Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Halltech DRED Hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 01:26 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Wow... That's a work of art... Now then, get it installed and shoot some pics...
Old 05-26-2018, 04:49 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Now that’s how you ship a hood. Bad *** looking hood for sure. Plans to paint any portion, or leave it bare?
Old 05-26-2018, 06:35 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Wow... That's a work of art... Now then, get it installed and shoot some pics...
I do plan to prefit the hood before painting.

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Now that’s how you ship a hood. Bad *** looking hood for sure. Plans to paint any portion, or leave it bare?
I will paint the top to match the car (Atomic Orange) and leave the waterfall and center exposed as Jim did on the ULG. The underside will be left in exposed CF.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:50 PM
MMEOD85
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

DRED hood on my 07 - bought & installed it 4 years ago, want one for my ZR1! Perfect fit!

Last edited by MMEOD85; 05-26-2018 at 08:52 PM. Reason: More info
The following users liked this post:
Bad_AX (05-26-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:57 AM
heavychevy357
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
I do plan to prefit the hood before painting.

I will paint the top to match the car (Atomic Orange) and leave the waterfall and center exposed as Jim did on the ULG. The underside will be left in exposed CF.
i have atomic orange so I’m really looking forward to seeing this!
Old 05-27-2018, 03:56 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

The guys getting the Halltech hood need to be prepared to spend more money on additional carbon fiber parts.

What am I talking about?

Every time you walk by your car and gaze into the hood opening and you see the dull black plastic air intake your going to think, omg, that's ugly.

The fix...Halltech's carbon fiber cold air intake. A perfect match for your new Halltech DRED hood.

Ask me how I know this.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

You aren't wrong! Fortunately, I have a Mamba carbon fiber CAI from Zip Corvette. The next CF parts are the roof and bow to complete the look.

Originally Posted by Larry Myers
The guys getting the Halltech hood need to be prepared to spend more money on additional carbon fiber parts.

What am I talking about?

Every time you walk by your car and gaze into the hood opening and you see the dull black plastic air intake your going to think, omg, that's ugly.

The fix...Halltech's carbon fiber cold air intake. A perfect match for your new Halltech DRED hood.

Ask me how I know this.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:10 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

You aren't wrong! Fortunately, I have a Mamba carbon fiber CAI from Zip Corvette. The next CF parts are the roof and bow to complete the look.
Have you decided from whom you are going to buy?

Last fall had Katech's cf roof and bow installed on my car. Have a couple of tips, if your interested.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Have you decided from whom you are going to buy?

Last fall had Katech's cf roof and bow installed on my car. Have a couple of tips, if your interested.
I will likely buy the Katech parts. I would value your experience.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

I will likely buy the Katech parts. I would value your experience.
Bad AX, Am aware of two companies selling the carbon fiber roof and bow. Kateck and TKO.

I opted for Kateck because already had several pieces of their carbon fiber. And typically Kateck, it was flawless. The roof and bow were no exception.

One disadvantage, it comes gel coated, not clear coated. I had the clear coat applied after installation. I did this after talking to a shop owner who specializes in laying up carbon fiber. He advised that if one wanted the carbon fiber to retain its brand new shiny gloss it needed to be clear coated.

You will also need to debond the existing roof from its magnesium frame. And then rebond the frame to the new roof. Kateck will do this for about $500. My body shop guy did this and said it was not a problem. He did say its important to use the specified bonding agent and follow the process to the letter. If you remember this issue resulted in a recall on the C5 and C6.

My installer has been in business for 25 years and although he had never done this job he expressed confidence in his ability to so. And he came through. Inspecting it closely I couldn't find anything wrong.
He said the most difficult part was getting everything shimmed properly. That is the joint between the roof and the bow and between the windshield frame and the hatch. Save the shims when disassembling. He also replaced a couple of rubber seals. However, I don't remember which ones.

On a car that has the carbon fiber roof and bow from the factory the weave on the roof runs in one direction and the weave on the bow runs 90 degrees in the other direction. You may want to check this for yourself as its been sometime since I've looked at an oem roof. With the Kateck roof and bow the weave runs in the same direction on both pieces. This is not a big deal in my view. But am curious how long before an expert notices the anomaly. So far no one has noticed.

The thing that put me off with the TKO pieces was they were made by two different companies. They told me their appearance was identical but I wasn't convinced. Subsequently they told me they were going to attempt to convince one company to manufacture both pieces. But there was no confirmation that ever occurred.

The plus side for TKO was the roof comes with the frame already bonded.

