Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

New Guy Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 09:40 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default New Guy Questions

First off, I just bought my C6Z about two weeks ago. Velocity Yellow(hence the name), under 40k miles in Pittsburgh PA. I'm active duty in Hampton Roads.

I'm planning a complete bolt on build, with top internals. I think I've gathered enough information from the years on what I want to do. This forum and you guys have so much experience in here, and lessons learned that it made it easy to make the decisions to get to 600 whp on a stock bottom and na.

Originally I wanted to go ECS or A&A centri supercharged, likely ECS due to location. Couldn't go wrong with either in my opinion, but then the guide rod and valvetrain issues with the LS7 made me paranoid. The engine sounds great, like a sewing machine, not super smooth. I plan to remove the valve covers next weekend for the wiggle test.

in the mean time, something I haven't been able to entirely find and easy answer on by searching. I believe it's a sub contracting issue from GM having somebody else machine the heads, and tolerance getting messed up there. However, have there been any correlations between the actual builders of the engine, and engines with dropped valves?

Just looking for some reassurance. This winter I'm going with AHP, and just rebuilding them. Only planning on driving the Z on nice sunny days, a little spirited driving, but I would hate to lose the motor when I've already got plans on a top end rebuild about 8 months down the road after I save a little more.

Huge thanks to all of you guys for all the information you've gathered here. Very happy to finally be an owner of a true piece of American History!
Old 05-06-2018, 01:20 AM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Welcome and congratulations on your new (to you) Z. I like to be on the cautious side, and would have the head fix as soon as possible. I personally recommend using AHP, American Heritage Performance, LS7 head package 4 as the fix. Search the forum, as there are a ton of posts on this subject.

Great choice of car.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:15 AM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Thanks!

AHP is the plan. I've read so many horror stories in here, don't want to be one of them. Absolutely still enjoying the car though.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:48 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Welcome to the club... Love the VY C6Z's... w close to 40K if you are planning on spirited driving I would caution you to do the heads sooner than later... Sounds as though you will be doing it yourself. $1500 is pretty cheap insurance. do the cam and bolt ons this winter... do the heads now... Seems as of late their are valve drop stories more frequently even from guys coasting to a light at 800 rpm's... $15K... or $1500... its your choice. Are you a gambling man...?

Last edited by TXGS507; 05-06-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:44 AM
427V8BB
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Welcome to the club... Love the VY C6Z's... w close to 40K if you are planning on spirited driving I would caution you to do the heads sooner than later... Sounds as though you will be doing it yourself. $1500 is pretty cheap insurance. do the cam and bolt ons this winter... do the heads now... Seems as of late their are valve drop stories more frequently even from guys coasting to a light at 800 rpm's... $15K... or $1500... its your choice. Are you a gambling man...?

yeah I had the same plan in mind but I was too scared ended up doing head/cam/headers within the second week of ownership. Have no regrets, except for one thing. Lool
Old 05-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Call AHP now and get that ball rolling. They’re pretty busy so it might take some time to get your stuff even if you start the process now.

Great guys and a great product. If you’re just going to be using it for spirited driving you probably don’t need all the bells and whistles. But if you want 600 at the wheel don’t hold back.

Last edited by Jfryjfry; 05-06-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:03 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

I need to give AHP a call this week. OH8Z06 its the exact stories of 800 rpm driving dropping valves, and noticing more and more often now that these stories are coming up. It doesn't seem like the stories are going to end any time soon, and i don't want to be the next one. Which is why i was a little curious if anybody has correlated engine data to individuals that may have built the motors. Maybe it's a few builders who didn't turn away bad components, or take the time to measure for tolerances.

I do plan to go with all the bells and whistles, and would really enjoy to do the work myself. There's a great DIY install here of the heads that I saw a few weeks ago. Certainly a time consuming build, but i love getting my hands dirty and learning. Setting the timing is my only concern, doing the install myself.

Curious about some of the higher quality shops that do cylinder head installs/cam swaps, do they use any machines that make setting timing correct easier and more accurate? Or do they also do everything by hand and eye? If a shop can build to better reliability from high quality tools, maaaybe i'll just go that route.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:18 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

There is no "correlation" with anything with the heads, they had issues. We are very happy you are familiar with the issue and doing something about it. With 40,000 miles, we are.all going to suggest getting them done asap, as like you said, many have dropped at 1000 Rpms. Congratulations on the car.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:55 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Swapping the heads now and doing a tune will be cheap. It is when you want a decent sized cam things get expensive. Big cam-headers-MSD haha, cams love air in and out. That and milled heads. I am active as well, what branch?
Old 05-06-2018, 04:21 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

There is no "correlation" with anything with the heads, they had issues. We are very happy you are familiar with the issue and doing something about it. With 40,000 miles, we are.all going to suggest getting them done asap, as like you said, many have dropped at 1000 Rpms. Congratulations on the car.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:49 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Innovate
Swapping the heads now and doing a tune will be cheap. It is when you want a decent sized cam things get expensive. Big cam-headers-MSD haha, cams love air in and out. That and milled heads. I am active as well, what branch?
I'm Navy, how about you?

