Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Best fuel additive for higher octane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 12:34 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjagg0125
What is the best fuel additive to raise octane. Thinking about running some for a half mile event to make sure there isn't any detonation... thoughts?
Product call “Bostane” I have never used it but on YouTube is a clip

They claimed 90hp! This guy on YouTube Dynoed to verify it. Sure enough what they claimed was true according to the youtuber. He was really skeptical (me too) but the before and after proofed it!

Last edited by hotrod03; 05-03-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:01 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Default Here's my additive story

I was never a fan of any sort of additives as I thought they were all basically snake oil, until a few years ago when Dave Myers (from Yank Performance) talked me into trying something called "Aces IV" in my drag car.

I was admittedly very skeptical so just prior to trying it out at a Test and Tune I pulled 10 degrees of timing out of the car just to play it safe. With 91 pump octane in the car and the recommended mix (1 ounce per 6 gallons) I started making passes and after not seeing any knock, I added two degrees back in after each one.

By the end of the night I was able to put the full ten degrees back into the tune and eventually two or three more without any knock whatsoever, compared to what I had been running previously with a 50/50 blend of 91 and 100 octane.

I've been using it now for about 5 years and it saves me a ton of money on 100 octane race gas (about $8 a gallon here in California) and I can assure you it's the real deal. There was one time however when I started seeing a little bit of knock in my HP Tuners log files and after talking to Brian at BND Automotive (they make the stuff) he informed me it was likely due to the transition to winter blend fuel. His recommendation was to bump up the ratio to 1 ounce per 5 gallons and sure enough the problem went away.

I've also had several friends try it out on various semi high performance cars (C6 ZR1, Dodge Charger, newer Mustang with a blower etc) and with no tune changes whatsoever they've all reported back a noticeable difference in how the car ran and felt with the most common thing being able to light up the tires from a dead stop. While I can't confirm or deny those stories as I only run it in my race car I have no reason to doubt what they told me.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:45 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I was never a fan of any sort of additives as I thought they were all basically snake oil, until a few years ago when Dave Myers (from Yank Performance) talked me into trying something called "Aces IV" in my drag car.

I was admittedly very skeptical so just prior to trying it out at a Test and Tune I pulled 10 degrees of timing out of the car just to play it safe. With 91 pump octane in the car and the recommended mix (1 ounce per 6 gallons) I started making passes and after not seeing any knock, I added two degrees back in after each one.

By the end of the night I was able to put the full ten degrees back into the tune and eventually two or three more without any knock whatsoever, compared to what I had been running previously with a 50/50 blend of 91 and 100 octane.

I've been using it now for about 5 years and it saves me a ton of money on 100 octane race gas (about $8 a gallon here in California) and I can assure you it's the real deal. There was one time however when I started seeing a little bit of knock in my HP Tuners log files and after talking to Brian at BND Automotive (they make the stuff) he informed me it was likely due to the transition to winter blend fuel. His recommendation was to bump up the ratio to 1 ounce per 5 gallons and sure enough the problem went away.

I've also had several friends try it out on various semi high performance cars (C6 ZR1, Dodge Charger, newer Mustang with a blower etc) and with no tune changes whatsoever they've all reported back a noticeable difference in how the car ran and felt with the most common thing being able to light up the tires from a dead stop. While I can't confirm or deny those stories as I only run it in my race car I have no reason to doubt what they told me.
Does it also leave the orange residue?
Old 05-03-2018, 03:52 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Does it also leave the orange residue?
Nope, not that I've ever noticed. I don't have cats in the car so that's not an issue, but my spark plugs look totally fine.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:06 PM
AHP
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

Where are you buying ACES IV? I've found some interesting discussion about it online but can't find anyone selling/retailing it.

Last edited by AHP; 05-03-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:16 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by AHP
Where are you buying ACES IV? I've found some interesting discussion about it online but can't find anyone selling/retailing it.
You can buy it from http://bndautomotive.com directly, but I get mine from Yank as he's a reseller.

Quick Reply: Best fuel additive for higher octane?