Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 pulley change questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:30 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default ZR1 pulley change questions

Im thinking of dropping from stock to the Lingenfelter 2.6 pulley. In my scans, I stay mostly under 9 lbs of boost ( More towards 8.5LBs), so with their pulley Id be about 12 or 13 pounds. Has anyone had issues with the 2.6 pulley and how much HP and boost did you gain?

Im also adding 1 7/8 headers high flow cats, X-pipe with 3 inch pipes to the stock exhaust where I have the mild to wild switch.

Im only interested from guys that have dropped to the 2.6 pulley because im not going smaller than that.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

I got around 13.7 psi with the 2.6 according to HPT scan. otherwise all stock, on a cooler day (50's). I felt a jerk at high rpms, came to find out, the stock belt with 22k miles (and lots of hpde) would slip at 4500 rpms and drop boost to 10...felt like I'd hit my breaks a little...I to have no dyno number but on a 640hp car, to fell that, my experience tells me it's adding about 40 whp (or in my case dropping it lol). Researching it, the 2.6 tuned gives about that much, and little more if you go with the LPE snout. With headers you will probably drop 1-2 psi boost (which you would as well if you didn't pulley up)
The following users liked this post:
phils C5 vette (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:20 PM
ZR1PWR
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the 2.6 LPE Pulley compare to the Griptec 2.55 that Kong sells now?
Any slipping with the 2.6 LPE? I have the LPE Kong race ported snout.

Last edited by ZR1PWR; 06-21-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:49 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mirage2991
I got around 13.7 psi with the 2.6 according to HPT scan. otherwise all stock, on a cooler day (50's). I felt a jerk at high rpms, came to find out, the stock belt with 22k miles (and lots of hpde) would slip at 4500 rpms and drop boost to 10...felt like I'd hit my breaks a little...I to have no dyno number but on a 640hp car, to fell that, my experience tells me it's adding about 40 whp (or in my case dropping it lol). Researching it, the 2.6 tuned gives about that much, and little more if you go with the LPE snout. With headers you will probably drop 1-2 psi boost (which you would as well if you didn't pulley up)
Thank you for staying focused on my questions.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Hockyz
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The 2.6 pulley works great. Make sure you get proper tuning and pay attention to the injector duty cycle so that you don’t run out.

I have ave a stock snout with the LPE hub ready to bolt on a 2.6 that I can sell if you’re not interested in dealing with pulling off the stock pulley, grinding the snout, and having someone press on the lpe hub. Pm me if you have any interest.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:39 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hockyz
The 2.6 pulley works great. Make sure you get proper tuning and pay attention to the injector duty cycle so that you don’t run out.

I have ave a stock snout with the LPE hub ready to bolt on a 2.6 that I can sell if you’re not interested in dealing with pulling off the stock pulley, grinding the snout, and having someone press on the lpe hub. Pm me if you have any interest.
just a side note, you don't have to grind the snout for the 2.6, only if you plan on going smaller... and +1 on the spare snout, I did just that, bought an extra one, and sold my stock one to save down time and a little insurance in case I messed up, but there isn't much to go wrong...did managed to bend the stock pulley while pulling it (granted I used a gear puller )
Old 06-21-2018, 05:43 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
Thank you for staying focused on my questions.
PM me if you want a copy of my tune, I don't mind sharing.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:29 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hockyz

Im at 78% percent duty cycle with just the tune. I have a set of FIC 850 injectors I plan to add. My supercharger has a rattle so I have an opportunity to have it replaced, so I figure that's a good time to add the smaller pulley, headers and injectors.

Im really not interested in doing more to the car after the pulley, headers, and intake. I might have the stock snout ported, but Im not interested in buying an aftermarket snout.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:56 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mirage2991
so how did you fix the belt slip ? did you run the stock size belt?

this is what im looking at https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...E#.WzmSfZW0U5s

Im interested if guys were getting belt slip with only the 2.6 kit and how it was resolved .

I may have the snout ported while off, but im not looking to switch snouts to aftermarket. Im ok not going all out on this car. Just a couple modes for weekend driving.
ccryder (07-02-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:28 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

new stock belt fixed it
Old 07-03-2018, 03:54 PM
AHP
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

Im at 78% percent duty cycle with just the tune. I have a set of FIC 850 injectors I plan to add. My supercharger has a rattle so I have an opportunity to have it replaced, so I figure that's a good time to add the smaller pulley, headers and injectors.

Im really not interested in doing more to the car after the pulley, headers, and intake. I might have the stock snout ported, but Im not interested in buying an aftermarket snout.

My IDC is in that range with a tune and no cats as well. What IDC's are people seeing with the 2.6" pulley? Does the fuel pump ECM compensate with more fuel pressure to keep the IDC's in check? Seems a lot of people run stock injectors with the 2.6 pulley.

I'm installing and dynoing the LPE 710 on my car tomorrow, so guess I'll have these answers for my self...!
Old 07-03-2018, 05:48 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Default FIC Injectors

I picked up a set of FIC 850 injectors to keep up with the extra fuel requirement. When I did the math at my current duty cycle, I calculated in the new pulley, I came up with about 93% duty cycle with my stock injectors. So Ill switch them out when the pulley is done. Im not going to be adding additional mods after the headers and pulley, so these injectors will be plenty.

Last edited by phils C5 vette; 07-03-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:01 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AHP
My IDC is in that range with a tune and no cats as well. What IDC's are people seeing with the 2.6" pulley? Does the fuel pump ECM compensate with more fuel pressure to keep the IDC's in check? Seems a lot of people run stock injectors with the 2.6 pulley.

