Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMís Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

Michelin PSS vs PS4S?

Old 05-19-2018, 11:44 PM
Josh B.
CF Senior Member

Comparison needs to be new tires vs new tires. Old MPSS vs New PS4S is a rigged process. New tires are always superior across the board. That said, I am sure the PS4S is indeed a better tire. It would be great if they dialed out all of the death wobble when racing on concrete runways.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:14 PM
VFRLuke
CF Senior Member

I ended up with the PS4S and long story short I love them.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:14 PM
ZF Six
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Josh B. View Post
Comparison needs to be new tires vs new tires. Old MPSS vs New PS4S is a rigged process. New tires are always superior across the board. That said, I am sure the PS4S is indeed a better tire. It would be great if they dialed out all of the death wobble when racing on concrete runways.
Are you talking about wheel hop? That's related to suspension more than tires.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:36 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZF Six View Post
1) Pilot Sport
2) Pilot Sport PS2
3) Pilot Super Sport
4) Pilot Sport 4S

That should somewhat explain the number, it's the 4th generation.

I just put these on my ZR1 and came from PSS. I have only put around 40 miles on them. I don't notice them being any quieter but they ride great and seem to have good traction. No complaints, I think I am going to be very pleased with these tires.
I looked at the website and did not find any zr1 oem sizes. Did I miss something or are you using a different size?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:05 PM
ZRon1

Default PS4S tires.

Originally Posted by ZF Six View Post
1) Pilot Sport
2) Pilot Sport PS2
3) Pilot Super Sport
4) Pilot Sport 4S

That should somewhat explain the number, it's the 4th generation.

I just put these on my ZR1 and came from PSS. I have only put around 40 miles on them. I don't notice them being any quieter but they ride great and seem to have good traction. No complaints, I think I am going to be very pleased with these tires.
Good to hear that the 4th Gen tires are better, however, just got off the line with Michelin and ZR1 owners should be aware that they do not make the PS4S tire in 335.25.20 (REAR) size so if your ZR1 came with that size (my 2011 certainly did), you are out of luck. They also told me that the PS2 and PSS are still produced and available. Maybe someone on the forum can suggest a different manufacturer with equally good performance but in the right size.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:48 AM
OlDirty

Are you using the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 for the front and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for the rear? Here in Europe you can get just this combination. No 4S tires in the front tire size (275/35 R18) are available.

Last edited by OlDirty; 06-08-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:03 AM
okaythen
CF Senior Member

Got the 4S couple weeks ago, might try it out in a HPDE next month. Does anyone know how many heat cycles it can do? I use 4s for DD too so I was wondering.

After maxing out heat cycles it just not as good at the track right?, but DD and drag strip should still be ok ?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:48 PM
mkitt27
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by sdgearhe View Post
all I have read sounds good on 4s tires except no cold weather use
Same restriction on all summer tires.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:07 PM
Dirty Howie
CF Senior Member

When the 4S came out I checked tread width and found them to be narrower than the PSS which is what I bought again. Am I wrong about this??

DH
Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 PM
Z.06
CF Senior Member

Default Heat Cycles on Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires

Originally Posted by okaythen View Post
Got the 4S couple weeks ago, might try it out in a HPDE next month. Does anyone know how many heat cycles it can do? I use 4s for DD too so I was wondering.

After maxing out heat cycles it just not as good at the track right?, but DD and drag strip should still be ok ?
I have a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on my Z06 and have been collecting data on performance vs heat cycles. My tires were born in 2016 and since April, I have accumulated 73 heat cycles on them on road courses. While racing slicks and R spec DOT tires seem to have a rapid dropoff in traction after X heat cycles, this does not appear to be the case with my Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. For sure, the traction is not the same at 50 or 60 or 70 heat cycles as when they were new, but the traction does not go off a cliff either. I would say it is a gentle decline. Since the Michelin Pilot 4s tires are very similar in construction and performance to the Super Sport tires, I would expect the change in performance to be similar over the course of heat cycles.

I would expect that this gradual reduction in performance will hold true for HDPEs and drag strip performance, but not for daily driving, where the tires should be good until at least 5 years from their manufacturing date.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:50 AM
71HO454
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
Local place quoted me $1285 installed for the PS4S so I may go that route. I haven't heard anything negative yet other than they don't hold up well on the track.
I love them on my Z06 and would love to put a set on the ZR1 I just bought, but I donít see that they make the PS4S for the ZR1. In fact, Iím noticing that there are very few options for the ZR1, and one of them, is a snow tire.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 AM
ZRCLONE
CF Senior Member

I recently put Pilot Sports on my ZO6 in ZR1 sizes (2017 ZO6 Wheels), they are quite sticky. I cringe when I hear the gravel hitting, front splash guards and side skirts were a must and do help.
Another option there are a few tire softener compounds available.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin PSS vs PS4S?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: