Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Need help/service Active Handling and ABS

Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

OP, if you have the service messages showing on the DIC you will have codes. You just aren't using a code reader that can see them. Stop by an autoparts store that can scan your car with a code reader that reads ABS codes. The fact you have 3 service messages showing: ABS, TC and AH means the failure is common to all 3 functions of the ABS. That means a wheel speed sensor, EBCM, Brake Pressure Modulator Valve, etc.

You won't get anywhere until you know what the codes are. Also the car isn't that susceptible to voltage levels that you would get those kinds of messages consistently. If you think it is voltage related go for a 30 mile round trip ride on a highway at 65 mph and charge the battery. Turn off the engine, restart and see if the messages go away. If it is voltage related that should provide sufficient voltage.

However, since you have all 3 functions failing I think it is more than likely some part that is common to all 3 functions.

These codes will cause all 3 functions to fail:

DTC C0035 00: Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit

DTC C0035 5A: Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Plausibility Failure

DTC C0040 00: Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit

DTC C0040 5A: Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Plausibility Failure

DTC C0045 00: Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit

DTC C0045 5A: Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Plausibility Failure

DTC C0050 00: Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit

DTC C0050 5A: Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Plausibility Failure

DTC C0110 00: Pump Motor Circuit

DTC C0131 00: ABS Pressure Circuit (Brake Pressure Sensor inside BPMV and when failing requires replacement of both the BPMV and the ECBM)

DTC C0161 00: Antilock Brake System (ABS) Brake Switch Circuit (this can be set if the brake pedal is pressed while accelerating. stuck or misadjusted switch could cause same issue)

DTC C0186 00: Lateral Accelerometer Circuit

DTC C0186 5A: Lateral Accelerometer Circuit Plausibility Failure

DTC C0196 00: Yaw Rate Circuit

DTC C0196 5A: Yaw Rate Circuit Plausibility Failure

DTC C0245 00: Wheel Speed Sensor Frequency

DTC C0252 00: VSES Sensors Uncorrelated

DTC C0569 00: System Configuration Error

These are all ABS codes and an ABS code reader is required. OBDII code readers can only read power train codes which are about 55% of the codes that can be initiated by the on board diagnostic system.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-13-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:03 AM
Aforst
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Blue driver obd2 scanner $100 bucks will read ebcm abs codes etc. Works well. I would ageee with previous replies about battery voltage grounds and plug wires to check as well.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:11 AM
dbhajek
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
OP, if you have the service messages showing on the DIC you will have codes. You just aren't using a code reader that can see them. Stop by an autoparts store that can scan your car with a code reader that reads ABS codes. The fact you have 3 service messages showing: ABS, TC and AH means the failure is common to all 3 functions of the ABS. That means a wheel speed sensor, EBCM, Brake Pressure Modulator Valve, etc.

You won't get anywhere until you know what the codes are. Also the car isn't that susceptible to voltage levels that you would get those kinds of messages consistently. If you think it is voltage related go for a 30 mile round trip ride on a highway at 65 mph and charge the battery. Turn off the engine, restart and see if the messages go away. If it is voltage related that should provide sufficient voltage.

However, since you have all 3 functions failing I think it is more than likely some part that is common to all 3 functions.

DTC C0131 00: ABS Pressure Circuit (Brake Pressure Sensor inside BPMV and when failing requires replacement of both the BPMV and the ECBM)

DTC C0161 00: Antilock Brake System (ABS) Brake Switch Circuit (this can be set if the brake pedal is pressed while accelerating. stuck or misadjusted switch could cause same issue)

These are all ABS codes and an ABS code reader is required. OBDII code readers can only read power train codes which are about 55% of the codes that can be initiated by the on board diagnostic system.

Bill
Old 06-18-2018, 07:12 AM
dbhajek
Pro

Thanks for the tip on the bluedriver. Just ordered one.

Originally Posted by Aforst
Blue driver obd2 scanner $100 bucks will read ebcm abs codes etc. Works well. I would ageee with previous replies about battery voltage grounds and plug wires to check as well.
The following users liked this post:
Aforst (06-29-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:59 PM
dbhajek
Pro

The Bluedriver worked great, it was a C0035 Code. Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:33 PM
dbhajek
Pro

Can someone double check me on the part number for front left Wheel hub. GM 22804376

Thanks
Bud
Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 PM
Aforst
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbhajek
Can someone double check me on the part number for front left Wheel hub. GM 22804376

Thanks
Bud
You might want to unplug the sensor and clean the contacts before ordering a new one.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:08 PM
dbhajek
Pro

You might want to unplug the sensor and clean the contacts before ordering a new one.
Thanks, I will give that a try.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:30 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 380 Likes on 280 Posts

If I remember correctly there was some kind of recall on C6 wheel sensors. It had to do with adding a ground wire to the sensors. Might want to check with local dealer.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Service Active Handling Only

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Bill, do you have a list like this for people who have the "Service Active Handling" message only? This message has popped up on my 2008 Z06. At the time I was on track and running with all of the nannies turned on. I could feel the ABS pulsing during heavy braking. At some point during the run the "Service Active Handling" appeared as did the dash indicator light which comes on in Competitive Driving Mode. I brought the car in as soon as I noticed the message. It was possible to turn the message off with the reset button, but the indicator light showing the Corvette leaving tracks stays on whenever the ignition is on. When the ignition is switched off, then back on, the service message returns. Using the console button, I can only now select Traction Control Off or Traction control On.

The car seems to drive fine as is, but I would like to have my Competition Mode back. Here is what I have checked so far:
I took me car to the auto parts store and they did a load test on my 5 year old Duralast battery. They said the battery is 100% good. They brought out an OBD reader which they said can read ABS codes, and it showed that the car has not thrown any codes. I drove the car home and removed the positive lead from the battery for 10 seconds. The service message was there upon reinstallation of the lead and restarting the engine.

Dou you have a list of possible faults like you provided in your attached posting which would be for the "Service Active Handling" message. Since I have no Service ABS message, I am guessing that my wheel speed sensors are fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Need help/service Active Handling and ABS