Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Anyone step up to a GT3?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:23 PM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

It is so refreshing to read a Porsche thread here without any negative/sheltered comments about how great they are. Lucky owner up above!
The following users liked this post:
furiousox (07-26-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 08:45 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by ecmoney775
Yes I also have the MGW it does help alot. The prob with the turbo's is the AWD. Its amazing but you cannot get a proper track alignment out of the front with the driveshafts. Another reason is the Turbo's depreciate. If you got a 991 GT3 for 120-130 it will still be worth that when you sell it. Current 997's are still 110+.
Ah ok, I want to go ahead and grab one. The TT's are not really meant for the track like the GT3 anyway, they just happen to be bad fast there as well. I am not surprised about alignment issues with track use. TT's do depreciate like rocks for some reason. If it has GT or RS in the name it will appreciate lol. I have seen a few 991 GT3's used in the $120-130k range and no doubt the 997's still are. Look at the 997 GT2 non-RS, they still demand almost $200k. The 997 GT2RS is over $400-$500k. Definitely great investments if you can afford one and grab an allotment!

Originally Posted by cseaman
It is so refreshing to read a Porsche thread here without any negative/sheltered comments about how great they are. Lucky owner up above!
I looked into 996/997 Turbo's before my Z. The 997's interior was better but no PDK and I am in no financial position to purchase a 997 TT with a PDK ($100k+). If I were I would be in a 2013-2014 Audi R8 V10+ with the DCT. The C6Z has a great bang for your buck and I fell in love with the car. P-cars are great but after getting into a C6Z and having friends with C7Z's they have lost their "wow" factor to me. Granted if I see one on the road I still stare haha (GT car/Turbo car).

Originally Posted by alec427
I've driven both a 991.2 GT3 w/6 Speed Manual and a 991.1 GT3 w/PDK on the track along with numerous other P-cars (GT4, Turbo etc).

It's not necessarily a fair comparison as we're comparing brand new/practically brand new to a 10+ year old car. Also, major price differences.

The 991 platform has definitely made major advancements over the 996/997's so take that into consideration. IMO they're something that has to be pushed to be really appreciated.

As much as I love my C6Z and it's an amazing platform/bang for your buck, the 991 GT3's are leaps and bounds superior. Build quality especially as they're put together so well. A C6Z with proper mods/tires/driver though... different story.
991's definitely are great compared to the older models, I would love to drive a newer .2 GT3 to see what the big rave about them is. As for your last sentence, C6Z Z07.

To me I would like to see 991.1/.2 GT3 vs C6Z/Z07 and 997 GT3 vs C6Z.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:53 AM
ecmoney775
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alec427
I've driven both a 991.2 GT3 w/6 Speed Manual and a 991.1 GT3 w/PDK on the track along with numerous other P-cars (GT4, Turbo etc).

It's not necessarily a fair comparison as we're comparing brand new/practically brand new to a 10+ year old car. Also, major price differences.

The 991 platform has definitely made major advancements over the 996/997's so take that into consideration. IMO they're something that has to be pushed to be really appreciated.

As much as I love my C6Z and it's an amazing platform/bang for your buck, the 991 GT3's are leaps and bounds superior. Build quality especially as they're put together so well. A C6Z with proper mods/tires/driver though... different story.

Yes I agree exactly. However I do still own my Z for good reason like you said. It's a hell of a car..Porsche are just a bit different. Brings out the inner German in me haha
Old 07-25-2018, 06:57 AM
ecmoney775
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cseaman

Thank you..I would never bash my Z or any guys who drive one haha. That would be quite un American of me, and I love America
Old 07-25-2018, 03:44 PM
OhhhApieceOfCandy
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

