Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Experience after race porting heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:35 PM
CASEWORER
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

For what it's worth there is a awful lot of AHP Heads on the cars on the fast list. As far as power goes on a apples to apples comparison I have absolutely no Idea How AHP stacks up against WCCH, AI, LME or any other vendors head work. I do however stand by my previous statement Since the motor is stock the port work without a cam or headers is absolutely useless. I have yet to see any vendors headwork make more HP without milling on a stock motor. Now having said that it takes the right combination of parts to make 550 to 600 RWHP. It takes a well thought out build to make 600 RWHP, guys like Josh B. and jayyw can attest to this because they have done it and can tell you it is neither easy or cheap.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:43 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
If I was going for power, AHP would not be high on my list. Reliability? Sure.
I would love to know why you think that rather than just throwing out your opinion. What research on porting/testing/tuning/dyno numbers and real world stats do you have to base your statement on?

Originally Posted by Josh B.
I would not choose AHP as a vendor with the goals you mentioned. Guides, yes. For horsepower, there are better options, WCCH, AI, LME, BES. My two cents. If you are still in the market for a cam I would definitely advise that you shop around.
You can read my reply to Jayyw, and I'll add that Kohle and his Team do amazing port work. I currently have the 2nd fastest Trap Speed on the fast lists top 10 N/A class and I am proud to mention I had AHP work my heads thank you. Still figuring out the new setup with limited passes and still hit 9.91@142.75. Mark my words the car will go 145 this fall when this humid weather drops. Saying they don't perform or make top power is the most ignorant crap I've seen in a bit.

Every week there is someone making a thread that goes along the lines of "just installed AHP heads, please help figure out why _____ is different than I thought it would be"
Just like every week another praises mamo's stuff. Oh wait, didn't you just throw him under the bus? This forum is becoming so opinion based rather than real facts the info is becoming less and less reliable. You guys have a bad case of verbal diarrhea and will just about spit out anything. Do your homework, do some testing, then you talk.

And to the OP. You did the right thing getting the work done with AHP. The race porting will need a few supporting mods so when you choose the proper cam, that low end torque and throttle response should be back. We've seen bone stock heads trap 145+ on a very well put together package. that being said, you can see even untouched they are quite special and have more left in them than the cars intake and exhaust. Just throwing a big check at all the most expensive parts doesn't always give you the best results, contrary to what here would believe. However, choosing the right parts with some thought to your wants and needs will go much further.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:44 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CASEWORER
For what it's worth there is a awful lot of AHP Heads on the cars on the fast list. As far as power goes on a apples to apples comparison I have absolutely no Idea How AHP stacks up against WCCH, AI, LME or any other vendors head work. I do however stand by my previous statement Since the motor is stock the port work without a cam or headers is absolutely useless. I have yet to see any vendors headwork make more HP without milling on a stock motor. Now having said that it takes the right combination of parts to make 550 to 600 RWHP. It takes a well thought out build to make 600 RWHP, guys like Josh B. and jayyw can attest to this because they have done it and can tell you it is neither easy or cheap.
this car made 519 on AI ported heads basically stock everything no mill. Some claimed happy dyno but take it for what it’s worth. Factory freak? Maybe.. edit: The AI heads those numbers are STD so they read slightly high.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tune-only.html

I made 509/475 on a mustang dyno SAE corrected, AHP street ported milled/heads. Stock exhaust/no cats, ported Ls7 Intake and CIA. Some claimed happy dyno for me however, I saw a stock 2018 5.0 coyote(10 speed) make 400rwhp on the same dyno. That 5.0 coyote makes 416-420 all day on dynojets. I know where I stand

Last edited by JesC6Z; 07-30-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmextra
Just like every week another praises mamo's stuff. Oh wait, didn't you just throw him under the bus? This forum is becoming so opinion based rather than real facts the info is becoming less and less reliable. You guys have a bad case of verbal diarrhea and will just about spit out anything. Do your homework, do some testing, then you talk.
Define "throw him under the bus". If you mean share my results, they yes, I shared my results. Sorry not sorry.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:06 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Define "throw him under the bus". If you mean share my results, they yes, I shared my results. Sorry not sorry.
Don't have to define anything. You praised him forever and then after you put down some miles and something happened you trashed him on the forum, rather then try to figure out what exactly happened, you jump ships and go a different route. Which of course, you're fully entitled to do so, but after all that talk and praise, you so quickly turned your back. I'm not a mamo superfan but the guy offered you to help you out and get to the bottom of the problem. Not sure if you did or not but I personally would have tried to figure out things before going all public on him and yes 100% throw him under the bus. Sharing your results without fully understanding the issue is useless imo.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:32 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Don't have to define anything. You praised him forever and then after you put down some miles and something happened you trashed him on the forum, rather then try to figure out what exactly happened, you jump ships and go a different route. Which of course, you're fully entitled to do so, but after all that talk and praise, you so quickly turned your back. I'm not a mamo superfan but the guy offered you to help you out and get to the bottom of the problem. Not sure if you did or not but I personally would have tried to figure out things before going all public on him and yes 100% throw him under the bus. Sharing your results without fully understanding the issue is useless imo.
I shared the results as fair as I could. I left nothing but room for speculation, people can look at the results and decide what they think. I praised Mamo for awhile, he's a great salesman, he really knows how to tug at people's heart strings, you might make a phone call asking for Item A and he gets you into buying Package A instead. All of this was before I learned of his unethical business dealings, they didn't happen to me, but Mamo used me as a sounding board where he would forward draft emails where he would be screwing other people I consider to be friends. And it wasn't just once, it was multiple times.

