Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

160 Thermostat / Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Which goes back to if you just add a 160, you slow the warm up, which causes more cold wear, but can be fixed by throwing more money at it, or just not spending the $40 on a t-stat in the first place. With a 160 or 180 my car runs at 195-198. Either way t-stat is fully open. Just one makes it take a lot longer to get to operating temp.
I am not suggesting everybody run out and spend $$ changing their parts. the question was "Does lowering T-stat temp reduce engine longevity" and the answer is: As long as you don't go too low with coolant temp, Not if you don't let it.

Too low of coolant temp (say below 150-160*F) is a completely different discussion. We are only talking 165*F to 220*F coolant situations. Yes you can go from 225*F to a 165*F Thermostat (which typically allows us to maintain a 175-180*F coolant temperature easily) with zero decrease in engine reliability and zero increase to engine wear: if it is done properly. I never said it was cheap, more reliable, better in anyway, or necessary. Only that it is possible to do successfully, and you can't directly blame cold coolant/cold t-stat installations for the oversight of the owners.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 04-22-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:21 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
I am not suggesting everybody run out and spend $$ changing their parts. the question was "Does lowering T-stat temp reduce engine longevity" and the answer is: As long as you don't go too low with coolant temp, Not if you don't let it.

Too low of coolant temp (say below 150-160*F) is a completely different discussion. We are only talking 165*F to 220*F coolant situations. Yes you can go from 225*F to a 165*F Thermostat (which typically allows us to maintain a 175-180*F coolant temperature easily) with zero decrease in engine reliability and zero increase to engine wear: if it is done properly. I never said it was cheap, more reliable, better in anyway, or necessary. Only that it is possible to do successfully, and you can't directly blame cold coolant/cold t-stat installations for the oversight of the owners.

so you are suggesting that all else being equal on the car a 160 thermostat will have a lower operating temperature than a 195?.... in other words changing your thermostat will keep your coolant cooler at operating temp?
Old 04-22-2018, 04:42 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by nuke61
From personal experience, using a 160 thermostat won't prevent your oil from reaching 200°F, not even close. I have a DeWitts radiator cooling my ~580 rwhp C6Z, with a 160°F and my motor runs about in the low 200°F range on 75 degree days. Plenty hot enough to get it flowing well, and to burn off any moisture, without being too hot and risk breakdown.

The reason I put this thermostat on my car is that my motor simply could not get the normal amount of timing for the Alpha cam/WCCH heads build at CPR, and even using an octane booster I was getting a small amount of ping on full throttle acceleration. What dropping from the normal stock thermostat to the 160 thermostat has done is to eliminate the small amounts of ping, using the same mixture of 1 bottle of Royal Purple Max Boost octane booster per tank of 91 octane gasoline.
Slightly off topic, but 1 16oz bottle per tank that raises the octane of 25 gallons by 3 is overkill, when your empty tank capacity is only 18 gallons. If you add a bottle and 12.5 gallons of 91 (probably more likely) you're bumping the octane to 97. Since higher octane gas burns (not explodes as noted elsewhere) slower, you've effectively done the same thing as retarding the timing at a much greater cost.

A smarter choice would be to identify the rpm where KR occurs and reduce the timing slightly at that point and forget an additive. That should be a no brainer with any tune.

Alternatively, calculate the exact amount of the booster needed to increase the octane to 93 in 10 gallons of 91 and measure that amount into a container you can pour in with 10 gallons. That way, your octane ratio in the tank remains at the same level and if you go out of State where 93 or 94 is available (no booster req'd) you won't upset the ratio.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:53 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
so you are suggesting that all else being equal on the car a 160 thermostat will have a lower operating temperature than a 195?.... in other words changing your thermostat will keep your coolant cooler at operating temp?
Those are two different statements. You need to quantify "operating temperature"
Old 04-22-2018, 10:14 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
A smarter choice would be to identify the rpm where KR occurs and reduce the timing slightly at that point and forget an additive. That should be a no brainer with any tune.
CPR did the work, and NicD did the tune. The options were lower timing to where there was no KR on 91, since the heads were milled, or add booster and gain another ~15 horses or so. I opted for the horsepower.

Why the whole bottle? It's easier. I'm lazy.

Last edited by nuke61; 04-22-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:38 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

How many here use a 1 or 2 step colder spark plug (or even 3 steps) because you have a higher than stock horsepower motor? What's the purpose of going to a colder plug?
ikr ^^ and in case you missed it: he provided an excellent rhetorical question to answer your own question about whether or not you need or want colder water in the head.

Efficiency is not always racing. Sometimes yes, but sometimes the brake specific fuel consumption suffers dramatically in order to achieve desired results.

In my opinion, pushing timing is the last thing you want to do. it is the last thing you do to a racing engine is find out how much timing it will take before racing in those conditions.

race engine builder guy has some incredible advice i hope he will post something too
Old 04-22-2018, 10:39 PM
nuke61
Drifting

How many here use a 1 or 2 step colder spark plug (or even 3 steps) because you have a higher than stock horsepower motor? What's the purpose of going to a colder plug?

It's not like a colder thermostat drops the water temperature to the listed temperature, the offset is on the order of 20 degrees or so, even with low loads and a good radiator.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:40 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm having flashbacks to the wrx forum I frequented years ago.

