Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

new member: already fear too much car for me

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Vette doc
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indepth
Where at in NE Ohio? I'm in the area and would be happy to try and help if you need something.
indepth, I am near youngstown. How about you?
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Congrats on the new Z!! You'll get used to it very quickly - just wade into the power and performance of the car slowly and you'll have a great time!

On the other hand, don't you know that you have to post photos of your new car???
Old 07-17-2018, 11:36 PM
colanut
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can swing a 3 day driving class in AZ or So. Cal. you will see what a car like your's can do. It will show you your limits also.
Do it YOLO.

Last edited by colanut; 07-17-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:55 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Why not get use to the car stock handling before adding more HP or other performance mods? For a Z06, you are best to start off with a great set of tires and have the heads checked to start off with.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:36 AM
mdopole1
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Ive had my z06 a little over a year and a half. I just now started taking traction control off when accelerating in a straight line. New tires dont mean much unless you check the date codes on the sidewall. My rear tire datecode when i bought in 2017 was 2009!!!! 3rd gear was slippery!! New tires now and hooks up good.

Just take it slow and learn the car.

Last edited by mdopole1; 07-18-2018 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-18-2018, 01:16 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

If you realize its alot of car ,you are already on the right track. This car demands the utmost respect. You cant loose focus even for a second because this car will kill you. Never take the nannies off and remember to never stomp the throttle but feather it. What I mean is that there is a learning curve but you seem to have a brain and realize this cars raw potential......have fun.....good luck.

Clif

Last edited by z06clif; 07-18-2018 at 01:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vette doc (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 01:22 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Go to a very large, very empty parking lot and play with the car in it's different modes. The changes are startling. If it's an auto trans, try a hard launch in 1st gear with TC off, and watch your tires literally go up in smoke!!!
Im thinking a 2006 z06 is only manual 6 speed. I apologize for the correction

Clif
Old 07-18-2018, 04:29 PM
StingBeeZ06
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Its okay to drive a bit slower in a car you are becoming familiar with, in fact it is smart. I did the exact same thing with my 2016 Z06. Drive the car moderately until you become comfortable with the steering, visibility, clutch, sound, etc. Then start to add a little extra throttle after gear changes, to get used to the power. Seek out a local high performance driving school and enroll in the beginner classes. You will learn things about yourself and your car that you could never imagine. What you learn on the track, will translate to more comfortable and enjoyable drives on the street. ENJOY !
The following 2 users liked this post by StingBeeZ06:
astaggs (07-24-2018), Vette doc (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:39 PM
Vette doc
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
Congrats on the new Z!! You'll get used to it very quickly - just wade into the power and performance of the car slowly and you'll have a great time!On the other hand, don't you know that you have to post photos of your new car???
haha for sure i will post it up, i am slowly tweaking it to look like new again. Currently scrubbing clean, will be dropping at detailer to get paint correction and ceramic
then will refinish the calipers and i be done for the time being for pics

Originally Posted by itomh
Why not get use to the car stock handling before adding more HP or other performance mods? For a Z06, you are best to start off with a great set of tires and have the heads checked to start off with.
oh no, no performance upgrades. I am just adding little bit vanity stuff here and there like new radio, floor mats etc. In fact if there was a reliable tuner close by i would have inquired about tunning it down a bit until i get more comfortable.

Originally Posted by StingBeeZ06
Its okay to drive a bit slower in a car you are becoming familiar with, in fact it is smart. I did the exact same thing with my 2016 Z06. Drive the car moderately until you become comfortable with the steering, visibility, clutch, sound, etc. Then start to add a little extra throttle after gear changes, to get used to the power. Seek out a local high performance driving school and enroll in the beginner classes. You will learn things about yourself and your car that you could never imagine. What you learn on the track, will translate to more comfortable and enjoyable drives on the street. ENJOY !
i think one issue that makes it a bit unreal is the pure rawness of car, u feel the speed. I mean its hard to explain. u feel like ur really going 80 in this car being low down and set up to transmit all feedback straight to you. It kinda makes you want to dial down as soon as you approach a corner.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:50 PM
fasttoney
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tuning down

OP. You tune it down with your foot. And save money.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:06 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by colanut
If you can swing a 3 day driving class in AZ or So. Cal. you will see what a car like your's can do. It will show you your limits also.
Do it YOLO.
I’m a big fan of instruction and strongly agree with the above.

Investigate local car clubs/organizations that arrange track days - just like your 2 wheeled friends - and seek competent instruction to grow progressively in your comfort with smooth operation of the car.

Have fun!

Old 07-19-2018, 06:04 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I believe what some are saying about getting the heads checked, they mean the infamous valve problem. Read up on this, as many have done the “head fix” to try and avoid the dropped valve issue and destroying you motor. Some say it is a non issue, but I had mine done right after I bought mine.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy....safely
Old 07-19-2018, 08:06 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

If it is, you can sell it an go get a Mazda Miata.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:51 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Do you remember your first session in novice class doing track days.....and after 2-3 sessions you were ready for intermediate? Well you just jumped straight into advanced/wera LOL

these cars are like anything else YOU control. Its only as dangrous as you make it.
once youve done track days for years it seems weird that someone is scared to drag a knee but to you and I, its the only way to ride on a track.
Just be careful and leave traction control & active handling on and you WILL get there.
and remember, you cant lowside or highside a car !! Your safe inside there
Vette doc (07-23-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:57 PM
StingBeeZ06
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette doc
haha for sure i will post it up, i am slowly tweaking it to look like new again. Currently scrubbing clean, will be dropping at detailer to get paint correction and ceramic
then will refinish the calipers and i be done for the time being for pics

oh no, no performance upgrades. I am just adding little bit vanity stuff here and there like new radio, floor mats etc. In fact if there was a reliable tuner close by i would have inquired about tunning it down a bit until i get more comfortable.

i think one issue that makes it a bit unreal is the pure rawness of car, u feel the speed. I mean its hard to explain. u feel like ur really going 80 in this car being low down and set up to transmit all feedback straight to you. It kinda makes you want to dial down as soon as you approach a corner.
Agreed. the perception of the speed being low is very different and carving a fast corner with a car, instead of slowing down for corners takes some getting used to. Its like when I put the wife on the back of my ZX-14R for the first time and told her to hang on. We were doing about 60 and she thought we were going over 100.

