Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Can I lock the fob in the car? 2013.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 08:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Can I lock the fob in the car? 2013.

I know it's probably explained in some obtuse GM manner in the manual, but in English, is it possible to lock my fob in the car, or will it not lock, or will the horn beep at me or what?

I have not had time yet to go thru the preferences etc.

What is you favored setup?

The following users liked this post:
Olnavy (05-18-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 08:08 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I know it's probably explained in some obtuse GM manner in the manual, but in English, is it possible to lock my fob in the car, or will it not lock, or will the horn beep at me or what?

i would have to say yes. Not sure if they vary by years in that regard but fwiw I had a 2011 and locked the key in the rear cargo area with windows up. Car was parked in a storage spot and I didn’t have onstar so it was a real pain getting back in. You should be able to set the number of warning beeps the car gives you though.
froggy47 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

My 08Z will honk if I leave keys in the car. A couple of examples: getting out of car after shopping with bags in passenger seat, my garage setup makes it easier to get bags out of car from the passenger side, car will honk when I get out cause keys are sitting in passenger seat. I hate keys in my pocket feeling. anther example that I have noticed. Getting out of car with keys in hand, if I walk around the back of car, within close proximity, car thinks keys are still in car and will honk, this usually happens in the garage. likewise, this has happened to me in parking lot, which is pretty embarrassing, as if I'm causing it to say, hay, look at me, I'm driving a Z06. Very embarrassing!

Back to your question, is it possible to lock fob in car? It shouldn't but, as many of us know, these Vettes have electronic Gremlins. My 2006 FX35 DD is also not supposed to lock fob in car. A couple years back the fob got locked in and had to call locksmith to get in. Since then I have tried many times to lock fob in my SUV in garage, trying to duplicate that incident with the spare fob inside house. It refuses to lock with fob in car. I chalk this up to a possible computer glitch that day. Go figure
froggy47 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:38 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes, it is possible to lock the fob in the car when using the passive locking feature. This is not a computer glitch. It is supposed to detect if the fob is still in the car and then not lock, but you have to remember that this depends on the car's ability to receive a signal from the fob. There are some 'dead' areas in the cargo area where the fob won't be recognized so the car will lock even though the fob is still in the car. If no signal is detected, the computer assumes that the fob is not in the car. This may also depend on the strength of the battery in the fob. If it is weak, the car may not detect the fob all the time. I have problems sometimes if I have the fob in my left pants pocket and the car won't start because it tells me 'fob not detected', so just because the fob is in the car doesn't guarantee that the computer will recognize it.
froggy47 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:42 AM
philadd
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by itomh
My 08Z will honk if I leave keys in the car. A couple of examples: getting out of car after shopping with bags in passenger seat, my garage setup makes it easier to get bags out of car from the passenger side, car will honk when I get out cause keys are sitting in passenger seat...
There is an option in the Personalized Settings in the DIC menus for this. If I remember correctly, it's labeled FOB Reminder.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:35 AM
08Z
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

mine will always beep and stay unlocked. until the one time it didnt and i was at the track with the windows up... Luckly another Z06 owners key worked to open the rear hatch...
Old 05-03-2018, 12:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by 08Z
mine will always beep and stay unlocked. until the one time it didnt and i was at the track with the windows up... Luckly another Z06 owners key worked to open the rear hatch...
Seriously? Wow. How many key patterns did they use, a couple?

Old 05-03-2018, 12:45 PM
08Z
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

they looked identical...
Old 05-03-2018, 12:58 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by 08Z
they looked identical...

I'll be trying my key in a few (with permission, of course).

Last edited by froggy47; 05-03-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:18 PM
kabdog
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a '13 and leave my FOB in the car when it's in the garage. Horn honks 3 times, but never locks.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:39 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by kabdog
I have a '13 and leave my FOB in the car when it's in the garage. Horn honks 3 times, but never locks.
Good to know, gathering data.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-03-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:22 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

09Z and set to auto lock. If I leave my FOB in my golf bag and close the hatch the car locks.

A helpful hint you may want to try:
If you have a spare FOB (like at home), cell call to that location, put your phone on speaker and have the person with the 2nd FOB put their phone on speaker, then hold your phone next to the driver's door handle when the other person pushes the unlock button on the 2nd FOB. The dood should unlock.

In the few cases I have tried this on several C6's it has worked.

Last edited by AzDave47; 05-03-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:08 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AzDave47
09Z and set to auto lock. If I leave my FOB in my golf bag and close the hatch the car locks.

If you have a spare FOB (like at home), cell call to that location, put your phone on speaker and have the person with the 2nd FOB put their phone on speaker, then hold your phone next to the driver's door handle when the other person pushes the unlock button on the 2nd FOB. The dood should unlock.

I know you said you have tried this and it worked, but I find it hard to believe. Locking/unlocking the door is based on an encrypted data stream that is transmitted over the air, which does not work when transmitted over a cell phone as they operate on different frequencies (one uses 800 MHz while the other uses 300 MHz).

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/remote-possibility/
Old 05-03-2018, 11:10 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kabdog
I bet you have never left your keys in the rear cargo area.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:14 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I know you said you have tried this and it worked, but I find it hard to believe. Locking/unlocking the door is based on an encrypted data stream that is transmitted over the air, which does not work when transmitted over a cell phone as they operate on different frequencies (one uses 800 MHz while the other uses 300 MHz).

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/remote-possibility/
I have personally seen it work on 4 or 5 C6s including mine. With mine, my wife was at home and I was 10 miles away when it worked.

We have a Vette Club breakfast every Tuesday morning and were able to have it work on several cars via call using the FOB 250 yards away. It didn't work at that distance without the phone.

Interesting that that same article does not mention how parking lot thieves use remote code readers to pick out you FoB signal when you lock it and then when you walk away they break into your car with the stolen code.

Last edited by AzDave47; 05-03-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:24 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Woah, huh.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I bet you have never left your keys in the rear cargo area.
So the distance fob to module that does the work, is short & critical to the whole deal. Hmm.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I lock the fob in the car? 2013.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:27 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I have personally seen it work on 4 or 5 C6s including mine. With mine, my wife was at home and I was 10 miles away when it worked.

We have a Vette Club breakfast every Tuesday morning and were able to have it work on several cars via call using the FOB 250 yards away. It didn't work at that distance without the phone.

Interesting that that same article does not mention how parking lot thieves use remote code readers to pick out you FoB signal when you lock it and then when you walk away they break into your car with the stolen code.
Have "heard" that & now trying to remember to use the door button to lock.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:34 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

I suppose if the code reader can transmit the recorded signal at the same frequency as the fob, then that would explain why it would work, but I'm no expert so I don't know for sure. However, those code readers only work with the older style RKE systems that used a fixed code. The industry standard for RKE systems changed in the mid 1990's to use rolling random codes, which makes code readers useless for more modern cars.
froggy47 (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

Only vaguely on topic... but on some late '80s/early90s BMWs it was actually possible to lock passengers in the car. They had a feature called 'Double Lock' that would electrically uncouple the locking mechanisms and disable the entire electrical system.
Double lock could be activated from the F doors, and also the trunk. The typical scenario would be dropping someone off at the airport...
They get out from the rear door
Driver hands them the key to get their bag in the trunk
They close and lock the trunk, inadvertently activating double lock
Hand key back to driver, close rear door.
Voila! If the windows were rolled up, you were trapped inside unless the car had the optional factory alarm. Alarm remote would unlock you, but not all cars had one!
Those Germans, they have a pretty refined sense of humor...

Quick Reply: Can I lock the fob in the car? 2013.