Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

question on new brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Brake Pads

I accept this. I have a 2008 Z06 with Carbotech XP-8 pads and KNS rotors all around. I have a membership at a club with a road course, so my use is mixed. On the track, the XP-8 pads are impeccable, though the heat load checks(small cracks in) the front rotors. More front brake cooling would be very nice.

On the street, the pads/rotors are initially quiet, but then make loud screeching noises on each low speed stop once a little heat is involved. Typical racing pads stuff. All of this drives my wife wild, so we cannot take the Z06 out on a Texas Hill Country cruise without a lot of protests from the brakes.

So even if you claim that you can jack the car up and change pads in 20 or 30 or whatever minutes, this is still a problem for me. I need to have the Z06 ready to enjoy a hill country drive without changing the brake pads first.

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I recommend dedicated street and track pads. The applications are so different. It is much harder to jack up the car and take off the wheels than it is to change the pads. Changing pads is a piece of cake.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:55 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I run Carbotech Xp 20s and Xp 12s on the track and leave them in for street too. Loud and dusty? Sure, but they stop on a dime and don't really need any heat to bite.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:15 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
I run Carbotech Xp 20s and Xp 12s on the track and leave them in for street too. Loud and dusty? Sure, but they stop on a dime and don't really need any heat to bite.
This, I have known many track friends who do this.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:32 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Hawk HPS are just about the worst pads made, and my experience was basically the same. Worse than OEM z06 pads. Maybe they are an upgrade something like a honda accord, but they are a step down on a z06. If you want solid pads, look at the carbotech pads. I swapped to XP8s and the stopping power is night and day different.
I usually agree with you on almost all your post's. Not this time, I changed out the stock pads for the Hawk HPS padlettes and I have nothing but good things to say. No dust to speak of, nice and quiet and stops on a dime. I'll be replacing these with same pads when these wear out.
Just for comparison, the part number for the front that I used is.............. HB 531F 570 HPS I found these on Amazon for $167.00 and I think they are even cheaper now. Rears are about a 1/3 less money.

Good luck!
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2018, 08:16 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
I usually agree with you on almost all your post's. Not this time, I changed out the stock pads for the Hawk HPS padlettes and I have nothing but good things to say. No dust to speak of, nice and quiet and stops on a dime. I'll be replacing these with same pads when these wear out.
Just for comparison, the part number for the front that I used is.............. HB 531F 570 HPS I found these on Amazon for $167.00 and I think they are even cheaper now. Rears are about a 1/3 less money.

Good luck!
Exact opposite experience of myself and many others. Plus there are other cheap pads that have proven to me MUCH MUCH better like the powerstops. Makes me wonder if you had an issues with your stock pads before swapping.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:34 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Powerstop z26 pads are an excellent replacement for OE pads on a street driven car...and might actually be less expensive than Hawks. Low, low dust with as good or better stopping power than OE pads.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:59 PM
fore
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
1) It takes about 20 minutes per side to change pads, and that is if you are taking your time with a beer in one hand. If you are a woman with a purse then it will take you 30 minutes. So never mind this "I have so many projects" nonsense. If you have time to write and respond to posts on the Corvette forum then you have time to swap brake pads, a trivial procedure that any non-disabled person can do.

2) You don't need to remove the caliper pins to swap pads. You simply remove the two rear caliper bolts, pop the caliper off and replace the pads. I am happy to provide a detailed write-up of the steps and tools needed if you like.

Furthermore, there is no such thing as a "good" dual purpose pad. Anything that tries to be good at everything ends up sucking at everything. Hawk HPS pads are **** on the street, **** on the track and **** as a general rule. What you are experiencing is normal (as I already stated) for this POS pad that shouldn't be given to your worst enemy. Toss them directly in the trash and be done with it. No idea why Corvette owners continue to purchase these things.

Buy yourself a nice set of track pads and rotors that you keep in a box in your garage, and swap them on in an hour or so when you prep the car for the track. I suggest Carbotech XP10 or XP12 for the front and XP 8 for the rear. Alternatively you can purchase the Powerstop Track day pads as a lower cost alternative. I suggest DBA T2 for the rotors. An excellent combination for a track pad that will hold up just fine for a novice/intermediate driver. After your track day then simply remove them and put back on your street pads/rotors. Any normal, sane person will follow this very simple procedure, that protects you and others on the street and the track and ultimately saves you money over the long term as you aren't burning through street pads/rotors in a day at the track. Nor are you compromising the braking system on the track by using **** parts. Nor are you spitting corrosive dust all over your car using a soft, compromised, squealing pig of a pad on the street.

And for the street, stick with stock rotors and buy yourself a set of nice, low-cost, low-dust street pads like the Powerstop Z26. Around $150 for the whole set. Or if you have money to burn then Carbotech 1521 for the street.