In all fairness. The 997 is the old platform, the two cars are not even comparable. The 991 is a very very big leap forward
Can you expand on why the generational leap is so big? I ask because everyone says the newest P car is the best thing ever and that it's leaps and bounds above the competition then a new one comes out and people say "it leaves the old one in the dust." This is coming from a guy who's never even driven a Porsche but they can't be improving that much on what everyone said was already perfection, right?
Old 07-25-2018, 06:54 PM
ecmoney775
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OhhhApieceOfCandy
Can you expand on why the generational leap is so big? I ask because everyone says the newest P car is the best thing ever and that it's leaps and bounds above the competition then a new one comes out and people say "it leaves the old one in the dust." This is coming from a guy who's never even driven a Porsche but they can't be improving that much on what everyone said was already perfection, right?
Well I would have to agree with everyone in the fact that the new one is that much better. The 997 GT3 was a great car, but they redesigned everything for the 991. Its a much bigger car, wider footprint. Also they dropped the Metzger engines and developed a new 3.8 with a 9k rpm redline.Rear wheel steering, and bigger wider tires. Electric steering which is one of the best I have felt. Also the PDK addition, however the GT3 and RS cars get what they call a PDK-S. Its an updated gearbox and the shifts are soo fast it's hard to not love it..
Old 07-26-2018, 10:48 AM
OhhhApieceOfCandy
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I would have to agree with everyone in the fact that the new one is that much better. The 997 GT3 was a great car, but they redesigned everything for the 991. Its a much bigger car, wider footprint. Also they dropped the Metzger engines and developed a new 3.8 with a 9k rpm redline.Rear wheel steering, and bigger wider tires. Electric steering which is one of the best I have felt. Also the PDK addition, however the GT3 and RS cars get what they call a PDK-S. Its an updated gearbox and the shifts are soo fast it's hard to not love it..
Sounds like a significant improvement. I'm not doubting you it's just from someone who's never driven a Porsche it's hard not to roll your eyes when you're constantly reading that the current car is perfection then 3 years later you read that the newest car was twice as good as perfection. For what it's worth, I considered buying a 996TT before I got my c6z just to see what the P car fuss was all about but in the end euro maintenance scared me away.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:31 AM
ecmoney775
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OhhhApieceOfCandy
Sounds like a significant improvement. I'm not doubting you it's just from someone who's never driven a Porsche it's hard not to roll your eyes when you're constantly reading that the current car is perfection then 3 years later you read that the newest car was twice as good as perfection. For what it's worth, I considered buying a 996TT before I got my c6z just to see what the P car fuss was all about but in the end euro maintenance scared me away.

Yea I know what your saying though. Its hard to believe sometimes with the media and articles..Its not the greatest thing ever but the new GT3 is really good. To be honest, the old 997 platform was introduced around the time of our C6Z..And my Z I believe is a better car or close to it than the old GT3. The Z06 was very mighty in its time and still is. But the new 991 series cars are another story. They have the best gadgets and modern technologies the world offers and its noticeable. Less power, smaller engine, heavier car than our cars. But Porsche is the best at putting power to the ground efficiently. And it shows Id love to take you for a ride if your ever in South Florida.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:46 PM
gnx7
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll have to try and drive the new 991 sometime soon then if it is that much better than the 997!

C6Z bang for the buck as stated is hard to look past. If you can justify adding on a real splitter and rear wing for serious downforce it makes them sooo much better. $100K toys are way out of my budget that is for sure

I had a fully built FD RX-7 with 18x12's at all corners, 550rwhp mild 438ci LS7, GForce GSR dog box, 8.8" IRS Cobra diff, JRZ triple coilovers, 2470lbs wet with 8 gallons of fuel (good for 20 min sessions) and it went a best of 1:33 at Laguna Seca with more left in it. A lot more. There was not much out there that could keep up with it. The engine was built to keep power low.... but torque high to try to fit into a specific class. After losing the dry sump belt (walked off)/seizing the engine and grenading the transmission all in the same day.... I ended up fixing it and sold it.

New owner put in a MAST 416, Quaife sequential gear box and more aero mods. It is fast... but I feel needs much more aero work to get to the next level:

Last edited by gnx7; 07-30-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:24 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Before I bought my first Corvette in 2004, I did some research on purchasing the last model year RX7 with the twin turbo 13B.

I was excited until I realized there were two types of cars - those that had the motor replaced and those that needed a motor replacement. That, and when I finally sat in one my 6-3 frame didnt fit too well. Still have a soft spot for them in any case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone step up to a GT3?