Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Another (almost) 650 RWHP Mamo Motorsports LS7 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 02:40 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Default Another (almost) 650 RWHP Mamo Motorsports LS7 build

And another 3rd party independent dyno record set on Tick Performance's dyno where this build was ultimately tuned and tested

This is the highest SBE that they have ever rolled on their dyno (per my customer). For the guys who have been following the results from my LS7 gear the last year or two, this build marks the 14th time this has happened that I know about.

And I can only imagine how many cars have rolled on this dyno knowing how popular Tick Performance is....they must have tested ALOT of different combinations making this feat that much more significant at this particular shop.

Absolutely beautiful power and torque curve.....the lower curve is 93 pump gas.....the stronger curve is E60. This is also another example of an MMS LS7 combo that carries a 100 more peak HP than peak TQ which is very impressive (the more your familiar with the mathematics behind the numbers the more you will appreciate that fact).

Per my customers quick email earlier today....

Hey brother!! The car is an absolute beast still! pulls like a train. everyone thinks it has a procharger on it too haha.

What's even more interesting is this dyno result is still on the stock (heavy!) OEM LS7 clutch and is only running 1.875 headers as well. Both of those mods are worth real power on a build like this....even one of them would have put this build well over the 650 mark....if both were installed (a lighter clutch and the larger headers) it would have easily cleared 660 (on this particular dyno at least).

This build has 12.5 to 1 static compression and is running my MMS 3.8X cam (247 @ .050 on the intake.....same cam Jay Fabs just knocked down 655 RWHP with a couple weeks ago). In fact this build is very similar to Jacob's.....same compression and similar modifications to my MMS 265 heads.

Im sure Josh (the owner) will chime in at some point.....I dont have alot of time now but wanted to get this posted up as more proof to the few naysayers still left out there of exactly the type of potential my LS7 combinations have to offer.

Are these budget builds? Of course not

Do you get what you pay for? This result I just shared is just another proof positive that you do and in fact I would make a strong argument that my builds, while potentially costing more than reworking stock heads or buying budget LS7 gear from other vendors, offer you alot more "value" when its all said and done.

Like most of your more expensive purchases in life....most of the time if your willing to spend a little more the potential is there for you to get ALOT more and that is the true meaning of value. In the end this hobby is a disease.....its better to spend a little more the first time than spending alot more the 2nd and 3rd time when your chasing what you may have left on the table the first time in an effort to save money. If you have been modding cars long enough, most of you already know how true that statement is.

Guys if any of you are considering having me help you with a combination feel free to PM, call or email me....Im usually pretty quick at getting back to everyone and try to make myself as available as I can to help you both during and after the sale.

Josh, I enjoyed working with you......a big congrats on the build.....enjoy the car and if you have anything noteworthy to add to this thread by all means hop in here and share!

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 07-02-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:01 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Was this recent? I saw a couple of weeks ago they had one of your setups on a dyno. That one made 620ish rwhp.

Tick is a good shop, I run a Tick cam. They made 600 rwhp on their dyno with a similar setup as mine currently.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:40 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Innovate
Was this recent? I saw a couple of weeks ago they had one of your setups on a dyno. That one made 620ish rwhp.

Tick is a good shop, I run a Tick cam. They made 600 rwhp on their dyno with a similar setup as mine currently.
Check out the dyno graph.....looks like it was tested on May 30th, so about a month or so ago.

To be honest I just found out about the results recently or I would have shared the info with you guys sooner (good news tends to travel slow.....LOL).

Perhaps it was the same car on the 93 octane tune before they finished tweaking and perfecting it?

Im sure the owner will pop in here at some point and say hello.....you can inquire about the color of the car etc. to get a better idea

So you being somewhat familiar with this dyno, is it safe to assume even 600 RWHP is a fairly stout number on it?

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 07-02-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Check out the dyno graph.....looks like it was tested on May 30th, so about a month or so ago

Perhaps it was this car on the 93 octane tune before they finished tweaking and perfecting it?

