Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

3LZ Dash Repair Shops

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 AM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default 3LZ Dash Repair Shops

My dash looks like it is starting to lift and I was hopeful that some of you on here might know of a shop that could do a good job repairing it. I know some of you have had your dashes re-done at an interior shop and would like to know the name and number of a good shop. I am willing to ship my car to a good place. Any help would be much appreciated. I see countless threads of this subject but not much info on actual shops that can do the repair good.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:37 AM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Guess this repair will be a lot harder than expected.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:51 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Not sure what you want to have done. You want to replace your existing dash pad with a stock pad or you want a new aftermarket more luxurious pad installed?

APIS in Long Island NY does excellent work in interiors. I hear they are expensive but many would say you get what you pay for. Their work is often quite beautiful in matuerials both how they look and how they feel..I don't believe they install in Long Island. I believe they make or create and ship but call them I could be incorrect and they also do installations.

If you just want stock pieces installed ..,I'd suggest most world class GM techs could remove and install interior pieces...even order stock parts for you or install what you have shipped to them via either aparts house or specialty dismantled.

I don't know what's involved installing the interior parts but I would suggest contacting Jackson Chevrolet in Middletown Ct. I'd have confidence with their master tech Paul Koerner were doing the work. People travel from all over with appointments to have him do work on their cars...he does the service seminars at corvettes of Carlisle show, bowling green show seminars , Bloomington gold showseminars , the birthday bash service seminars mid America show seminars on how to properly service your vehicle seminars and he also happens to be both a gentleman and a very nice person.

I travel three states to have him service all my vehicles needs. He is that good. Jackson Chevy is a great dealership as well. Fair honest good people. Throughout the staff, I highly recommend..

You can order parts through their service or parts department and have Paul install them for you.

They can give you a laborestimate including time so you can plan accordingly..

That's the best info on either option...
Old 04-25-2018, 09:53 AM
MiamiCowboy
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts

I would press GM really hard for the repair. This is a known manufacture defect because of the way they make the dashboard for the 3LZ option. They put the leather over the base vinyl dashboard and the glue will not last long term resulting the separation of the layers. This will be a life long issue with any Corvette with the 3LZ option. I have heard that GM has replaced dashboards on cars that were beyond their warranty period. Best of luck getting this resolved.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

im hearing a good easy method is having the windshield removed, then having the 3LZ leather reglued down is a safe cost effective way to correct the issue.

I keep hearing more and more about this problem where GM used crap glue and dash covers are pealing back.

B.J.'s Upholstery....813-932-7305 Ask for B.J. has repaired a couple
The following 2 users liked this post by phils C5 vette:
Frankie15 (04-26-2018), Terry the Tramp (02-14-2020)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:43 PM
chatcher
Thick Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

If you can find your dash its not a hard swap. I did mine in less than 8 hours on a Saturday. I found my new dash on Ebay in the exact color I needed for around $1200.00. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost that much to have some one repair you existing, which will probably not be as good a result as putting in an entirely new one.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:46 PM
chatcher
Thick Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Here is a pic of mine out. If you decide to go this route feel free to hit me up with any ?'s
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

if you have low miles, you could probably get gm to do it for less than 1k.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:19 PM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

I have 19k miles on my Z, I consider that low.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
explain specifically how and your experience ?

I have 3600 miles on my 2010.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm sure you have read all the threads on here, if not, in your browser, type in C6 Corvette dash, many threads from here will come up. You can TRY to get GM to help, 95% have 0 success. I was fortunate and paid $500 as a customer satisfaction deal. (Very fortunate as I did not buy the car from this dealership). As stated above, go to the biggest dealership around you, or if you bought from a dealership, and speak to the regional service rep. It sounds like you are ok knowing the odds are slim. You "could" get the lower package dash but I didn't want to go that way, CULTRAG had the best price for a new one, around $2000 and then installation. Hang in there, frustrating, until it's fixed. Oh, it wasn't just Corvettes that had this issue, some high end cars also went through the same thing. Good luck. Sorry, can't help you with shop, I'm only familiar with central PA.

Last edited by psp6158; 04-26-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
im hearing a good easy method is having the windshield removed, then having the 3LZ leather reglued down is a safe cost effective way to correct the issue.

I keep hearing more and more about this problem where GM used crap glue and dash covers are pealing back.

Thanks for this! My dash is coming up just a little near the defroster vent. If it gets any worse, I will definitely be heading to B.J.'s Upholstery. Thanks for the recommendation!
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie15:
phils C5 vette (04-29-2018), Terry the Tramp (02-14-2020)
Old 04-26-2018, 02:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Precisely how I would handle it. Find a highly recommended upholstery shop, and call out someone (like safelite, etc) to R&R the windshield. If you have chips or pits in your windshield, may be a good time to swap in a new one as well.
The following users liked this post:
phils C5 vette (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 04:50 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Thanks for this! My dash is coming up just a little near the defroster vent. If it gets any worse, I will definitely be heading to B.J.'s Upholstery. Thanks for the recommendation!
that recommendation came from someone that works at a local dealership. I wouldn't mind making a trip over and visiting her together. Maybe we can get a local group rate because the problem isn't going away

Last edited by phils C5 vette; 04-29-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:50 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I love when these guys post this ridiculous BS based on opinion...
Do you even own a 3LZ? Has your dash began to separate?

I own a 3LZ (08) and have zero separation. The majority on this forum and out in the world do not have this issue. Its not like the valve guide issue which is when not if it will happen.

I don't think the dash issue is as prominent. Perhaps its just me.

Originally Posted by MiamiCowboy
I would press GM really hard for the repair. This is a known manufacture defect because of the way they make the dashboard for the 3LZ option. They put the leather over the base vinyl dashboard and the glue will not last long term resulting the separation of the layers. This will be a life long issue with any Corvette with the 3LZ option. I have heard that GM has replaced dashboards on cars that were beyond their warranty period. Best of luck getting this resolved.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:30 AM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

I have my console, steering wheel (and soon to be gauge cluster) out. Other than time, it doesn't seem like getting the complete dash out is overly complex.

If the lifting happened to my car, I would take out the dash and let a high end upholstery shop take care of the problem before I would have the windshield removed.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:00 PM
leadfart
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I have this issue, and while I don't have exact numbers, many of the ZR1's are afflicted with it. Not many came with the 1LZ option. Chevrolet is not going to address it, period. When it gets bad enough, I will probably take it to a reputable, local upholstery shop, and get another reputable, glass man to remove the glass, and hopefully that will solve it.

I know a lot of the Z06's came with the 2LZ, and no leather issue. I could live without the leather dash, but I'm not going to drop 3000 plus on a new one from GM, that could potentially do the same thing!

Get notified of new replies

To 3LZ Dash Repair Shops

Old 04-30-2018, 05:20 PM
RRGOO7
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 12 Posts

I was lucky enough to have GM replace mine about two years ago for $600 as a courtesy.

Press the dealer and GM
Old 02-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Terry the Tramp
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phil, did you have your dash repaired at BJ's?
Old 02-14-2020, 01:54 PM
Terry the Tramp
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
GM wants $2100 to do mine.

Quick Reply: 3LZ Dash Repair Shops