Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Short throw shifters

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 04:34 PM
troyman1216
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MGW (Maryland Gun Works) are the best. OEM=Sloppy, B&M=Not much better (Rattled), MGW the ONLY way to Shift!!!!!! :-)
Old 09-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by troyman1216
MGW (Maryland Gun Works) are the best. OEM=Sloppy, B&M=Not much better (Rattled), MGW the ONLY way to Shift!!!!!! :-)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 PM
passagemaker43
Pro

Received 393 Likes on 198 Posts

Pounder, I was responding to a general question in this post for shifters. If you don't want to take my comments for what they are, fine. I did not see any reference to only comments on MGW. Didn't mean to skake up your closed mind. My apologies.
Keith
Old 09-23-2018, 03:13 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

now im confused.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:45 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Looks like this Callaway shifter is no longer available.

https://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvett...ifter-648237-1
Old 09-23-2018, 01:48 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 173 Likes on 132 Posts

Anyone else ever used the Calloway?

C5, C6 & C7
Performance Shifter Boxes
Upgraded Shifter Options

Zero-Slop Shifter Linkages
Don't replace your clutch without upgrading your linkage!

www.TMODCUSTOMS.com
info@tmodcustoms.com

Old 09-23-2018, 02:29 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

https://www.callawaycars.com/homepag...hort-shifters/

Probably best to goto the source.

I still think stock>MGW unless you are just a cruise around to car show type person.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:47 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 173 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
https://www.callawaycars.com/homepag...hort-shifters/

Probably best to goto the source.

I still think stock>MGW unless you are just a cruise around to car show type person.
Only think that makes sense to me about that comment is that you prefer the factory shifter because it doesn't take more force to move, like every other short shifter in the world does. Even tho the factory shifter is a loose wobbly pos. Is that what you mean?
Old 09-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Factory shifter, as long as the bushings and box are not worn out, is fine, shifts smooth, and doesn't lock out at high RPM like MGW likes too.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:23 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Factory shifter, as long as the bushings and box are not worn out, is fine, shifts smooth, and doesn't lock out at high RPM like MGW likes too.
No lockout at over 7200 with my MGW, I like mine wayyy more than the stocker. I have a stock T56.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:58 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

It really comes down to personal preference. I've had 3 MGWs, all the different versions, and wouldn't recommend them unless you like short notchy shifts. Stock just seems to work better for actual racing and shifting. I know several people who did MGW, then went back to stock because they didn't like it. Drive a few different setups, and buy what you like.

The issue with people bashing stock a lot of the time is they have worn out bushings, boxes, etc and haven't felt a good stock setup.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

It really comes down to personal preference. I've had 3 MGWs, all the different versions, and wouldn't recommend them unless you like short notchy shifts. Stock just seems to work better for actual racing and shifting. I know several people who did MGW, then went back to stock because they didn't like it. Drive a few different setups, and buy what you like.

The issue with people bashing stock a lot of the time is they have worn out bushings, boxes, etc and haven't felt a good stock setup.
True, I have not checked my stock shifter thoroughly. It looked good coming apart lol. My MGW works way better for me.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:09 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

That's why I love my B&M shifter. It's smooth like stock, but a shorter throw.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:10 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

My MGW is much better than the stock one. And I still don't understand all this talk about "Notchey" what the hell exactly is that? Mine shifts smooth and goes where it's supposed to. What else do you need?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:56 AM
427C62013A
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

After reading this thread I ordered the MGW shifter. Install was easy enough. Reused stock shift ****. Feels so much better than stock. Nice and crisp. The more I drive it the better I like it.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyMalin (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by passagemaker43
Pounder, I was responding to a general question in this post for shifters. If you don't want to take my comments for what they are, fine. I did not see any reference to only comments on MGW. Didn't mean to skake up your closed mind. My apologies.
Keith
hardly a closed mind ???? read all you want about shifters the major consensus is MGW is the best !!!!!!!!!!! (not just Vettes,Mustangs also) !!!
Old 09-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree 100%

Get notified of new replies

To Short throw shifters

Old 09-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
I agree 100%
have had many vettes never liked the stock shifter or any stock shifter for that matter ??? people used to say the Muncie shifter was fine ???? (back in the 60/70's)
Old 09-24-2018, 11:53 AM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
I agree 100%
Third that.

I tried a friend's MGW recently, and no doubt it is tighter, shorter, and notchey, but I think a lot of people immediately translate that as 'better' without questioning if its actually needed. My stock shifter has never limited me, and I've never missed a shift so I have absolutely no FOMO about these aftermarket units, and actually GREATLY preferred my stocker. IMO anyone who has a major functional problem with the stock unit either needs to repair their worn/loose assembly, or practice their shifting.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:34 PM
passagemaker43
Pro

Received 393 Likes on 198 Posts

OK, at the risk of hearing from POUNDER again, I drove over to Callaway this morning and bought another one of their shifters for one of my other C6's. Lived here for 20 years but just never had a good reason to visit them. I was told their shifter was out of production for awhile which is why MEANJOE got the information he did. Callaway was very clear that both their Honker intake and their shifter are currently available directly from Callaway. Who else carries them I did not ask. Their current price is $390. This also confirms the link UNREAL put up. I also agree with UNREAL that if you are happy with the stock shifter there is no reason to change. If that stock shifter is sloppy the first step I would take is to replace the lower box by one produced by Tom at TMODCustoms, a vendor on this Forum. It is very impressive compared to stock.

Relative to the almost universal favorite of MGW I am not trying to refute their popularity. I am merely commenting if your goal is a very precise short throw shifter, Callaway should be on your short list. When it comes to universal acceptance I have probably let no less than 40 people try shifting the Callaway over the summer. Every single Corvette owner has been amazed at its tight shift pattern. As I mentioned before 3 people in one day at Carlisle immediately went to the Callaway display and bought one including someone who currently had a MGW shifter. If trying something different isn't in your game plan then stick to the tried and true. For my part I am always looking for an edge and when it comes to shifting its a Callaway.

No offense intended to the more sensitive types on this forum. Just trying to share information even if its not the view more commonly held.
Keith

Quick Reply: Short throw shifters