Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Official Cam spec thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 08:40 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
And?
You and the OP dont understand the usefullness or uselessness of the info you're taliking about, most importantly the IVO, IVC, EVO & EVC and the whys
oops sorry that bothered you...
Old 04-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Folks, this information is sought by me because I run them through an engine modeling software that can run ANY cam, heads, intake, header, blower, etc. specs and hypothesize HP, TQ, power/tq under the curves etc. I'm trying to gain cam specs to see which ones work (make ideal power/tq) and which ones don't. Yes there are cams out there...but I'm trying to create a repository of GOOD cams that MAKE POWER for the good of the community. This wont be an overnight thread. This will be a long, drawn out, couple of months type of thread.

When I'm towards the end of the thread, I'd like the community to know what cams work BEST for stock LS7s, mildly modified, or your specific combo. The sky really is the limit. Those members who've already picked a combo may not benefit much, if they're not willing to change combos. But Let others see the results of your decisions. That's ALL I'm shooting for.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:04 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
Folks, this information is sought by me because I run them through an engine modeling software that can run ANY cam, heads, intake, header, blower, etc. specs and hypothesize HP, TQ, power/tq under the curves etc. I'm trying to gain cam specs to see which ones work (make ideal power/tq) and which ones don't. Yes there are cams out there...but I'm trying to create a repository of GOOD cams that MAKE POWER for the good of the community. This wont be an overnight thread. This will be a long, drawn out, couple of months type of thread.

When I'm towards the end of the thread, I'd like the community to know what cams work BEST for stock LS7s, mildly modified, or your specific combo. The sky really is the limit. Those members who've already picked a combo may not benefit much, if they're not willing to change combos. But Let others see the results of your decisions. That's ALL I'm shooting for.
Then you're still missing the point that the less "capable" people are telling you.
A cam thats a dog in one car may not be a dog in another due to the differences in the setup; a .650 VL cam in a motor with heads that stall at .630 will perform poorly, the same cam in a car where the heads stall at .700 will perform entirely different. My cam may run like crap on stock LS7 heads yet in my car, it carries 500+tq out well past 6000rpm
Old 04-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Millenium Z06

Originally Posted by 427V8BB
oops sorry that bothered you...
Your attitude thinking you are smarter than everyone is the problem, same as it was before you were banned
Old 04-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

This idea would be helpful if you could populate a few more cells on the spreadsheet....

I'd like to see lobe lift numbers: .004/.020/.050/.100/.200/.300 - to peak lobe lift and back down the other side. Gives a much better picture of the lobe profile. Also keep in mind that most modern lobe profiles are NOT symmetrical, and lobe centerline is rarely halfway between open/close points.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael_D:
Millenium Z06 (04-23-2018), Pb82 Ronin (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Then you're still missing the point that the less "capable" people are telling you.
A cam thats a dog in one car may not be a dog in another due to the differences in the setup; a .650 VL cam in a motor with heads that stall at .630 will perform poorly, the same cam in a car where the heads stall at .700 will perform entirely different. My cam may run like crap on stock LS7 heads yet in my car, it carries 500+tq out well past 6000rpm
I understand that man. The point is engine modeling software. Having good cam data will provide an "estimated power band and numbers for any COMBINATION." It has a great track record of being within 5% of actual measured numbers. And the ability to change things like altitude, temps, etc. give it a nice function for different geographic locations. Having cam numbers are the most important for ME, because I have almost all of the other information needed. FWIW, when I plug in the stock LS7 combination, the numbers are dead on. I'm not missing any point...just because you may not see the value in what I'm attempting doesn't mean others wont.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:54 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Michael_D
This idea would be helpful if you could populate a few more cells on the spreadsheet....

I'd like to see lobe lift numbers: .004/.020/.050/.100/.200/.300 - to peak lobe lift and back down the other side. Gives a much better picture of the lobe profile. Also keep in mind that most modern lobe profiles are NOT symmetrical, and lobe centerline is rarely halfway between open/close points.
The software uses a sliding scale of "lobe acceleration" from 1-9. So yes, those numbers would be helpful to determine the lobe acceleration specs, but they aren't able to be directly input as listed. But after a few cams rates as you described came out, I could begin to see which lobes/cams were more aggressive vs. less aggressive. So I agree, those numbers would be helpful...but it's hard enough getting people to list more than just lift/duration numbers.

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 04-23-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM
427V8BB
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Your attitude thinking you are smarter than everyone is the problem, same as it was before you were banned
i got my self banned from before and there’s no attitude here. Carry on guy
Old 04-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

The software uses a sliding scale of "lobe acceleration" from 1-9. So yes, those numbers would be helpful to determine the lobe acceleration specs, but they aren't able to be directly input as listed. But after a few cams rates as you described came out, I could begin to see which lobes/cams were more aggressive vs. less aggressive. So I agree, those numbers would be helpful...but it's hard enough getting people to list more than just lift/duration numbers.
What software are you playing with? I've messed around with a few over the years. They can be a fun tool, but I don't put that much faith into them. Pipemax seems to be pretty helpful though....

