Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] coolant temp warning, engine overheated

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 06:15 PM
TripleplayZR1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Correct...this failure is far more common with aftermarket tunes that adjust the OE fan settings. There's a few threads in here on how to make a more robust connection...though I wonder how many have been successful long-term.

This one from Eric E always sticks in mind...a C6Z w/ an eForce S/C, but he sold the car. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...connector.html

OP, out of curiosity...is your car tuned?
excellent link. My connector definitely has a little meltdown going on but only middle terminal. If the connector isn’t the problem and if it was the module or fan relay, would I get an error code?
Old 07-13-2018, 06:41 PM
leadfart
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleplayZR1

excellent link. My connector definitely has a little meltdown going on but only middle terminal. If the connector isn’t the problem and if it was the module or fan relay, would I get an error code?
Mine heated up the first time in my driveway, and I noticed the fan was not on. It did not set a DTC. The next day, I drove to a nearby convenience store, and gassed it up, with the AC off. After I got back, I let it idle in the driveway, it did not heat up, until I turned the AC on. When it heated up, it set a DTC, P0480. Which is the primary coolant fan no workie. The Chevy place says it fried the fan module. Anyway, waiting on them to say it's fixed. HTH
Old 07-14-2018, 02:13 PM
kuyarog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleplayZR1

good advice, thanks.
I live in Las Vegas where the temperatures can exceed 115 degrees in the summer. June '17 I was on the other side of town when my ’12 ZR1 AC started blowing warm to hot air and the temperature gauge maxed out. Got my car home, took it to the Chevrolet dealer and $1450 later the fan, module and connecter were replaced. Fortunately, I have an extended warranty. I have part numbers from the invoice in you need them.
The following users liked this post:
TripleplayZR1 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 PM
leadfart
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Got mine back today, sure does run a lot cooler. All new stuff, 1514.76. First time an extended warranty has ever helped me!
Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

More than likely the fan control module and possibly melted harness from the module taking a dump. Common problem with Corvettes and we see it several times per year.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:13 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Might sound stupid, but check your grill for plastic bags. Buddy of mine just had his car overheat while idling in his driveway and found 2 plastic bags covering his grill.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] coolant temp warning, engine overheated