Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

primary O2 code after headers and a tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 07:06 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts
Default primary O2 code after headers and a tune

Had my heads fixed and Texas Speed and Performance long tube headers and catless xpipe installed and then had it tuned. They turned off the rear O2 sensors and it was running fine when I left. Next day I was going to get my windows tinted and the CEL came on. Turns out it's the primary O2 sensors. The tuners seemed to think the wire got too close to the headers and got melted but they still work and the installer used heat tape and pinned them up away from the headers. Earliest they could get me in to look at it is a week from tomorrow, so I wanted to see if anyone else had seen this code and had experience with it

Last edited by Toddiesel; 06-22-2022 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added no cats
Old 06-22-2022, 07:26 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

Cats or no cats?
Old 06-22-2022, 07:31 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

No cats
Old 06-22-2022, 07:55 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think it will work that way. Front O2 sends a reading to ecm and the rear has to send a reading within spec. Without the fronts turned off also, the ecm thinks something is wrong.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:03 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Texasthunder
I don't think it will work that way. Front O2 sends a reading to ecm and the rear has to send a reading within spec. Without the fronts turned off also, the ecm thinks something is wrong.
What do you mean "that way"? As in with the rears off? Both the dealership and the tuners were emphatic that I don't want to turn off the primary sensors.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:14 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
What do you mean "that way"? As in with the rears off? Both the dealership and the tuners were emphatic that I don't want to turn off the primary sensors.
I'm not a tuner. But I don't see how it won't throw a code with just the rears turned off. Your fronts are still sending readings to the ecm with no readings from the rear. The ecm has to have both readings to measure the difference to see if they are in spec.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:18 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

I'm not a tuner. But I don't see how it won't throw a code with just the rears turned off. Your fronts are still sending readings to the ecm with no readings from the rear. The ecm has to have both readings to measure the difference to see if they are in spec.
Well if you look at the codes, they're for like a heat element or something, so not a fuel error code.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:33 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Like I said I'm not a tuner so I don't know if you can turn off just a certain part of the O2 sensor. My understanding is it's all or nothing. Maybe some of the tuners on the forum will kick in and make us both understand how they work. I know a good tuner can do a lot of things to fool the ecm.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:36 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Like I said I'm not a tuner so I don't know if you can turn off just a certain part of the O2 sensor. My understanding is it's all or nothing. Maybe some of the tuners on the forum will kick in and make us both understand how they work. I know a good tuner can do a lot of things to fool the ecm.
Yes, you can turn off certain codes. The Corvette tech at the dealership is going to investigate next Thursday but until I can get the car in there I'm gonna be worried about it so I thought I'd see if anyone knew anything about these specific codes, especially if they've seen them with the setup I have.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:04 PM
Matt Zed
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Rear o2 sensors are bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2, they have no impact on the primary o2 (bank 1 and 2 sensor 1).

The code is for sensor 1 so the primary o2 sensors, the front ones. Circuit codes are wiring related, unplugged connector or broken wire.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:05 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Zed
Rear o2 sensors are bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2, they have no impact on the primary o2 (bank 1 and 2 sensor 1).

The code is for sensor 1 so the primary o2 sensors, the front ones. Circuit codes are wiring related, unplugged connector or broken wire.
That's essentially what the tuner said (though he said wire might have gotten melted on the headers). When I talked to the installer he said that was extremely unlikely, but we won't know for sure till we get it up on the lift next thursday. Super annoying. Tuner said the O2 sensors are still working though, so if the wire was fucked, wouldn't it not work? I just want to make sure it's safe to drive around until then. Guess I could jack it up myself and go under there and look and see if there's any physical damage.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 06-23-2022 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-2022, 11:51 AM
Kaidog
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a similar problem. Installed headers and the rear O2 extension connectors melted and threw codes for heater circuit. Shop turned off rear O2 and CEL went away.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:26 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,135 Likes on 592 Posts

I'm sorry, but that is not correct.

The rear O2S diagnostics are turned off because, with no cats, they'd quickly turn on the MIL due to low cat efficiency. Turning off the DTCs for the rear sennsors does not affect operation of the front sensors.

Those four DTCs, P0030, P0050, P0053, P0059 are all fault codes relating to the O2S heater circuits for both front sensors. That all those DTCs are set at once tells me that it is likely that there is damage to the wiring harness leading to both the front sensors. That four codes are listed as "current" (ie: the O2S heaters were not working at the time you were logging data) as well as "pending" and "history" tells me that the sensors may not be working until the exhaust gets them hot enough to start sending data. Also, there may be times mainly at idle or during coasting that the sensors cool enough to stop sending data.

My guess is the wiring harness leading to the front O2Ses has been damaged and will need to be either repaired or replaced.

Headers will do that to wiring. It needs to be both shielded in the vicinity of the sensor locations and rerouted to keep the harness away from exhaust heat.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:22 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
I'm sorry, but that is not correct.

The rear O2S diagnostics are turned off because, with no cats, they'd quickly turn on the MIL due to low cat efficiency. Turning off the DTCs for the rear sennsors does not affect operation of the front sensors.

Those four DTCs, P0030, P0050, P0053, P0059 are all fault codes relating to the O2S heater circuits for both front sensors. That all those DTCs are set at once tells me that it is likely that there is damage to the wiring harness leading to both the front sensors. That four codes are listed as "current" (ie: the O2S heaters were not working at the time you were logging data) as well as "pending" and "history" tells me that the sensors may not be working until the exhaust gets them hot enough to start sending data. Also, there may be times mainly at idle or during coasting that the sensors cool enough to stop sending data.

My guess is the wiring harness leading to the front O2Ses has been damaged and will need to be either repaired or replaced.

Headers will do that to wiring. It needs to be both shielded in the vicinity of the sensor locations and rerouted to keep the harness away from exhaust heat.

Thanks for that post. Kinda confirms what the tuner said. The installer did shield the wires (he said) and secured them away from the headers. Hopefully it's an easy fix. And hopefully it won't be a big deal for me to continue to drive it for a week.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:24 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

How many miles on the car? How many miles on the headers? I had issues burning up the heater elements on multiple sets of O2 sensors with TSP headers. Some have said its due to the distance where they are mounted on the header. I swapped to ARH and never had an issue again.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:31 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by jayyyw
How many miles on the car? How many miles on the headers? I had issues burning up the heater elements on multiple sets of O2 sensors with TSP headers. Some have said its due to the distance where they are mounted on the header. I swapped to ARH and never had an issue again.
25k miles on the car. Like 50 miles on the headers, if that. ARH... O2 sensors?
Old 06-23-2022, 11:00 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Also, did that actually cause issues, or just an annoying CEL? if it's just going to be a CEL, I can just have them turn those codes off. I just don't know how important the heating element is. Seems like it's more for emissions than anything.

Get notified of new replies

To primary O2 code after headers and a tune

Old 06-23-2022, 11:45 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

It was a few years ago. Can't recall if it affected anything.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:16 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

It was a few years ago. Can't recall if it affected anything.
You mentioned it happened a lot. You don't remember the ramifications of it? And where do I find these ARH O2 sensors? I googled it and didn't find anything
Old 06-24-2022, 09:41 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

American Racing Headers - ARH

Quick Reply: primary O2 code after headers and a tune