And yah, I know all about lack of data from cam grinders. They hold it pretty tight to the chest and even if you buy a cam from them, the card doesn't have all the pertinent information. With my degree wheel and a dial indicator, I record everything. That won't help you though, as I can't remember the last time I bought an off-the-shelf camshaft.

Last edited by Michael_D; 04-23-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Who was the famous engine builder that said something like "find what works, then then build the theory around it" or something like that?

Just like how you said the CID heads are not that good, based off some minimal data, yet they cranked out 1100+hp N/A. Spend some time talking to the comp guys, or cam people like Billy@Comp and it is a whole new world that is way beyond most people here. Much easier to tell them what you want, and let them come back with the proper setup, than trying to model stuff.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:58 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

What software are you playing with? I've messed around with a few over the years. They can be a fun tool, but I don't put that much faith into them. Pipemax seems to be pretty helpful though....

And yah, I know all about lack of data from cam grinders. They hold it pretty tight to the chest and even if you buy a cam from them, the card doesn't have all the pertinent information. With my degree wheel and a dial indicator, I record everything. That won't help you though, as I can't remember the last time I bought an off-the-shelf camshaft.
DynoSim V5, I also have their drag and road race sim software as well. The hard specs of the cam are what I'm after because the software plays with cam timing and stuff for ya.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Unreal
Who was the famous engine builder that said something like "find what works, then then build the theory around it" or something like that?

Just like how you said the CID heads are not that good, based off some minimal data, yet they cranked out 1100+hp N/A. Spend some time talking to the comp guys, or cam people like Billy@Comp and it is a whole new world that is way beyond most people here. Much easier to tell them what you want, and let them come back with the proper setup, than trying to model stuff.
I agree that modeling isn't the MOST ideal situation versus real world testing. But for the average joe that doesn't have sponsorship dollars or thousands of dyno hours with every combo possible, modeling is the affordable alternative to at least get folks close to their goals.

Food for thought...the software I'm using is the same as what COMP uses.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:20 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Hu??? You directing this to me? I don't remember a discussion about CID heads, never even heard of them.

I don't remember seeing that quote, but it sounds like something Smokey would have said.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

DynoSim V5, I also have their drag and road race sim software as well. The hard specs of the cam are what I'm after because the software plays with cam timing and stuff for ya.
I looked at that software. It looks eleborate. I've used Engine Analyzer Pro a bit, but not the DynoSim. They look comparable.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:30 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Hu??? You directing this to me? I don't remember a discussion about CID heads, never even heard of them.

I don't remember seeing that quote, but it sounds like something Smokey would have said.
No, he was directing that at a PM discussion between him and I.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:52 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yah was talking to op.

I guess my point is let comp or some one that does this daily do the hard stuff. The comp people have been amazing.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:13 PM
Red06Vette
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll play along,

BTR Stage 2
Hyd. Lifters
Duration @ .006 286 intake 299 exhaust
Timing @.050 Int open 4*BTDC close 46*ABDC
Exh open 62*BBDC close 4*ATDC
ILC 111*
Duration @ .050 231 Int 246 Exh
Lobe Separation 115*

If interested other mods are Ported LS7 heads, 12:1 comp, ported stock intake. Made 565RWHP, 522RWTQ

Get notified of new replies

To Official Cam spec thread

Old 04-23-2018, 06:43 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Pat G custom cam.

TSP cut this cam and lift is .635 on intake and exhaust. Lobes are TSP353 according to my build sheet.

Cam Valve Events
.050"

Intake Duration
Intake Valve opens
BTDC (- indicates ATDC)
Exhaust Duration
Intake Valve closes
ABDC
Lobe Seperation Angle
Exhaust Valve Opens
BBDC
Intake Centerline
Exhaust Valve Closes
ATDC (- indicates BTDC)

Exhaust Centerline

Overlap
degrees

Last edited by lamboworld; 04-23-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:55 PM
Millenium Z06

Exactly why my responses have been what they were. People making comments about something they have little expertise or knowledge in much less any real world applications of said knowledge.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Millenium Z06

Originally Posted by lamboworld
Pat G custom cam.

TSP cut this cam and lift is .635 on intake and exhaust.

Cam Valve Events
.050"

Intake Duration
Intake Valve opens
BTDC (- indicates ATDC)
Exhaust Duration
Intake Valve closes
ABDC
Lobe Seperation Angle
Exhaust Valve Opens
BBDC
Intake Centerline