Im sure the owner will pop in here at some point and say hello.....you can inquire about the color of the car etc.

-Tony
Ok, may of been before they were finished. I watched the first pull and flipped it off because I knew it was going to make good power. It was a Silver one, that may of been it. Interested to see what the owner says.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

I know he is happy! It pulls like a train and doesn’t stop 🛑
Old 07-02-2018, 09:58 AM
jmann0501
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is the silver one. Jonathan and the Guys at Tick did an outstanding job with the tune and install. For how aggressive the cam is, Jonathan’s hard work makes it drive very well. The guys at Tick took great care of me and I appreciate the help with questions I’ve had post build with tuning etc...Jonathan is definitely a great tuner willing to share his knowledge!

that graph Tony posted is a comparison of pump and then e85 blend. That car does pull like a beast and once I get some tires this week, hope to get some track times in.

I was overseas seas when I decided to build the car. I called Tony up at like 1 am his time and we spec’d everything out. Customer service was exceptional and was there for emails and calls any time I needed. Tony it has been great working with you and I appreciate everything!

I couldn’t be happier with the results! Again, thanks Tony on some awesome parts! And thanks Tick Performance on the install and tune!! All of you guys rock!!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

This build runs 93 octane at 12.5 CR ? I didn't think this was possible or suggested.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:29 AM
jmann0501
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet C6
This build runs 93 octane at 12.5 CR ? I didn't think this was possible or suggested.
that was just from an initial pull with timing pulled out on pump gas. It still happened to make that power. It runs e50 blend all the time and e85 at times.
The following users liked this post:
Silver Bullet C6 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 11:04 AM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

My MMS LS7 combo runs 12.4 compression on 93 octane pump fuel, and the shop who tuned the car said it was safe to beat on with pump fuel. It makes over 600 on pump as well, but really makes great power on E85 blends.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:47 PM
Che70velle
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

I’m at 12.42:1 on 93 pump.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Che70velle
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Awesome numbers as always Tony!
Old 07-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

Congrats OP & Tony Excellent Results!
Old 07-03-2018, 01:56 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Good point....honestly it wouldn't be possible with stock heads (to many sharp edges in the chambers) and it would still be risky with ported OEM heads and even aftermarket CNC heads for similar reasons.

Check out the chambers of my MMS 265 heads though for comparison.....fully CNC'ed and then hand finished.....not a sharp edge to be found.....the chamber "softened" everywhere allowing it to tolerate more ignition lead and not be as prone to detonation. This process is included in the purchase price of my heads....its not an additional cost option.

There are a few other reasons my builds will tolerate more static compression also....one of them is I always optimize the quench distance on most of my customers builds (at least the ones that follow my guidance and advice....LOL)

The other less obvious reason is my cylinder head designs are typically very efficient and have exceptional airspeed which does numerous good things to help the outcome of the build in a very positive way. One of them helping to reduce puddling and better atomize the fuel prior to lighting off. The higher airspeed and additional charge inertia is a big reason why torque and horsepower output is typically higher as well. Its not just about total CFM guys.....its about airspeed and total CFM.

In fact I have been to many a dyno test (back when I was handling all of AFR's design and product development) and alot of my port designs were smaller in volume than my competitors but they typically flowed the same if not more. The outcome of that in independent testing was not only did we make more torque at the time but the smaller port still mustered more peak power as well which was contrary to some schools of thought regarding cylinder head design. In fact many years ago I decided to send an oval port BBC head to a rectangular port head test shootout that Richard Holdener orchestrated at the time. The owner of AFR was shall I say very skeptical of my choice to send them the new oval port I recently designed with the analogy that I was bringing a knife to a gunfight....LOL While I did enjoy that analogy I felt differently about it and assured him we would still fare well in the test and have the chance to (hopefully) show that a well designed oval port could still be competitive (to be honest I was hoping to be in the top three when the smoke from the dyno cleared). Also my response to his knife to a gunfight was that everyone would expect us to lose anyway so we couldn't really come up with too much egg on our face....LOL

As fate would have it that test turned out even better than I had hoped and we ended up taking first place in both torque and HP in that particular shootout and it really made for a good story at the time for all involved (needless to say Rick at AFR was especially relieved and pleased!)

