Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Btr stage 4 dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 11:35 PM
JSBzo6c6
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Btr stage 4 dyno results (UPDATED!)

Hi all, this is actually my first post! I finally joined after months of coming here for diys and help lol.. car is a 09 zo6, have owned it for 3 years with just bolt ons (headers, high flow cats, intake, exhaust and tune. Never got dynod though) after being paranoid to drive the car because of the valve drop issue I kept hearing about with the ls7 I finally got AHP heads. Did a .030 mill and decided on the btr stage 4 cam. Of course went with arp bolts for the heads and crank pulley, a 160 thermostat, new OEM lifters and the che trunion upgrade. Got her tuned and she made 554whp on a 100 degree day. That is what I was expecting but the torque is what is throwing me off, only made 477wtq. I heard the intake manifold and a ported throttle body will help but I see cars with a stage 3 put down atleast 500wtq. Any one else see similar numbers? Car has 46k miles and running 93 octane. Tuner has a very good reputation in my area.

Update! Deleted cats and installed my mamo msd and 102mm tb she made 589/520 to the wheel. So gained 43wtq and 36whp. Pretty happy with it.

Last edited by JSBzo6c6; 09-09-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 07-27-2018, 01:08 AM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

My 07 Z with a BTR stage 3, stock fixed heads, trunnion upgrade, MSD intake, 2" headers to 3" X pipe, and Vararam CAI put down 575hp and 505wtq on a mustang dyno. Every dyno is different and usually those dynojet dynos put down some friendly numbers. Maybe your tuner can tweak it around more. I need to get a nick williams 102 throttle body and I plan on running cutouts before the rear axle, so we shall see if that picks up anything.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:01 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Torque is down a bit, especially when you consider that those numbers are STD/3, SAE/5 would be less, but that's right in line with what a buddy of mine made with just WCCH stage 2 heads, milled .030, and a K501 cam and halltech intake. Stock IM/TB, stock exhaust manifolds.

Which brand of headers? Stock IM manifold might be holding you back. IMO AHP is not great for performance, WCCH beats them in that department. That could be a factor as well.

Great results. Can't complain about that flat torque curve. Must feel like a PD blower car, those torque curves are normally pretty flat.

Last edited by Josh B.; 07-27-2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:17 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Torque is down a bit, especially when you consider that those numbers are STD/3, SAE/5 would be less, but that's right in line with what a buddy of mine made with just WCCH stage 2 heads, milled .030, and a K501 cam and halltech intake. Stock IM/TB, stock exhaust manifolds.

Which brand of headers? Stock IM manifold might be holding you back. IMO AHP is not great for performance, WCCH beats them in that department. That could be a factor as well.

Great results. Can't complain about that flat torque curve. Must feel like a PD blower car, those torque curves are normally pretty flat.
We have a number of cars on the fast list with our heads. in fact numbers 1 and 2 on the fast list are running our ported heads.
A little saltyness i see. Its easy to hate on a company as good and as popular as we are.
Our heads regurally outflow and out preform wcch and other competitors.
Our heads are some of the best for performance and longevity.
OP high possibility you need more air coming into the engine. the BTR4 likes a larger intake and throttle body.

Last edited by American Heritage; 07-27-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Numbers are very low. The correction factor takes into account the head, so saying it was 100F day doesn't really matter unless you are talking uncorrected numbers. The fact that it is STD means SAE is even lower. I would be looking at problems, as cams that size with those mods should be well into the 570-580 range. Last car I tuned made 580rwhp on a smaller cam, with bone stock heads never off the car.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:15 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

I agree that numbers are very low for those mods. My car made 565/511 on a Mustang Dyno with a BTR stage 2 and similar mods (plus an MSD intake). I have AHP heads as well.

Last edited by Frankie15; 07-27-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:42 AM
441LSXTT
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice numbers!!! My BTR4 made 625rwhp 560rwtq with Mamo ported MSD intake and AI ls7 heads with supporting mods. I still have factory pulley and thermostat
Old 07-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Nice job! Car is begging for a Mamo MSD, NW TB and Halltech MF108. These are worth a solid, honest 20-30whp and 25-35wtq ACROSS THE RPM BAND. Nevermind chasing "peak numbers" on a corrected, fabricated dyno chart, which are useless and don't win races. You need to get more air into that engine and you need to do it more efficiently. And nevermind listing the temperature. The Dyno has a weather station and is correcting for it, and in your case correcting to a more favorable standard (STD vs SAE). So unless your car is overheating and pulling timing, listing the temp is not relevant here. To put it another way, your car is making actual, real results that are lower than what is showing on that dyno graph because it is correcting to a standardized temperature, humidity and pressure. So in 100 degree temp, you aren't really making 553/477. You are making less (bad for you). And what you actually make on a given day is what is important. The standards are used to make comparisons. You don't race standards. You race what you got and what you make on that day. Period and end of discussion.

