build a car for what it might be, you build a car for what it will be the next time you drive it. This is especially true for someone who tends to change his mind every 5 minutes and is reinforced by a limited budget.

So focus on what it will be the NEXT TIME YOU DRIVE IT. That is what you build it for. Focus and be good at what is in front of you, not what is currently (and maybe forever) out of your reach. Save the fantasies for hot chicks and your future racing career. Never mind "NOS" or a "blower" down the road type thinking right now. Irrelevant. In your particular case, it does NOT pay to think ahead any further than getting your car back on the road, making it as reliable as can be and then practice improving your driving skills (everyone needs work here, including me). The maximum enjoyment is derived IN THE CAR, whatever it ends up being and irrespective of what it might become some day. Yes it is fun to plan and to scheme on a build (I enjoy it too), but in the end I build it for ONE PURPOSE (not some potential future purpose that continually is changing/evolving).

So stop talking about "NOS" and "blowers" and start talking about how you will get your car back on the road and then be proud of this accomplishment. Even with 500whp it is twice what you are capable of using properly anyhow - on the street or on the track. I have 565whp, intentionally detuned, and there isn't a street car on the track that can take me out. Period. Only a purpose built race car has a shot at me. And if someone wants to prove me wrong then they are welcome to come to Watkins Glen in their MONSTER dyno queen on any given weekend and take a shot. Bring cash. This includes cars with twice my horsepower. In fact, the more horsepower the merrier (they will simply blow up sooner and are slower anyhow). There comes a point where you simply cannot properly put this power to the ground and end up lacking the proper supporting modifications to make it even remotely reliable. Additionally, most lack the skill and experience to use it anyhow (and so do I and I have a competition racing license).

At the track there is inevitably a young kid there with an over-built car that can't get out of his own way. It is great fun watching 120hp Miatas passing him as he attempts to drive "FLAT OUT" in his 7-800whp MONSTER. The usual sequence is as follows: he brags on the internet with a dyno sheet, proceeds to get his *** handed to him by the Miatas on the track (great fun to watch) and then his car blows up or he crashes it (sad to watch). The end.

If I were you I would build myself a reliable ~550whp to ~575whp N/A Z06 and enjoy. It's already twice the car most people can handle. If you truly want to "man-up" then start by acknowledging this. Take all of that energy you have and sharpen it then point it directly at this goal.
thanks moderth will do, going to just stay NA. But I do need 600whp that feeling of that first gear pull on the street going to work or the gym or school anywhere. Is intoxicating and just way to much fun for me to ever stop. As of rn my mods would be ported heads and a cam everything else stock I guess till I have more funds for mods probably in 3 months lol. I miss the power allot.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:02 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by NemeZ
MikeOC and Mordeth just gave you some really great advice.

yes they did, great people also.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:03 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by NemeZ
The sleeves will not survive boost for very long. My buddy bought a supercharged Z06 a few years ago, and that thing made around 680whp. He ran it for about a week or two and cracked almost every sleeve on the damn thing. The engine had forged slugs but that didn’t help as the sleeve are the first thing to go. Keep that in mind man. Resleeve the block if your even thinking about going boost. You’ll be happy you did in the end.
yeah screw it to much bullshit and I’m going way over my head. Anyhow when i get my setup
back wanna do some racing?
Old 05-01-2018, 02:29 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
What you need to do is not think about what the car might be a year+ from now, but rather what it is going to be 30 days from now, or whenever it is finished. You don't build a car for what it might be, you build a car for what it will be the next time you drive it. This is especially true for someone who tends to change his mind every 5 minutes and is reinforced by a limited budget.

So focus on what it will be the NEXT TIME YOU DRIVE IT. That is what you build it for. Focus and be good at what is in front of you, not what is currently (and maybe forever) out of your reach. Save the fantasies for hot chicks and your future racing career. Never mind "NOS" or a "blower" down the road type thinking right now. Irrelevant. In your particular case, it does NOT pay to think ahead any further than getting your car back on the road, making it as reliable as can be and then practice improving your driving skills (everyone needs work here, including me). The maximum enjoyment is derived IN THE CAR, whatever it ends up being and irrespective of what it might become some day. Yes it is fun to plan and to scheme on a build (I enjoy it too), but in the end I build it for ONE PURPOSE (not some potential future purpose that continually is changing/evolving).

So stop talking about "NOS" and "blowers" and start talking about how you will get your car back on the road and then be proud of this accomplishment. Even with 500whp it is twice what you are capable of using properly anyhow - on the street or on the track. I have 565whp, intentionally detuned, and there isn't a street car on the track that can take me out. Period. Only a purpose built race car has a shot at me. And if someone wants to prove me wrong then they are welcome to come to Watkins Glen in their MONSTER dyno queen on any given weekend and take a shot. Bring cash. This includes cars with twice my horsepower. In fact, the more horsepower the merrier (they will simply blow up sooner and are slower anyhow). There comes a point where you simply cannot properly put this power to the ground and end up lacking the proper supporting modifications to make it even remotely reliable. Additionally, most lack the skill and experience to use it anyhow (and so do I and I have a competition racing license).

At the track there is inevitably a young kid there with an over-built car that can't get out of his own way. It is great fun watching 120hp Miatas passing him as he attempts to drive "FLAT OUT" in his 7-800whp MONSTER. The usual sequence is as follows: he brags on the internet with a dyno sheet, proceeds to get his *** handed to him by the Miatas on the track (great fun to watch) and then his car blows up or he crashes it (sad to watch). The end.

If I were you I would build myself a reliable ~550whp to ~575whp N/A Z06 and enjoy. It's already twice the car most people can handle. If you truly want to "man-up" then start by acknowledging this. Take all of that energy you have and sharpen it then point it directly at this goal.

This is good advice for everyone.

Quick Reply: [Z06] H beam vs I beam