Last edited by StingBeeZ06; 07-19-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
You have found out the dirty little secret with high performance cars, and even motorcycles. There is only so much power you can safely use on the street. After that, it's just an ego thing, and there is nothing wrong with that. Your post shows wisdom and experience with bikes, in that you realize exactly what you have, and where your limits are right now. The internet is full of videos of people who failed to realize those 2 points. The consequences can be deadly and far too often it's the innocent who pay the ultimate price.

Whatever you do, DO NOT **** WITH THE TRACTION CONTROL settings until you get a grip on how the car responds. It's a safety net that works brilliantly and makes the car far more versatile in normal driving conditions.

enjoy your car, these things are a BLAST!!!

Words of truth. The limits on the car are high enough to demand respect... bad things will happen when you lose it waaaay out there.
You'll never get comfortable trying to learn its limits on the street, but you can on the track. If you've tracked the bike, it'll only take you a session to get comfortable. Competitive Driving mode will be your friend.
As for the coilovers affecting the ride... hard to say if it's an issue with yours, or just normal Corvette behavior. I have a stock C5/Z51 suspension car, and a C6Z that has LG coilovers. The Z rides soooooo much smoother than the C5.
Vette doc (07-23-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:14 PM
jwalton
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by keeso6z
If it is, you can sell it an go get a Mazda Miata.
I'll go one further. Given all the money you're spending on the car (don't have a problem with that), go buy an NA/NB Miata to learn how to drive quickly with skill instead of horsepower. If anything bad happens you can kinda just open the door and step out . I have both and the Miata made me a much better driver much cheaper than if I had started with the Vette. I still jump in the Miata quite a bit to remind me how important maintaining balance and momentum are. You have tons more time to think and react and the car practically screams at you when you screw up. And if you ball it up? You can buy two more for the price of our motor, which is my incredibly smooth way of parroting the other guy who said to check your valve guides...

Oh yeah, and have fun enjoying your new car! You're gonna love it!
Vette doc (07-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To new member: already fear too much car for me

Old 07-22-2018, 09:44 AM
CorsoZ06
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 123 Posts

OP, Just the fact that you took the time to write this post to share your concern tells me you will be ok. You are an accomplished 2-wheeler who wears leathers, with years of experience, and yet still you walked away from it for the love of your kids. That alone says a lot about what's going on it your head, and it appears to be screwed on tight.

I've owned a few RWD manual performance cars throughout the years, and sort of graduated up to the Z06. Starting with a Pontiac Formula WS6, first gen CTS-V, Mazda RX8, as well as a few fast SUVs, a TrailBlazer SS and Porsche Cayenne Turbo. Recently acquired a Chevy SS sedan too. All of those vehicles are respectable performers in their own right, but I can tell you this, they all are very tame compared to the Z06. I thought they were fast at the time, but the Z06 is next-level-fast by comparison.

I've owned my Z06 for 2 driving seasons, but haven't logged many miles....maybe 1500 +/-....and there is a learning curve to driving these cars spiritedly, that's for sure. They can accelerate ferociously and corners or other cars can come up on you very fast!. The Z06 can be downright explosive with little effort. It doesn't take much for things to get interesting real quick. With that being said, these cars can be driven very casually and conservatively very easily, and are very well mannered while doing so.

Nothing more to add really that hasn't already been said. Drive and learn the car on warm, dry days with good tires. Traction nannys on always. When you do feel ready to gradually tap into the power, do so while the car is pointed in a straight line!

Keep the car. You will feel comfortable in short order, and it won't be long till you are grinning ear-to-ear while giggling like a toddler at the fun you will be having behind the wheel.

Cheers!
Vette doc (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Grabbin Gears
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's good you know your limits and comfort zone. It's like anything else, I'm betting it was a lot of riding and a good amount of track time before dragging a knee. As someone who has ridden bikes on the track and raced cars for years they both take time to feel comfortable. But once you do you will be wanting for more.

When I bought mine the first thing I did was take it to the track to see what it could do and researched if I could start it up with traction disabled. I've had lots of high HP cars (and still do) but his is one of he most fun to drive. Heck we all remember our first driving experience, mine was in a ford granada and I thought I was flying because I drove at 35 mph. It's all relative, give it some time.
Vette doc (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 AM
09C6Z06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default They call it an idiot switch for a reason

Until you get comfortable leave traction control ON! Spurs took me dancing a few times before I gained a honest respect for her. Respecting her is different from being scared. When I learned to fly my instructor told me I had to understand the flight envelope, I used the same approach(LOL) with Spurs, and the street may not be the best place to experience her attitudes, I continue to find place away from curbs and cars. She's a beautiful lady, but she can be a bitc- some times. Kinda sounds like my girl friend.
Vette doc (07-23-2018)

Quick Reply: new member: already fear too much car for me