I'm not sure what everyone is going for here. 0.001 seconds faster to the next stop light?
The following users liked this post:
HowWhyWhyHow (08-17-2022)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:46 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

From personal experience, using a 160 thermostat won't prevent your oil from reaching 200°F, not even close. I have a DeWitts radiator cooling my ~580 rwhp C6Z, with a 160°F and my motor runs about in the low 200°F range on 75 degree days. Plenty hot enough to get it flowing well, and to burn off any moisture, without being too hot and risk breakdown.

The reason I put this thermostat on my car is that my motor simply could not get the normal amount of timing for the Alpha cam/WCCH heads build at CPR, and even using an octane booster I was getting a small amount of ping on full throttle acceleration. What dropping from the normal stock thermostat to the 160 thermostat has done is to eliminate the small amounts of ping, using the same mixture of 1 bottle of Royal Purple Max Boost octane booster per tank of 91 octane gasoline.
Have you tried E85 for your pinging?
Old 04-22-2018, 11:08 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rdubfalco
Have you tried E85 for your pinging?
It's on my future mods want list, but I have home projects I need to take care of first.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:59 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

It's on my future mods want list, but I have home projects I need to take care of first.
Gotcha,

Yeah, the DSX Flex fuel sensor is so easy to install you'll wonder why you went without it this long, not to mention the smell: I actually lie the smell of it while others may not. Bottom line is you'll be able to more timing and will probably make a decent amount more power.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:09 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Using E85 is similar to using a cold water temp. Less mileage, less economy. Everything is colder. Fuel goes quicker.

But it becomes safer. Worst brake specific fuel consumption but overall more reliability and output characteristic is favorable, since output goes up with heat as a byproduct in excess and anything colder is going to be, yeah colder.

E85 is much better at it than just a ten degree lower temp water in the head though. Ethanol is a racing fuel IMO, pretty amazing.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 04-23-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:25 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

CPR did the work, and NicD did the tune. The options were lower timing to where there was no KR on 91, since the heads were milled, or add booster and gain another ~15 horses or so. I opted for the horsepower.

Why the whole bottle? It's easier. I'm lazy.
I've seen a couple of NicD's tunes. They may be great on the dyno, but there's still more left on the table at the track or on the street.

Easier and lazy may be costing you the 15 HP you think you gained by using excess octane (slower burning) and that you are continuously increasing the ratio.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

I've seen a couple of NicD's tunes. They may be great on the dyno, but there's still more left on the table at the track or on the street.

Easier and lazy may be costing you the 15 HP you think you gained by using excess octane (slower burning) and that you are continuously increasing the ratio.
Not in a manual car there isn't. Auto a tiny bit from logging it and letting us see what it does down the track. That's why we do track rentals and log passes and half mile events we log too the auto guys or big power manual stuff.
nuke61 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Maybe, but my "only" ~580 rwhp car ran 162 mph at Gila Bend. Lots of cars with more claimed horsepower ran 5 mph slower.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

Maybe, but my "only" ~580 rwhp car ran 162 mph at Gila Bend. Lots of cars with more claimed horsepower ran 5 mph slower.
Bingo. Get more practice and that combo you have will usually do 164-5 depending on weather
nuke61 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:46 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
sorry this is incorrect stereotype I address partially in the above post.

The engine is lubricated by engine oil, so it is important engine oil is up to proper temperature. Coolant at 180*F is of no more risk than coolant at 212*F to engine longevity so long as the engine oil is around 200*F~. An engine oil thermostat could be used to facilitate engine oil heating. Engine oil warmers are also available. there is no reason to say that having a lower T-thermostat will prolong engine oil reaching operating temperature as the devices to assist engine oil warming exist for us to use.
I'm running Mobil1 15W50 as my engine oil and wait until temps come up to around before I start rolling, as for overall temps, they usually don't see above 180's on the street and 175* at night. Does this mean that this oil isn't lubricating my engine enough because of it's viscosity? If not, then I'' probably change out to 5W30. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To 160 Thermostat / Pros/Cons

Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Thanks for setting me straight everyone, lots of knowledge here. Going to change to a 160 thermostat this weekend.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:40 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeffs64
This is the long a short of it. Once your car reaches 160 Degrees the stat will open fully. It's a waste of time to run a 160. has no effect after 160 anyway. If GM wanted it to run cooler it would have been designed that way. The thermostat regulates the flow of the cooler coolant in radiator to cool down the engine. If you have a 160 the coolant won't stay in the radiator long enough to get cooled. The cooling system and emission controls Auto trans if you have one are all designed to run at 180 and above. Just a little more info Straight water in a closed system under 15Lbs of pressure does not boil until 248 Degrees. If you regulate your temps to 160 your engine will not run as efficient. You'll end up leaving carbon deposits and unburned and left over fuel in your cylinders. That will cause problems later. Your cooling fans kick in @ 219-220 Degrees and will cool it quickly. I can give more info on this if you want. It's your car do what ever you think is best for you.
The short and sweet version... you don't know what you're talking about. Because GM designed it that way, it should stay that way? I guess you know nothing about the poorly designed oil cooler?
jeffs64 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 05:42 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
Thanks for setting me straight everyone, lots of knowledge here. Going to change to a 160 thermostat this weekend.

lol classic
HowWhyWhyHow (08-17-2022)

Quick Reply: 160 Thermostat / Pros/Cons