Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Who cncs the OEM ls7 head

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:57 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Who cncs the OEM ls7 head

Does anyone know who cnc these heads from the factory? Was it ported from Katech? And what’s the real solution to fixing the valve problem? It isn’t the angle or geometry of it. I heard it’s the material

Last edited by 427V8BB; 04-19-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:34 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 427V8BB
Does anyone know who cnc these heads from the factory? Was it ported from Katech? And what’s the real solution to fixing the valve problem? It isn’t the angle or geometry of it. I heard it’s the material
I don't want to appear to not answer your question but you might as well ask if there is a God. There are numerous threads that discuss this subject to death, if you do a search you will find plenty of reading.

The generally accepted explanation is that Linamar, Ontario, Canada was the supplier charged with providing the heads. They apparently did not drill/bore the valve guide bores concentrically; this created a geometry problem that causes premature valve guide were, some as early as 3,000 miles (see my related thread). This was admitted by Chevrolet, who claimed the problem was rectified in 2011, however there are failures occurring in all years.

Again, read the threads, there are also comments about oil starvation due to excessive heat due to the construction of the exhaust valves, rocker geometry, cam lift, etc. There are those on the Forum that have purchased brand new replacement heads from Chevy, had them checked and they were bad, from a concentricity perspective.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Too-Fast; 04-20-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: editing
Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
I don't want to appear to not answer your question but you might as well ask if there is a God. There are numerous threads that discuss this subject death, if you do a search you will find plenty of reading.

The generally accepted explanation is that Linamar, Ontario, Canada was the supplier charged with providing the heads. They apparently did not drill/bore the valve guide bores concentrically; this created a geometry problem that causes premature valve guide were, some as early as 3,000 miles (see my related thread). This was admitted by Chevrolet, who claimed the problem was rectified in 2011, however there are failures occurring in all years.

Again, read the threads, there are also comments about oil starvation due to excessive heat due to the construction of the exhaust valves, rocker geometry, cam lift, etc. There are those on the Forum that have purchased brand new replacement heads from Chevy, had them checked and they were bad, from a concentricity perspective.

Hope this helps.

i was told from a VIP that that’s not the case it’s the material they used in the guides and valve that the geometry had nothing to do with it is this true?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:03 PM
newchevyman
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 67 Posts

i was told from a VIP that that’s not the case it’s the material they used in the guides and valve that the geometry had nothing to do with it is this true?
Wow a VIP? Sometimes I think I'm important but then I hear about VIPs and remember I'm just a lowly peasant.
The following users liked this post:
SivaSuryaKshatriya (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:14 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by newchevyman
Wow a VIP? Sometimes I think I'm important but then I hear about VIPs and remember I'm just a lowly peasant.
your not a peasant and I just mean to the developer of gm that has a degree in metallurgy which is a science and worked for gm for 50 years. I’m being told Katech did the cnc programs for LS7 Head and maybe more

Last edited by 427V8BB; 04-19-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:36 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would not know and this is way deeper than I can go on the subject.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:54 AM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

My research says there is no 1 single thing that causes the failure, there are multiple problems, the LS7 is a very high performance engine and if ALL is not well the valves will fail just a question of WHEN and there is no certainty to that. Some go lots of miles no failures others in a short time frame. You need to look carefully at yours and decide if its okay or if it is time to do the heads. On mine personally it has about 24,000mi and I have done what I call maintenance updates, upgraded trunion bearings and much better pushrods, to it to extend the life of it. If I keep it I will be doing heads eventually if not I may sell mine at the end of this year in the mean time I have run a dial indicator on the valves and have less than .0035 movement at the retainer and am satisfied it will survive for the time being.

Last edited by G8Pumpkin; 04-20-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:57 AM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by G8Pumpkin
My research says there is no 1 single thing that causes the failure, there are multiple problems.
do people know who did the cnc program for the ls7 Head? I can’t find any information pretty sure Katech were paid too
Old 04-20-2018, 11:15 AM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

do people know who did the cnc program for the ls7 Head? I can’t find any information pretty sure Katech were paid too
The only thing I have read after tons of research and cannot remember where it was but it said 2 different setups used over time at Linamar which I think but am not certain was in reference to the non concentric machining problem that occurred. That is all I have ever seen remotely connected to the actual CNC program.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:43 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

We did not do any production machining for LS7 cylinder heads.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 04-20-2018, 04:57 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
We did not do any production machining for LS7 cylinder heads.

forsure, may I ask what you think the reasoning to drop valves are?
Old 04-20-2018, 05:08 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Dood.. C'mon man.. This has been explained ad-nauseum.. I hope Jason has better things to do..
Old 04-20-2018, 05:14 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Dood.. C'mon man.. This has been explained ad-nauseum.. I hope Jason has better things to do..
your right take care Jason
Old 04-23-2018, 01:40 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
You're right, it's been discussed over and over here on the forum, but I'll assume 427V8BB is new to the vehicle and I'll give you my thoughts. What I don't want this to turn into is yet another debate, so I'll post our findings and be on my way. If you want any more information feel free to email me at jason@katechengines.com

We have not directly attributed dropping valves to worn guides here, but we have seem some pretty severe hourglass shaped wear and I can assume that given enough time to wobble around in the head it could ultimately lead to valve failure. I've attached the article I wrote regarding valve guides to get you up to speed.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TheSHOPMag_7-17.pdf (1.82 MB, 130 views)
The following users liked this post:
Hirohawa (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:21 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Maybe the VIP is the same one that said they started doing 100% inspection of the Linimar provided heads in early 2011, yet brand new heads from the factory provided in 2013 have had the guides not concentric with the valve seats by more than the GM specification. One GM machinist/engineer said that could not be the case because GM uses the guide to do the valve seat. That may be what GM does internally, but Linimar is "modern" and uses CNC machines to do the seats, not using the guides as the tool "guide" to center the milled guide seat.

Linimar also provided all the C7Z06 e-difs "ready to install" to Chevy. They just short filled the difs on the oil, which is not on any dealer list to do a PDI check of dif oil level. Quite a few of those e-difs failed in less than 5K miles.

Get notified of new replies

To Who cncs the OEM ls7 head

Quick Reply: [Z06] Who cncs the OEM ls7 head