Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

what percent of c6 ls7s drop valves?

Old 05-09-2018, 04:15 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by moose.b3
I took my Z to a Chevy dealer that is very familiar with the valve guide problem. I had them do the wiggle test to give me an indication of whether or not the valves seemed to be out of spec. If the valves seemed to be in spec, I was going to have to pay for the wiggle test. But both times I had the test done, the valves were deemed to be out of spec. The first time was 5 years ago and the heads were replaced with new GM heads that lasted 23,000 miles. A lot has been learned in the last 5 years and GMPP now works with AHP so we can get their fixed heads. You're not that far from AHP, call them.
what happened after 23k miles? Guessing you just had AHP take care of them?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:05 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by NotreOkc
Yes I get that, but the chances of them blowing are minuscule, I'm sure you get that.
You can call it the luck of the draw but when I am a part of the 95% who never had an issue I was willing to take those odds. Was I just flat lucky being a part of 95% or were those who were a part of the less than 5% very very unfortunate. Take your pick. You decided to fix yours and that is great. I decided to never touch mine and it worked out for me. If you notice on any post I make I never tell anyone to NOT fix them. I tell them for their peace of mind if they want to they should!
If they do not, then enjoy the car and drive the heck out of it.
Glad your one of the lucky ones man!! Guess I just bought an insurance policy. Lol I needed the peace of mind. Lol
Old 05-10-2018, 01:41 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I have confidence in three things:

1) the majority of LS7's don't fail catastrophically.

2) the valve guide issue is real, and can lead to (eventual) failure.

3) the majority of failures are "likely" aggravated / propagated by track use.

Internet "statistics" is one thing. However, if I look around at my LOCAL circle (in Canada, of all places, which has ~1/10th the car population as the USA), I can count a number of LS7 owners who I know (or know of) that have had engine failures, MYSELF INCLUDED.

Almost all of the "failures" that I know of around here, have happened at the track, or subsequent to tracking. Mine ('06Z) occurred on-track (less catastrophic than dropped valves, but was down ~2+qts of oil after 2 track sessions, and wiped the main crank bearings).

Outside of "failures", there have been a number which have been inspected and confirmed out-of-spec. My new (to me) '11 Z is in that club, and the heads are currently being fixed.

So what's the percentage??? My thoughts are "quite high" for guides out-of-spec. However, actual engine FAILURES is probably quite low, as MOST cars do not get pushed/abused to their fullest potential, thus, the guide wear can be tolerated for thousands of miles without notice or apparent "issue".

That's my $.02.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:13 AM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Out of spec =/= about to fail.

My friend has his tested and his valves were found to be out of spec EIGHTY THOUSAND MILES ago.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:44 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
I have confidence in three things:

1) the majority of LS7's don't fail catastrophically.

2) the valve guide issue is real, and can lead to (eventual) failure.

3) the majority of failures are "likely" aggravated / propagated by track use.

Internet "statistics" is one thing. However, if I look around at my LOCAL circle (in Canada, of all places, which has ~1/10th the car population as the USA), I can count a number of LS7 owners who I know (or know of) that have had engine failures, MYSELF INCLUDED.

Almost all of the "failures" that I know of around here, have happened at the track, or subsequent to tracking. Mine ('06Z) occurred on-track (less catastrophic than dropped valves, but was down ~2+qts of oil after 2 track sessions, and wiped the main crank bearings).

Outside of "failures", there have been a number which have been inspected and confirmed out-of-spec. My new (to me) '11 Z is in that club, and the heads are currently being fixed.

So what's the percentage??? My thoughts are "quite high" for guides out-of-spec. However, actual engine FAILURES is probably quite low, as MOST cars do not get pushed/abused to their fullest potential, thus, the guide wear can be tolerated for thousands of miles without notice or apparent "issue".

That's my $.02.
Not to rain on your parade here but the majority of ls7's dont have 100k miles on them so saying the majority wont fail is an impossible statement to make.

GM designs engines with a 300k mile life expectancy. So if you have guides out of spec at 10, 20, 30k miles then yes thats technically a parts failure. Out of spec guides will eventually lead to a dropped valve given enough time.

Your last point makes no sense though I'm sorry. I have seen more valve failures in bone stock cars idling down the roadway than anything else. If anything it seems the track cars hold up better than the garage queens.

My bone stock car with 16k on it which had never been driven out of its hometown let alone on a track had every single guide out of spec.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:17 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Not to rain on your parade here but the majority of ls7's dont have 100k miles on them so saying the majority wont fail is an impossible statement to make.
I'm not saying they can't or won't fail, given enough time. I'm just saying, right now, of ALL the LS7's that have been built, how many have ACTUALLY dropped a valve?? Is it at the 100% mark? I doubt it.

I'm completely on-board, there IS an issue with the guides. The number affected may literally be 100%. So we could argue that 100% of LS7's are a ticking time-bomb, but how many of them have been driving around for thousands of miles and have yet to actually fail?? LOTS!! Point being, the number of outright failures/dropped valves is a much smaller percentage than the total number of LS7's on the road.

Out of spec guides will eventually lead to a dropped valve given enough time.
I'm mostly in agreement there, but "can" and "will" are two different things. If "valves out of spec" means that a valve WILL drop, then 100% of LS7's should have dropped valves already, but the FACT is, lots of LS7's are driving around everyday with worn guides, and still "ticking" (but not yet failed). So it's not a 100% guarantee ....... at least in the short-term. But like you said, and I agree as well, most LS7's probably don't have ~100k miles on them.

Your last point makes no sense though I'm sorry. I have seen more valve failures in bone stock cars idling down the roadway than anything else. If anything it seems the track cars hold up better than the garage queens.
All I'm saying is that, of the LS7's that I know of which have been tracked, the failure rate (I mean catastrophic failures) has been high. Not "100%", but very high.

As for the street driven cars having worn guides ............ absolutely .......... never doubting or arguing this point for a moment. But my belief is that, while the guides ARE wearing, the odds of dropping a valve are MUCH LOWER while cruising on the street than they are if you're pushing an engine on the track which is suffering from worn guides.

Sorry if it seems I'm arguing semantics. Somewhat, YES, but the OP's question related to "what percentage of LS7's drop valves", and as of yet, the number is far from 100%.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:33 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by slow_zo6

what happened after 23k miles? Guessing you just had AHP take care of them?
I had the valve guides checked at 23,000 miles because my GMPP is expiring in July of this year. So it was my last chance while still under warranty. Yes, GMPP is paying for new AHP reworked heads.
The following users liked this post:
LTVN68 (05-10-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what percent of c6 ls7s drop valves?