Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help with pfadt alignment specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:12 AM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Help with pfadt alignment specs

So the shop that I plan to take C6Z to get aligned wants to know from the pfadt street performance with street tires specs what the toe is in degrees not inches and if that is total toe or per side. Here is the link to the pfadt specs: http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf

Thanks!

Last edited by 03Zcrit; 06-20-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:38 AM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

Morning bump for help :-)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

My alignment machine reads in degrees too, and it's a hassle to change into inches...
I set mine with ~ .05* toe in F, .15* toe in R. (each) I think 0 F toe is still within factory spec.
There's been some debate whether Pfadt's toe recommendations are toe out or toe in.
Normal (every brand I've ever seen!) aligners read toe out as - and toe in as +, but Pfadt shows - readings F and R. Typical track alignments use a smidgen of toe OUT at the front, for better turn in, but toe IN at the rear for stability.
If the car isn't tracked exclusively, but also street driven, I'd avoid toe out in the front. Tires are pretty tolerant of the extra negative camber, but not so much with the toe out. The minor improvement in turn in at the track will be accompanied by a major reduction in tire life.
I'd avoid toe out in the rear on a C6. It might make your track day more exciting than you want!

Last edited by Nowanker; 06-20-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:14 AM
polyol
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, negative camber within reason does not destroy tires. Excessive toe (specifically when combined with negative camber) will absolutely destroy tires.

A little bit of toe will not wear tires too much, certainly the amount you prescribe (1/16") wont shred them too bad.

I would say when in doubt go with 0 toe to be safe...that said a little bit of toe in the proper amounts can give an advantage, but for the most part bad driving will hurt lap times 10X compared to an alignment.

JMO.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:58 AM
polyol
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe you can convert degrees to inches.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:18 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

There are charts published.
Measuring toe in inches is inherently inaccurate, due to differences in tire diameters...
1/16 or 1/8 just sort of shows a 'trend' (imo...)
Old 06-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by polyol

I would say when in doubt go with 0 toe to be safe...that said a little bit of toe in the proper amounts can give an advantage, but for the most part bad driving will hurt lap times 10X compared to an alignment.

Well said!
Old 06-20-2018, 12:30 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

https://robrobinette.com/ConvertToeInchesToDegrees.htm
Old 06-20-2018, 05:21 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 638 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
My alignment machine reads in degrees too, and it's a hassle to change into inches...
I set mine with ~ .05* toe in F, .15* toe in R. (each) I think 0 F toe is still within factory spec.
There's been some debate whether Pfadt's toe recommendations are toe out or toe in.
Normal (every brand I've ever seen!) aligners read toe out as - and toe in as +, but Pfadt shows - readings F and R. Typical track alignments use a smidgen of toe OUT at the front, for better turn in, but toe IN at the rear for stability.
If the car isn't tracked exclusively, but also street driven, I'd avoid toe out in the front. Tires are pretty tolerant of the extra negative camber, but not so much with the toe out. The minor improvement in turn in at the track will be accompanied by a major reduction in tire life.
I'd avoid toe out in the rear on a C6. It might make your track day more exciting than you want!
Agreed. A UK customer called in a short time ago ready to get rid of his c6Z because it was all over the road. He was running pfadt alignment, toe out F & R with almost no camber so the car would follow the slant of the road and when corrected would have a tilt a whirl effect making it difficult to manage. Gave him our alignment spec toe out front, toe in rear and that resolved the issue.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:39 AM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

The plan for the car is autocross, canyon carving and maybe a HPDE or two on sticky street tires. Going off Nowanker's recommendation for toe settings and Pfadt's performance street settings I will be telling the shop tomorrow to shoot for these numbers:

Front Camber (degrees): -1.3

Front Caster (degrees): 8.5

Front Total Toe (degrees): .05 TOE IN (.025 per side)

Rear Camber (degrees): -0.9

Rear Total Toe (degrees): .15 TOE IN (.075 per side)

Last edited by 03Zcrit; 06-21-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with pfadt alignment specs

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help with pfadt alignment specs