This entire combination will last you a long, long, long time and you won't waste time worrying about these things - which will free up your time for "all of your other projects". And you will have an optimal setup for each scenario, instead of a compromised setup in all scenarios. You aren't saving money or time with your current arrangement.
Great advice. I would suggest Raybesto ST45 for track use. Excellent wear and stopping power and cheaper than most track pads.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:26 PM
jkg2101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed new carbotech xp8 track pads (mildest track pad) at all 4 corners. I have only driven them a few miles, to bed the pads, but the initial bite and stopping power is SO MUCH better than the Hawk HPS I installed a month or two ago.
In defense of the Hawk pads, maybe they were "cooked" by a total of 4 25 minute sessions on track? I don't think I drive that hard, but...

Either the pads were cooked/glazed at the track, or they are just no good. I did think they were OK for the few miles before the first track outing.

Anyway, looking forward to driving with these new pads in place.

I am a pretty good mechanic. Changing the brake pads is a bit of a challenge, mostly just getting the caliper pistons to go back in enough to fit new, thicker pads. I found it best to remove the calipers, as others have suggested, rather than just trying to remove the pins, since it is hard to get the pistons to retract without some kind of clamp.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:27 PM
jkg2101
Racer

the hawk pads i took off have a mirror-like shine to the business side of the pads- maybe that is normal, or maybe that means they are glazed over.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:27 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

For very little $ you can get squeeze clamps at Loewes or Harbor Freight that makes it easy to get the pistons to retract. Those clamps have plastic faces so do not mark up your calipers.

Most of the time except for with brand new pads, i find iI can just use a pair of channel lock pliers to retract the single pads before I take the calipers off. I use some thin cardboard to protect the caliper paint and just clamp to the ears on the pads.

Originally Posted by jkg2101
I am a pretty good mechanic. Changing the brake pads is a bit of a challenge, mostly just getting the caliper pistons to go back in enough to fit new, thicker pads. I found it best to remove the calipers, as others have suggested, rather than just trying to remove the pins, since it is hard to get the pistons to retract without some kind of clamp.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:46 AM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 263 Posts

thanks everyone for advice

i went with stock GM OEM rotors - because I am pretty sure they are not made in china. The price is fair for the quality, and many of my trackmates run them on the track. i dont race at a high level. my car is stock

I run probably twice a year at lime rock, and the rest is street. i dont like the feel of these pads for the street, but I am not sure if they are just cooked/glazed, or if this is just how they operate.

I am not an experienced track driver, but I did not love their performance when braking on the front straight from about 130 to about 60 MPH. I expected a bit more, but I dont have the experience to know if they were good or bad.

I previously ran the stock pads and they were fine, but i drove slower last year

I would prefer not to swap pads for the occasional track day because:
1. i have so many other project to do that time is tight
2. I secretly worry that one of those fancy torx head bolts that hold the pads in is going to strip one day, given how tight they are when I remove them

If anyone has any suggestion for a really good pad, and padlets vs solid one piece pad, I am all ears. The stock pads, despite their reputation in some circles, actually were quite good all around

justin
I went with the Power Stop Z26 Extreme Performance Carbon-Ceramic. These work great! stop just as good as stock if not better. Almost no brake dust. I can't say how they are on the track, I only use on the street. I had the front and rears shipped to my door for $150.00
Old 06-18-2018, 12:31 PM
390amx1
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Z26 on all of my cars and agree with the positive comments. More than satisfied for the street....
Old 06-19-2018, 02:08 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

I installed new carbotech xp8 track pads (mildest track pad) at all 4 corners. I have only driven them a few miles, to bed the pads, but the initial bite and stopping power is SO MUCH better than the Hawk HPS I installed a month or two ago.
In defense of the Hawk pads, maybe they were "cooked" by a total of 4 25 minute sessions on track? I don't think I drive that hard, but...

Either the pads were cooked/glazed at the track, or they are just no good. I did think they were OK for the few miles before the first track outing.

Anyway, looking forward to driving with these new pads in place.

You are comparing street pads to track pads. Not fair to Hawk at all.

Get a DTC70 or XP20/24 on there and then call in

The decel rate from race pads is as addictive as the accel from HP.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:26 AM
jkg2101
Racer

Fair enough. I don't want to bad mouth hawk. But I am comparing on the street. I think the hps pads may have been ruined by a day at the track
Old 06-21-2018, 10:28 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Fair enough. I don't want to bad mouth hawk. But I am comparing on the street. I think the hps pads may have been ruined by a day at the track
Don't worry - Hawk gets beat up on the regular and while not always their fault sometimes it is.

Quick Reply: question on new brake pads