This is a true story that I share with you guys to make a point that there are alot of different facets of cylinder head design to consider....all of which that can come into play and effect the end results (aka your dyno numbers and the shape of your power and torque curve). Judging the effectiveness of a cylinder head purely by looking at peak flow numbers doesnt even represent half of the real picture....there is alot more involved.

And hey....what do you know....turns out a little Googling allowed me to locate that BBC shootout I referenced above.....looks like Super Chevy covered the story back in 2012!

Its a good technical read if any of you have an interest and it highlights all the flow numbers from all the various heads tested and the final power and torque figures as well (eight sets were tested in total)

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/pro...ut-the-o-vs-r/

Good stuff

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 07-03-2018 at 03:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Silver Bullet C6 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 05:18 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I’m at 12.42:1 on 93 pump.
I hope you have 10degrees of timing at wot and no detenation I wouldn't be boasting about that time bomb 💣 Texas heat you wouldn't survive 1week.....then you have to worry about bad batch of gas we all know gas is not always good.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:51 AM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Crazy numbers! Anybody know what stock C6Zs typically put down on that dyno though?
Old 07-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
I hope you have 10degrees of timing at wot and no detenation I wouldn't be boasting about that time bomb �� Texas heat you wouldn't survive 1week.....then you have to worry about bad batch of gas we all know gas is not always good.
Clearly the guys running aggressive flex fuel set ups are not getting aggressive with the pump gas tune up.....there is no need to

It's a much safer, much more conservative tune (alot less timing and more fuel) but you would be surprised what you can get away with when you pay attention to all the details of the combination.....pretty much the point I was trying to make in my previous post.

Also if your not going to get after the static compression some it doesnt make much sense to invest in the flex fuel set-up to begin with in an N/A combination

Some of this is common sense....I think most of my flex fuel customers with set ups like these are smart enough not to go road racing on their 93 octane tune on a 100 degree day in Houston....not to mention we have discussed these types of things in advance when we were initially consulting about the build prior to actually kicking off the project.

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 07-03-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:19 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by furiousox
Crazy numbers! Anybody know what stock C6Zs typically put down on that dyno though?
They have a car with my same cam with unmilled heads (I think) and smaller primaries than I that made 600 rwhp SAE on their dyno. He also has the NW102 and I have stock ported. I made 572 SAE at Nemesis Racing, granted I am a little conservatively tuned and the other car dyno’d with a Halltech.

Get notified of new replies

To Another (almost) 650 RWHP Mamo Motorsports LS7 build

Old 07-14-2018, 05:56 AM
Vox Machina
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 52 Posts

Damn! Another killer Mamo LS7 build. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these someday.

Congrats!! Setting a record on a dyno as popular as Tick's speaks volumes to the time and effort that went into the motor. How's the car to drive? What's the power delivery like?

The guys over at Tick are good people. I've bought a fair number of things from them over the years and they've always been incredibly helpful, even when I'm calling them just before closing with some no-brainer questions lol.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:39 AM
jmann0501
5th Gear

Originally Posted by p8ntballsniper87
Damn! Another killer Mamo LS7 build. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these someday.

Congrats!! Setting a record on a dyno as popular as Tick's speaks volumes to the time and effort that went into the motor. How's the car to drive? What's the power delivery like?

The guys over at Tick are good people. I've bought a fair number of things from them over the years and they've always been incredibly helpful, even when I'm calling them just before closing with some no-brainer questions lol.
the car drives great and the power comes on at every rpm. It def pulls harder up to high rpm. In fact, you can’t really tell it has as big of a cam as it does until you lay into the throttle and it pulls like a train—Jonathan did an outstanding job tuning it for drivability and power.