When I dyno my car I have the tuner give me SAE with smoothing 5 (for NASA competition racing requirements and to make valid comparisons to my last dyno) and then the uncorrected results so I know more precisely what power my engine is making on that day in those conditions. I don't care about comparing random dyno graphs to the internet racers who chase peak hp on fabricated graphs. All I am in interested in are the following:

- before and after results, using a standardized correction factor to rule out environmental/weather variables
- keeping my rated, calculated/corrected power within the limits of my racing class
- where and for how long in the RPM curve I make the power on the dyno (average power under the desired portion of the RPM > peak power)
- what I am making UNCORRECTED on a given day (for informational purposes)- all on a dynojet.

So as you can see, the dyno is nothing more than a tool. A tool to dial in the tune, calculate where/when the power is being made, determine the measured impact of changes and to make comparisons to previous measurements. In your case, if you want to generate more power you need more air.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:39 AM
JSBzo6c6
Cruising

I appreciate everyone that replied! I mean the car drives great, does pull way harder then before. I normally dont care for numbers but the wtq did throw me off lol to be more specific car has kooks long tube headers, billy boat fusion exhaust and vararam intake. I made sure the timing was correct when I did the cam install. No check engine lights or codes so I doubt there is a problem with the car (have put about 1000 miles on it since install) tuner said with a big cam like the stage 4 it needs to breathe so he recommended the msd intake manifold and bigger throttle body. Or to get my stock manifold/throttle body ported at least. I just haven't seen any other Ls7 with the stage 4 cam show torque numbers that low. Hopefully makes a big difference once I do change those out, after that I need to start looking into a clutch 😁

Last edited by JSBzo6c6; 07-27-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:20 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by JSBzo6c6
I appreciate everyone that replied! I mean the car drives great, does pull way harder then before. I normally dont care for numbers but the wtq did throw me off lol to be more specific car has kooks long tube headers, billy boat fusion exhaust and vararam intake. I made sure the timing was correct when I did the cam install. No check engine lights or codes so I doubt there is a problem with the car (have put about 1000 miles on it since install) tuner said with a big cam like the stage 4 it needs to breathe so he recommended the msd intake manifold and bigger throttle body. Or to get my stock manifold/throttle body ported at least. I just haven't seen any other Ls7 with the stage 4 cam show torque numbers that low. Hopefully makes a big difference once I do change those out, after that I need to start looking into a clutch 😁
Depending on the clutch you choose, you can pick up a significant amount to the tires.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:28 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Too much cam for your parts combo. Your car has asthma with the OE intake manifold. As others have suggested, you really need a ported MSD...or a ported FAST at a minimum. What brand LT's, and what size primaries are they? Who tuned the car?
Old 07-27-2018, 04:25 PM
JSBzo6c6
Cruising

Justune is who tuned the car, I live in Kansas city. He has a good reputation and has done multiple 1000+hp cars. Headers are kooks 1 7/8. Would getting rid of my cats help alot besides the intake manifold and throttle body?
Old 07-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by American Heritage
We have a number of cars on the fast list with our heads. in fact numbers 1 and 2 on the fast list are running our ported heads.
A little saltyness i see. Its easy to hate on a company as good and as popular as we are.
Our heads regurally outflow and out preform wcch and other competitors.
Our heads are some of the best for performance and longevity
Don't feel bad...... You are in good company! LOL
Old 07-27-2018, 05:47 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 147 Posts

OP What Mordeth said +++ on the MAMO MSD, NW TB with your cam and heads I think 30-40
is more likely, your OE Intake & TB are holding your engine back BIG TIME!
Old 07-27-2018, 09:19 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Ported MSD, NW102, and 108 will get some air in. The 102/Halltech 108 just went on my car and I am waiting on the retune. Numbers look ok and a tad low once you go SAE and for a BTR4.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:58 PM
JSBzo6c6
Cruising

I am currently looking for a used msd intake manifold and a 102mm throttle body before I buy new, hopefully get them soon. Will update the thread/numbers after install and dyno/tune!
Old 07-28-2018, 12:17 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I am currently looking for a used msd intake manifold and a 102mm throttle body before I buy new, hopefully get them soon. Will update the thread/numbers after install and dyno/tune!
On FB there are 2 FS on the Z06 Buy/Sale/Trade page. $800/$850. Purchase one and port it with your dremel.

Get notified of new replies

To Btr stage 4 dyno results

Old 07-28-2018, 02:54 AM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Justune is who tuned the car, I live in Kansas city. He has a good reputation and has done multiple 1000+hp cars. Headers are kooks 1 7/8. Would getting rid of my cats help alot besides the intake manifold and throttle body?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you've got problems.

Justin tuned my car as well. 553/501 on BTR2, Corsa CAI, gutted cats on stock manifolds. Did the same numbers when I put headers on the car - at this point, I'm intake limited.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:58 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 792 Likes on 536 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Your torque seems low, my numbers were identical to cseaman's with AHP heads milled .030, Airaid CAI, HPA Stage 2 cam, no headers and stock intake.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:21 AM
JSBzo6c6
Cruising

Originally Posted by cseaman
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you've got problems.

Justin tuned my car as well. 553/501 on BTR2, Corsa CAI, gutted cats on stock manifolds. Did the same numbers when I put headers on the car - at this point, I'm intake limited.
what kind of problems besides needing more air?

Quick Reply: Btr stage 4 dyno results