I'm installing and dynoing the LPE 710 on my car tomorrow, so guess I'll have these answers for my self...!
How did your 710 package come out. I talked to LPE this morning and they are out of 2.6 kits. They said with intake and 2.6 kit, larger injectors aren't needed. LPE wont have the 2.6 kit ready for a couple weeks. :-(

Last edited by phils C5 vette; 07-09-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:23 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

I know this is old Phil, but what did you end up doing and how did it turn out? Thanks for any input
Old 08-15-2020, 09:23 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

I bought the 2.6 pulley kit around this thread time but havent installed that. Last month I bought a 2.6 pulley already pressed on a stock snout and plan to have that snout ported and installed with the pulley that came with it. Sadly, I've driven the car about 1600 Miles since this thread, and just dont have time for the car but a weekend cruise here and there.

I did catch myself looking at the hellcat Redeye again recently, and that's never a good thing for me lol

I pretty much only installed the K&N intake, ARH 1 7/8 , tuned it, and added 1600 miles in two years.

Last edited by phils C5 vette; 08-15-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:39 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I bought the 2.6 pulley kit around this thread time but havent installed that. Last month I bought a 2.6 pulley already pressed on a stock snout and plan to have that snout ported and installed with the pulley that came with it. Sadly, I've driven the car about 1600 Miles since this thread, and just dont have time for the car but a weekend cruise here and there.

I did catch myself looking at the hellcat Redeye again recently, and that's never a good thing for me lol

I pretty much only installed the K&N intake, ARH 1 7/8 , tuned it, and added 1600 miles in two years.
Phil!! Don't you DARE consider selling the ZR1... Like you, i don't drive mine much... In the 18 mo i have owned mine i have put 2K miles on it. That being said, when i do drive it, it puts a smile on my face and reinforces why i bought it in the first place. Do those mods Phil, you'll fall in love with the car all over again. I love mine so much i picked up another Corvette to keep it company. I should have it Friday.... Like the ZR1, it won't get driven too much either... lol But it sure will look good sitting in the garage.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXGS507:
phils C5 vette (08-16-2020), reasonable suspicion (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:59 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the reply. I’m planning..

kong bricks
2.6 Lingenfelter on stock snout
blue filter
gutted cats
idler
solid isolator
injectors if I need
simple/modest mod list.

so was wondering what power you made since it sounded kind of like what I was planning...also if it made the supercharger a lot louder?

I currently own two challengers, both since new and there’s no way I’d give up my Zr1 for a redeye...even a redeye super sport. Unless you just plan on adding the redeye SS, no way!

I contacted a guy on here about a stock snout for sale...any idea what a fair price is?

Last edited by reasonable suspicion; 08-16-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 pulley change questions

Old 08-16-2020, 02:53 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

The snout was $350 shipped with the 2.6 pulley on it from CBMZR1. It also had the adapter hub already pressed on if I wanted to drop another pulley size I wouldnt have to pull the blower again.

Ive worked on a lot of ZL1 camaro's that were racing with upper and lower pulleys changes for between 15-20 pounds of boost. I haven't seen a melted brick. most ran hot from lack of intercooler fluid. Ive seen more melted cats for sure. I dont want to get into a debate, but for my extra 3-4 pounds of boost, I can see adding the Kong tanks for addition fluid capacity, but that's about.

Im not saying the bricks arent a bad thing to do at all, I just think for my driving and how often I drive the car, im going for extra cooling capacity.

I had a friend reach out for me last week with a ZR1 in a local shop in St. Pete for heads, cam, 2.45 upper and 10% lower pulley, headers, intake, injectors bricks and a tune. The car's been there a month already so im sure he's getting antsy.

I asked him why he didn't go with additional cooling mods because his IAT2 are going to sky rocket up after he tips into boost and the IATs are going to interfer. He said the shop said the brick were enough and didnt recommend additional cooling capacity. I told him he's FK'd lol

He ended up listening and bought the kong tanks. I told him he'll probably need a larger heat exchanger, but he said he's out of the budget. He's probably better off selling his heads and buy more cooling modifications to address the additional boost he'll be kicking up.

Last edited by phils C5 vette; 08-16-2020 at 03:23 PM.
reasonable suspicion (08-16-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 01:25 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Don't do it. Seriously. You may regret it. I had the opportunity to drive my buddy's Hellcat, and there is absolutely no comparison to my ZR1. It felt sluggish and heavy, not to mention the clutch pedal pressure reminded me of my Z06 when the return spring broke. The Challenger is definitely the quintessential muscle car whereas the ZR1 has finesses and refinement far above anything the Hellcat has to offer (not to mention traction). Of course, that's my opinion. I came from the Pony Car era with my Trans Am, and to me going to a Hellcat would be a step backwards. My buddy loves it because he also had a Trans Am when I had mine, but he has never owned a Vette, so he has nothing with which to compare even though he's driven my ZR1.

To each his own, of course.

2010 ZR1 3ZR with 2018 Challenger Hellcat
Old 08-17-2020, 09:09 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EViL427
Don't do it. Seriously. You may regret it. I had the opportunity to drive my buddy's Hellcat, and there is absolutely no comparison to my ZR1. It felt sluggish and heavy, not to mention the clutch pedal pressure reminded me of my Z06 when the return spring broke. The Challenger is definitely the quintessential muscle car whereas the ZR1 has finesses and refinement far above anything the Hellcat has to offer (not to mention traction). Of course, that's my opinion. I came from the Pony Car era with my Trans Am, and to me going to a Hellcat would be a step backwards. My buddy loves it because he also had a Trans Am when I had mine, but he has never owned a Vette, so he has nothing with which to compare even though he's driven my ZR1.

To each his own, of course.
The auto is an absolute must with a hellcat, no exceptions. No comparison and I’m sure you would have been somewhat more impressed...however I do agree with you.

hellcat are literally everywhere, that in itself is reason enough not to switch.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 pulley change questions