Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Oil Leak

09Z 11k on the clock. So this oil leak seems to be centered around the drivers side very last oil pan bolt. The leak goes down the filter and drips from the bottom of the filter. I have headers, checked the oil cooler lines and they are good. Pan gasket?

Old 04-23-2018, 08:46 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

It's a bitch to get to but the first thing I would do is inspect the oil pressure sensor above. In looking at your pictures, it appears wet higher up then the bolt.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:11 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stefuel
It's a bitch to get to but the first thing I would do is inspect the oil pressure sensor above. In looking at your pictures, it appears wet higher up then the bolt.
thanks man, I just blasted everything with brake cleaner, im going to check over the next few days. Is the oil pressure sensor a common "leak" item? I dont remember seeing too many threads on it.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 PM
zblackz06
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

The oil could be leaking through the seal of the sensors body.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zblackz06
The oil could be leaking through the seal of the sensors body.
I had the heads off for repair, would the sensor be an item that is touched during the disassembly or being put back together?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:55 PM
zblackz06
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Maligator
I had the heads off for repair, would the sensor be an item that is touched during the disassembly or being put back together?
From what I can gather the switch is behind the intake manifold so it may have been damaged during a head swap.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zblackz06
From what I can gather the switch is behind the intake manifold so it may have been damaged during a head swap.
I was able to wiggle a mirror on the firewall side of the gasket, no signs of oil.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:23 PM
chubbs6350
Burning Brakes

Received 830 Likes on 368 Posts

I was able to wiggle a mirror on the firewall side of the gasket, no signs of oil.
Oil pan gasket is common, my 09 Z06 started leaking in 2012, it was covered under warranty. It was quite a pita to change for them apparently.
Good luck, hopefully it's just that sensor
Old 04-24-2018, 08:59 AM
milosav2
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

How long has your car been sitting this past winter? Do you live in a colder climate?

I had an oil leak in the same location and turned out to be the oil filter rubber o-ring changing shape/size/deforming while sitting in my garage for ~ 6 months during the cold WI winter.

It could also be the oil pan gasket deforming from sitting so long (from my research). After a few heat cycles, the oil pan gasket and oil filter o-ring should seal up quite well.

1.) Change the oil and wipe all of that dripping oil as best as you can.

2.) Drive it for a few days then get under the car and see if you notice any more dripping oil.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:25 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by milosav2
How long has your car been sitting this past winter? Do you live in a colder climate?

I had an oil leak in the same location and turned out to be the oil filter rubber o-ring changing shape/size/deforming while sitting in my garage for ~ 6 months during the cold WI winter.

It could also be the oil pan gasket deforming from sitting so long (from my research). After a few heat cycles, the oil pan gasket and oil filter o-ring should seal up quite well.

1.) Change the oil and wipe all of that dripping oil as best as you can.

2.) Drive it for a few days then get under the car and see if you notice any more dripping oil.
im exactly in your boat, live in Illinois and it has been sitting since November. Only thing is, I noticed the leak back in November when I changed the oil.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:46 PM
milosav2
Instructor

im exactly in your boat, live in Illinois and it has been sitting since November. Only thing is, I noticed the leak back in November when I changed the oil.
Hmmm. Change the oil again and wipe everything down nicely. Add some of
this this
to your oil (buy the kit for $46.21 a little further down the page). Drive it for a day or two, get under the car and hit it with the uv flashlight. Should help you better trace the stream of oil. Hopefully it's not your rear main seal.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:11 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Hmmm. Change the oil again and wipe everything down nicely. Add some of this to your oil (buy the kit for $46.21 a little further down the page). Drive it for a day or two, get under the car and hit it with the uv flashlight. Should help you better trace the stream of oil. Hopefully it's not your rear main seal.
just ordered that up, thank you!
Old 04-25-2018, 01:27 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

An additional possibility is the cross bolts to the main caps that are on the side of the block. There is a history of these small bolts backing out over time.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:23 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like the filter isnt snug or once warmed up causes a leak. Is it only that area that has oil or is it further up?
Old 04-25-2018, 01:29 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
An additional possibility is the cross bolts to the main caps that are on the side of the block. There is a history of these small bolts backing out over time.

are these what you are talking about? where the arrows are pointing? If so, they are dry, I stuck a q tip in the valley where the bolts are and it came up dry.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:34 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EviLS7
Looks like the filter isnt snug or once warmed up causes a leak. Is it only that area that has oil or is it further up?
hard to tell, I first noticed the leak in November while changing the oil. So I wiped down what I could (without brake cleaner like an idiot). So the current pics are a new filter and the car was only driven down the street and idling in my driveway. If the filter took a ****, would the leak be so wide spread? Its everywhere.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:41 PM
milosav2
Instructor

are these what you are talking about? where the arrows are pointing? If so, they are dry, I stuck a q tip in the valley where the bolts are and it came up dry.
Yes, those are the ones. But there is another one not visible in your picture just behind the oil cooler plate. There are 5 on each side.

Question for you, did you mess around with the oil cooler plate you see in there in the picture? That could be another culprit even if you didn't.

Just asking because I ran across this thread started by you:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...block-off.html

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leak

Old 04-25-2018, 01:44 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes, those are the ones. But there is another one not visible in your picture just behind the oil cooler plate. There are 5 on each side.

Question for you, did you mess around with the oil cooler plate you see in there in the picture? That could be another culprit even if you didn't.

I was wondering about the cooler plate as well. Is the wire supposed to be running behind it like it is?
Old 04-25-2018, 01:48 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Never touched it, I want to, but now I have to chase this leak down. Do I need to remove the oil cooler plate to access this other cross bolt? The dye and UV light you pointed me to should help a ton.

Last edited by Maligator; 04-25-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:50 PM
milosav2
Instructor

Originally Posted by EviLS7
I was wondering about the cooler plate as well. Is the wire supposed to be running behind it like it is?
Yup.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak