Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C6ZR1 v C7Z - TRACK PERFORMANCE

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 09:02 AM
jbk0018
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6ZR1 v C7Z - TRACK PERFORMANCE

I've read countless reviews focused entirely on the opinions of forum users on these two beasts. This thread is not about that. Seats, interiors, technology, color, rarity, styling - none of that matters for this discussion

Rather, I'm purely interested to hear how everyone thinks these two preform on a ROAD course. (NOTE: Not a drag strip. Straight line racing isn't my thing)

How does the C6ZR compare on the track to the C7Z?

- Is the PTM on the C6 just as sophisticated
- Do the brakes bite as hard
- Does the car feel heavier or lighter leaving corners
- Is there any throttle lag
- Heat!!?? Are there any issues with overheating?

I have a 2015 Z07. Got it off the line #229 when they were first produced. I track the car 5-6 times a year in Texas and heat is a major issue. Unfortunately, being in Texas, we only have 3-4 months of the year where temperatures are sub 85 and usually those months are cold as hell or icy. So I can't avoid the heat. I've never had a track session where I saw a checkered flag at pace. Every time out, I'm pulling off the race line 2 laps early to cool down because all my temps are too hot. Oil, water, brake fluid and power steering all start to suffer. Chevy really missed the mark by claiming it was the most track capable car they ever built. That my be true, but it should have also said "For only half a session, it's the most track capable car."

Seriously considering an "upgrade" to the LS9 engine if everyone here says the track capabilities of the ZR are comparable.

Thanks to all from Dallas.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Would probably be cheaper/easier to just address the cooling issues on your current car.
The following users liked this post:
jbk0018 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:17 AM
polyol
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I assume you have an automatic? They are far more prone to the problem.

It would be easier to address the cooling issues on your current car. There are quite a few solutions, your local corvette shop should have the answers.

Annoying for sure, makes me think twice before upgrading to a C7.
jbk0018 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:40 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by polyol
I assume you have an automatic? They are far more prone to the problem.

It would be easier to address the cooling issues on your current car. There are quite a few solutions, your local corvette shop should have the answers.

Annoying for sure, makes me think twice before upgrading to a C7.

I'm sure he doesn't have an automatic as he says he's a road course guy not 1/4

Vadge says the c7 makes the c6 obsolete, but it sure seems like they have lots of cooling issues.
jbk0018 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 AM
jbk0018
Intermediate

M7.
My last time out my power steering suffered and I had to muscle out of a turn. Scared the hell out of me. Thankfully it wasn't too brutal part of the track. I could improve the various cooling components, but I feel like it's good money after bad. Even the 2017 Z's have cooling issues, although not as significant. A '17 M7 Z07 in my run group heated out too. Just seems the larger blower on the C6ZR is more reliable.
Not to mention, it sucks running a road race having to constantly check temps. That distraction is just one more thing to worry with on the track
Old 07-25-2018, 11:49 AM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

I have not ridden in let alone driven a C7Z (would love to though). But I live in Frisco and have owned my 2012 ZR1 for almost 2 years and have 2 track sessions under my belt. One last year on the infield road course at TMS and a session a few months ago at Eagle's Canyon. In both instances I ran multiple sessions with each session lasting anywhere between 15-30 minutes. It was pretty damn hot both times and the car performed flawlessly. I am no pro driver but I have experience and push the car hard.
As most have said you are probably better off $$ wise just addressing the cooling issue, but I can speak from experience now that the ZR1 is a beast in its own right and the LS9 has run like a champ for me with zero issues.
If you would ever like to meet up sometime I would love to check out your Z. Good luck either way you go!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:09 PM
jbk0018
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NotreOkc
I have not ridden in let alone driven a C7Z (would love to though). But I live in Frisco and have owned my 2012 ZR1 for almost 2 years and have 2 track sessions under my belt. One last year on the infield road course at TMS and a session a few months ago at Eagle's Canyon. In both instances I ran multiple sessions with each session lasting anywhere between 15-30 minutes. It was pretty damn hot both times and the car performed flawlessly. I am no pro driver but I have experience and push the car hard.
As most have said you are probably better off $$ wise just addressing the cooling issue, but I can speak from experience now that the ZR1 is a beast in its own right and the LS9 has run like a champ for me with zero issues.
If you would ever like to meet up sometime I would love to check out your Z. Good luck either way you go!
Eagle Canyon. You run that through The Driver's Edge? I plan to make their 3.1 Motorsport Ranch session in November. We can meet up there, or somewhere else round town. Would equally love the chance to check out the ZR. Your year model is the one I have my eye on. Maybe we could swap :-)
Old 07-25-2018, 12:48 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jbk0018
Eagle Canyon. You run that through The Driver's Edge? I plan to make their 3.1 Motorsport Ranch session in November. We can meet up there, or somewhere else round town. Would equally love the chance to check out the ZR. Your year model is the one I have my eye on. Maybe we could swap :-)
Eagle's Canyon has one open Saturday a month (normally, they sometimes skip a month if they have special events), it is $200 and all makes and models are welcome. It is an absolute blast.
I will shoot you a PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:11 PM
MikeOC
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I bet there are cheaper options but Callaway has their SC757 package for 18k and has a warranty available. Swaps the blower to 2.3 and adds additional cooling. Supposedly they don't have cooling issues. Extra power might keep the revs lower as well. Might be comparable to the hit you would take on depreciation to git rid of your C7.
jbk0018 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:35 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

If the heat issues weren't problematic, do you like your C7Z enough to keep it?

Have you considered LG's C7Z Track Package to solve the heat issues? Not inexpensive, but from everything I've read, its very effective. https://www.lgmotorsports.com/corvet...k-package.html
Old 07-25-2018, 10:06 PM
MikeOC
Racer

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
If the heat issues weren't problematic, do you like your C7Z enough to keep it?

Have you considered LG's C7Z Track Package to solve the heat issues? Not inexpensive, but from everything I've read, its very effective. https://www.lgmotorsports.com/corvet...k-package.html
Good point, I also forgot about the TIKT system as well although the price is really up there on the TIKT.

partial system
https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-...em-c7-z06.aspx

full system and front aero
https://store.katechengines.com/tikt...stem-p534.aspx
Old 07-25-2018, 10:26 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeOC
Good point, I also forgot about the TIKT system as well although the price is really up there on the TIKT.

partial system
https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-...em-c7-z06.aspx

full system and front aero
https://store.katechengines.com/tikt...stem-p534.aspx

Yeah, TIKT makes awesome stuff...even for the C6 ZR1...but they are mighty damn proud of their work. I just figured since the OP is in TX, as is LG...it might be worth a look.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 07-25-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by jbk0018
I've read countless reviews focused entirely on the opinions of forum users on these two beasts. This thread is not about that. Seats, interiors, technology, color, rarity, styling - none of that matters for this discussion

Rather, I'm purely interested to hear how everyone thinks these two preform on a ROAD course. (NOTE: Not a drag strip. Straight line racing isn't my thing)

How does the C6ZR compare on the track to the C7Z?

- Is the PTM on the C6 just as sophisticated
- Do the brakes bite as hard
- Does the car feel heavier or lighter leaving corners
- Is there any throttle lag
- Heat!!?? Are there any issues with overheating?

I have a 2015 Z07. Got it off the line #229 when they were first produced. I track the car 5-6 times a year in Texas and heat is a major issue. Unfortunately, being in Texas, we only have 3-4 months of the year where temperatures are sub 85 and usually those months are cold as hell or icy. So I can't avoid the heat. I've never had a track session where I saw a checkered flag at pace. Every time out, I'm pulling off the race line 2 laps early to cool down because all my temps are too hot. Oil, water, brake fluid and power steering all start to suffer. Chevy really missed the mark by claiming it was the most track capable car they ever built. That my be true, but it should have also said "For only half a session, it's the most track capable car."

Seriously considering an "upgrade" to the LS9 engine if everyone here says the track capabilities of the ZR are comparable.

Thanks to all from Dallas.
I own a C6z race car, a C7Z and I have driven a C6ZR1 on a race track and instructed students in them. I am unbiased and I love all Corvettes. My cars are driven 10/10ths at race speed. As for your questions:

- Is the PTM on the C6 just as sophisticated - NO
- Do the brakes bite as hard - YES
- Does the car feel heavier or lighter leaving corners - LIGHTER
- Is there any throttle lag - SOME
- Heat!!?? Are there any issues with overheating? - YES

If you are on street tires and not driving the car 10/10ths then you can manage the heat in both cars on the track. Once you move to 80 or 100tw tires or Hoosiers and get fast you will battle heat in almost any car. And a car with a blower will almost always run hotter. And for any car that is run hard on a road course heat is ALWAYS the enemy and every single racer battles it. For your C7Z you can start by adding the GM Secondary radiator for around $850. Depending on the conditions, it addresses the overheating problem in 90% of the scenarios. I run with MANY MANY C7Zs on the track and I've only seen a few go into limp mode. I am literally at the race track every two weeks and I am talking HUNDREDS of C7Zs over the last few years. Many of them are experienced drivers on 80-100tw tires and in some cases Hoosiers or slicks. And I have seen all kinds of cars overheat, from Lambos to Mustangs to Vipers to Vettes.

If the GM secondary radiator doesn't fix your problem, then you may have to go to a more severe solution like offered by LG or GSpeed. They both have it figured out and will resolve the issue once and for all almost 100% of the time.

And to re-iterate, almost all high horsepower cars that are driven HARD on a race track need to address cooling, among other things. This includes C7Z, C6ZR1, C6Z and so on. The OEM solution is simply not adequate and not designed for this purpose, regardless of marketing (which you should almost never believe). I was literally just at Watkins Glen for 5 straight days and there was a white C6ZR1 there that was overheating, whilst six C7Zs were out playing. The next day it got cooler and the C6ZR1 figured out his issue, got out and laid waste to the field. A phenomenal display by the C6ZR1, well representing the capabilities of a virtual supercar. I dusted his ***, but then again I better.

Here was the C6ZR1:

Here is forum member Racingswh (Steve) who showed up a few days later. He is legit one of the fastest drivers I know, owns two Vettes and a Viper:

Here is a few of us getting ready. I am on the right.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mordeth:
dcooper23 (07-27-2018), furiousox (07-26-2018), jbk0018 (07-26-2018), MikeOC (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 PM
MikeOC
Racer

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Yeah, the TIKT makes awesome stuff...even for the C6 ZR1...but they are mighty damn proud of their work. I just figured since the OP is in TX, as is LG...it might be worth a look.
agreed. I have no experience with any of those options, just putting them out there.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:03 PM
polyol
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice post Mordeth!!!
Old 07-25-2018, 11:29 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

There's some serious downforce going on right there...

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Old 07-25-2018, 11:35 PM
MikeOC
Racer

Expert info as usual Mordeth, you are an exceptionally helpful member of the forum. I'll make you steak if you're ever in SoCal

Get notified of new replies

To C6ZR1 v C7Z - TRACK PERFORMANCE

Old 07-26-2018, 03:27 PM
jbk0018
Intermediate

Agreed. Brilliant synopsis, Mordeth. You've help (at least partially) curtain my enthusiams for swapping in favor of a C6Zr. Many thanks.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:34 AM
jbk0018
Intermediate

bump
Old 07-27-2018, 03:09 PM
Hockyz
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don’t have any seat time in a c7z, but I can tell you that my zr1 is awesome on track and I have not seen a c7z turning the lap times that I am when I am out. I’ve never had overheating trouble, but I typically shy away from very hot days. The hottest days I’ve been to we’re low 90s and high humidity; the car was fine all day long with 30 minute sessions. My car is lightly pullied, too.
jbk0018 (07-27-2018)

Quick Reply: C6ZR1 v C7Z - TRACK PERFORMANCE