My garage has led lights, so every time I pass my car the roof/bow really pops. And this always brings a huge smile to my face. And hopefully you will have the same experience.

My wife not so much.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 05-29-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Bad_AX (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 02:23 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Bad AX, Am aware of two companies selling the carbon fiber roof and bow. Kateck and TKO.

I opted for Kateck because already had several pieces of their carbon fiber. And typically Kateck, it was flawless. The roof and bow were no exception.

One disadvantage, it comes gel coated, not clear coated. I had the clear coat applied after installation. I did this after talking to a shop owner who specializes in laying up carbon fiber. He advised that if one wanted the carbon fiber to retain its brand new shiny gloss it needed to be clear coated.

You will also need to debond the existing roof from its magnesium frame. And then rebond the frame to the new roof. Kateck will do this for about $500. My body shop guy did this and said it was not a problem. He did say its important to use the specified bonding agent and follow the process to the letter. If you remember this issue resulted in a recall on the C5 and C6.

My installer has been in business for 25 years and although he had never done this job he expressed confidence in his ability to so. And he came through. Inspecting it closely I couldn't find anything wrong.
He said the most difficult part was getting everything shimmed properly. That is the joint between the roof and the bow and between the windshield frame and the hatch. Save the shims when disassembling. He also replaced a couple of rubber seals. However, I don't remember which ones.

On a car that has the carbon fiber roof and bow from the factory the weave on the roof runs in one direction and the weave on the bow runs 90 degrees in the other direction. You may want to check this for yourself as its been sometime since I've looked at an oem roof. With the Kateck roof and bow the weave runs in the same direction on both pieces. This is not a big deal in my view. But am curious how long before an expert notices the anomaly. So far no one has noticed.

The thing that put me off with the TKO pieces was they were made by two different companies. They told me their appearance was identical but I wasn't convinced. Subsequently they told me they were going to attempt to convince one company to manufacture both pieces. But there was no confirmation that ever occurred.

The plus side for TKO was the roof comes with the frame already bonded.

My garage has led lights, so every time I pass my car the roof/bow really pops. And this always brings a huge smile to my face. And hopefully you will have the same experience.

My wife not so much.
Just a point of clarification - the roof, as well as all of our carbon fiber parts currently manufactured, are finished in automotive clear coat.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Bad_AX (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 06:11 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Oops, my bad, was quoting an old post that stated C7 carbon fiber components were clear coated but C6 parts were not.

In any case thanks to Jason for clarifying the issue.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:23 AM
LiquidSnake14180
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are there any more of these still available @Halltech @Katech_Zach ?
HowWhyWhyHow (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 03:12 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MMEOD85

DRED hood on my 07 - bought & installed it 4 years ago, want one for my ZR1! Perfect fit!
I designed the GT2 Waterfall Hood, and own the intellectural rights to it. I will check with my carbon fiber shop to see if they are still open to making more.

Jim Hall
Halltech Systems, LLC

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

The following 3 users liked this post by Halltech:
herwawan (02-08-2024), Hirohawa (02-15-2024), Nater02 (02-16-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 04:02 PM
LiquidSnake14180
Heel & Toe

Thanks Jim, let me know what they say.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:29 AM
Down2BDirty
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

PLEASE let me know if you are able to produce more of the hoods. I have been wanting one for years. Just had Mamo upgrade the engine and I am now dealing with heat issues that this could only help with.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:34 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Interested as well.

Originally Posted by Halltech
I designed the GT2 Waterfall Hood, and own the intellectural rights to it. I will check with my carbon fiber shop to see if they are still open to making more.

Jim Hall
Halltech Systems, LLC

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech DRED Hood

Old 02-15-2024, 03:05 AM
chinmasterflex
Intermediate

I’d also like to get one of these if you decided to make more
Old 02-16-2024, 08:09 AM
rh96ss
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

If you produce it, they will come.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:48 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rh96ss
If you produce it, they will come.
This is the message I received from our carbon fiber shop: "We are swamped right now, running about 6-8 weeks behind on all orders. We can commit to start making these hoods again, but it will be 6-8 weeks before we could start anything. I will try to get pricing to you in a couple days. Just as a heads up, our costs on materials and labor have skyrocketed in the last 8-10 years (when we first priced these). The primered version may end up being more popular these days rather than all preg, depending on how much they are willing to spend."

The following 4 users liked this post by Halltech:
Bad_AX (02-16-2024), K-TownMike (02-16-2024), Nater02 (02-16-2024), todz06 (02-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Halltech DRED Hood