I am am very pleased with Tony and the results—smart guy and so easy to work with. And Tick did a stand up job helping with the install. They are going to be doing my trans upgrade in the near future.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:22 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Good point....honestly it wouldn't be possible with stock heads (to many sharp edges in the chambers) and it would still be risky with ported OEM heads and even aftermarket CNC heads for similar reasons.

Check out the chambers of my MMS 265 heads though for comparison.....fully CNC'ed and then hand finished.....not a sharp edge to be found.....the chamber "softened" everywhere allowing it to tolerate more ignition lead and not be as prone to detonation. This process is included in the purchase price of my heads....its not an additional cost option.

There are a few other reasons my builds will tolerate more static compression also....one of them is I always optimize the quench distance on most of my customers builds (at least the ones that follow my guidance and advice....LOL)

The other less obvious reason is my cylinder head designs are typically very efficient and have exceptional airspeed which does numerous good things to help the outcome of the build in a very positive way. One of them helping to reduce puddling and better atomize the fuel prior to lighting off. The higher airspeed and additional charge inertia is a big reason why torque and horsepower output is typically higher as well. Its not just about total CFM guys.....its about airspeed and total CFM.

In fact I have been to many a dyno test (back when I was handling all of AFR's design and product development) and alot of my port designs were smaller in volume than my competitors but they typically flowed the same if not more. The outcome of that in independent testing was not only did we make more torque at the time but the smaller port still mustered more peak power as well which was contrary to some schools of thought regarding cylinder head design. In fact many years ago I decided to send an oval port BBC head to a rectangular port head test shootout that Richard Holdener orchestrated at the time. The owner of AFR was shall I say very skeptical of my choice to send them the new oval port I recently designed with the analogy that I was bringing a knife to a gunfight....LOL While I did enjoy that analogy I felt differently about it and assured him we would still fare well in the test and have the chance to (hopefully) show that a well designed oval port could still be competitive (to be honest I was hoping to be in the top three when the smoke from the dyno cleared). Also my response to his knife to a gunfight was that everyone would expect us to lose anyway so we couldn't really come up with too much egg on our face....LOL

As fate would have it that test turned out even better than I had hoped and we ended up taking first place in both torque and HP in that particular shootout and it really made for a good story at the time for all involved (needless to say Rick at AFR was especially relieved and pleased!)

This is a true story that I share with you guys to make a point that there are alot of different facets of cylinder head design to consider....all of which that can come into play and effect the end results (aka your dyno numbers and the shape of your power and torque curve). Judging the effectiveness of a cylinder head purely by looking at peak flow numbers doesnt even represent half of the real picture....there is alot more involved.

And hey....what do you know....turns out a little Googling allowed me to locate that BBC shootout I referenced above.....looks like Super Chevy covered the story back in 2012!

Its a good technical read if any of you have an interest and it highlights all the flow numbers from all the various heads tested and the final power and torque figures as well (eight sets were tested in total)

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/pro...ut-the-o-vs-r/

Good stuff

-Tony
tony, can I just say thank you for posting this kind of info. It's incredibly informative and the kind of info is mere mortals often never get to see / hear. Love the 'softening' of the chamber. And can't totally see why that would allow more comp as you have less chance of dept. Also the air / fuel velocity (and thus momentum) is often overlooked.

I think in the aftermarket world it's always a case of bigger is better. Yet the more and more we learn that's not the case! It's about finding what works by measuring results and comparing rather than guessing. I only wish the aftermarket was as honest and thorough as you seem to be. I would love to see more of the big companies do proper back to back tests or even simulations to 'prove' why we should spend money with them.

Please keep sharing this type of info with us mere mortals so we can try to understand.

Quick Reply: Another (almost) 650 RWHP Mamo Motorsports LS7 build