The valvetrain issue is such a problem because it doesn't seem anybody had any signs that the failure was even coming. It just happens... Some people seem to have pretty good luck, lots of miles, hpde, and drag strip runs with all bolt ons and no internals. I don't know if I'm that person to have that kind of luck haha, but i'm not taking the risk.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:02 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I’m in the camp of don’t go FI on stock bottom end. Pistons and sleeves are the weak link.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I’m in the camp of don’t go FI on stock bottom end. Pistons and sleeves are the weak link.
I've read the same, and some seem to have great success with it... honestly, 600 whp on a street car is pretty much perfect, naturally aspirated at that. It gives the ability to have less than 5 horsepower to weight without spending 150k on something European.

Exhaust, brakes, battery, coilovers, sway bar, and wheels to get under 3,000 pounds. These cars are phenomenal...

There's a lot of different driving styles, some better than others. But the wheelbase, width, and aftermarket products available make the C6Z's such an amazing ride. I can't wait to get started.

Last edited by VelocityC6z; 05-06-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by VelocityC6z
I'm Navy, how about you?

The valvetrain issue is such a problem because it doesn't seem anybody had any signs that the failure was even coming. It just happens... Some people seem to have pretty good luck, lots of miles, hpde, and drag strip runs with all bolt ons and no internals. I don't know if I'm that person to have that kind of luck haha, but i'm not taking the risk.
Sweet, USAF here.

It is best to go ahead and get it done. Mine started making louder noises and I would rather spend money on heads/cam/headers/intake than for a whole new engine. Luck is something I do not have lol, that is why I went ahead and did it.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:29 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Sweet, USAF here.

It is best to go ahead and get it done. Mine started making louder noises and I would rather spend money on heads/cam/headers/intake than for a whole new engine. Luck is something I do not have lol, that is why I went ahead and did it.
AF is good, had my fair share of your rotator flights the last 4 years.

Not much luck here either. Great point... after getting them done, does it still sound like a sewing machine?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 722 Likes on 496 Posts

It shouldn't matter if the power comes from boost or NA. power is power, heat from fuel in terms of Watts (Joules/sec) or Horsepower it doesn't make a difference whether there is boost or not.

Superchargers though, they require power to spin. So you make 600 to the tire, but the supercharger is eating 100-125hp. So its really a 725 to the tire combo. And now remove drivetrain losses and your at over 800hp at the engine. Thats why they get a bad rap IMO.

there are lots, LOTS of people using turbochargers on Near-stock LS engines, even from 2002~ era an All original 5.3L truck Iron block with factory cast pistons seems to support over 600RWHP for 50,000+ miles. those engines cost about $400-$600 around here, as many as you want. So I could never spend more than $1000 on an engine if I only wanted 600 or 700 horsepower.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:03 PM
Innovate
Drifting

AF is good, had my fair share of your rotator flights the last 4 years.

Not much luck here either. Great point... after getting them done, does it still sound like a sewing machine?
Haha I got you, I am weather. I probably forecasted for some of those flights.

I am not done yet lol, between the military and my detailing business, I have to find time work on her!

Get notified of new replies

To New Guy Questions

Old 05-06-2018, 09:39 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
It shouldn't matter if the power comes from boost or NA. power is power, heat from fuel in terms of Watts (Joules/sec) or Horsepower it doesn't make a difference whether there is boost or not.

Superchargers though, they require power to spin. So you make 600 to the tire, but the supercharger is eating 100-125hp. So its really a 725 to the tire combo. And now remove drivetrain losses and your at over 800hp at the engine. Thats why they get a bad rap IMO.

there are lots, LOTS of people using turbochargers on Near-stock LS engines, even from 2002~ era an All original 5.3L truck Iron block with factory cast pistons seems to support over 600RWHP for 50,000+ miles. those engines cost about $400-$600 around here, as many as you want. So I could never spend more than $1000 on an engine if I only wanted 600 or 700 horsepower.
Great points. Torque and power curves, iat's, reliability, sustained performance, and all things also come into play between centri and pd superchargers. All variables on forced induction on the ls7.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:49 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Haha I got you, I am weather. I probably forecasted for some of those flights.

I am not done yet lol, between the military and my detailing business, I have to find time work on her!
Tell me more about your detailing business. I could drive to South Carolina with a bottle of scotch and whatever pads, abrasives, and materials you need if you're a fan of yellow corvettes haha.

Finding time to take leave is easy, but finding time to enjoy it and not catch up on work around the house is the hard part.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 722 Likes on 496 Posts

Great points. Torque and power curves, iat's, reliability, sustained performance, and all things also come into play between centri and pd superchargers. All variables on forced induction on the ls7.

I can't tell if you understood what I meant, which is to avoid all superchargers and use only turbochargers on combustion engines. Even if it needs to go in the back of the car. there is a 2000 horsepower twin rear mount vette running around, doing mile races just fine.

Quick Reply: New Guy Questions