Measuring springs is not helping out. I didn't even get an email or a phone call. Why? Because I already shared my results to this forum and Tony knew I probably couldn't be bullied into deleting them. A buddy of mine, another Mamo customer, shared some results to facebook. In response, Tony told him "Bottom line is your free to handle this situation publicly however you like but don't forget there may be a time down the road your in need of my services or some additional helpful advice etc. You know (and I have proven) I bend over backwards for all my customers before during and after the sale but I certainly wont be so willing to help if I see this type of thing continue.....if roles were reversed would you?"
So his customer service is conditional on the customer's silence. Professional

Mamo bullies his customers when they share things publicly. He is not concerned with helping. It's a bad situation. Contrastly, I knew Richard from WCCH from previous business with him and he's very professional, he doesn't send 1000 word emails explaining to you how wrong you are, constantly giving his resume to people, constantly upselling people.

If I wanted to throw him under the bus I would just make a summary of the ethics I've seen out of Tony, but I really don't care to. It mostly happened to other people, I was just a sounding board.

Also, when did sharing dyno results become "throwing someone under the bus" Makes zero sense to me. Hit me up on PM if you care to know more. You seem fairly intelligent, you've come off a little cocky here but I don't mind. If you're so into AHP I can't imagine you would let anyone criticize them, nothing wrong with being loyal, but the rational person reading this can see just how biased you are so the credible of your responses is questionable at best.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:10 AM
ldscamaross
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My goals are probably closer to 550 rwhp. Im not trying to break any records just have a car that is fun to drive. I have been doing my research and planning on getting certain parts down the road. Im not just throwing stuff at it with out research and expecting it to work. My understanding of the race porting was to increase the flow numbers in the higher rpm range and on several forum discussions that is what was discussed it would do. I installed the heads knowing that they will breathe better with a cam and headers which I will do eventually. When I spoke with ahp I told them my goals that I would eventually do headers and some sort of cam but i wanted good reliability, have good drivability. I never planned to race it. Originally I was going to get street port and then we switched over to race port after our discussion air flow at the top end. Im not sure where we miscommunicated. I didnt mill the heads because in utah we only have 91 octane and wanted a reliable build. I looked several places including talking with ahp and that was what was recommended for my situation. Ahp did a great job on the heads. I just wasnt expecting it to drive the way it was, thus my original questions.

By getting a different street cam and a tune and supporting mods will that low end come back or should I look at changing the heads for the right setup?
Old 07-31-2018, 01:35 AM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I would love to know why you think that rather than just throwing out your opinion. What research on porting/testing/tuning/dyno numbers and real world stats do you have to base your statement on?

You can read my reply to Jayyw, and I'll add that Kohle and his Team do amazing port work. I currently have the 2nd fastest Trap Speed on the fast lists top 10 N/A class and I am proud to mention I had AHP work my heads thank you. Still figuring out the new setup with limited passes and still hit 9.91@142.75. Mark my words the car will go 145 this fall when this humid weather drops. Saying they don't perform or make top power is the most ignorant crap I've seen in a bit.

And to the OP. You did the right thing getting the work done with AHP. The race porting will need a few supporting mods so when you choose the proper cam, that low end torque and throttle response should be back. We've seen bone stock heads trap 145+ on a very well put together package. that being said, you can see even untouched they are quite special and have more left in them than the cars intake and exhaust. Just throwing a big check at all the most expensive parts doesn't always give you the best results, contrary to what here would believe. However, choosing the right parts with some thought to your wants and needs will go much further.
I have no dog in this fight but I agree. Forums in general lead to too much groupthink and bandwagon trends, often times with little facts.

Originally Posted by ldscamaross
My goals are probably closer to 550 rwhp. Im not trying to break any records just have a car that is fun to drive. I have been doing my research and planning on getting certain parts down the road. Im not just throwing stuff at it with out research and expecting it to work. My understanding of the race porting was to increase the flow numbers in the higher rpm range and on several forum discussions that is what was discussed it would do. I installed the heads knowing that they will breathe better with a cam and headers which I will do eventually. When I spoke with ahp I told them my goals that I would eventually do headers and some sort of cam but i wanted good reliability, have good drivability. I never planned to race it. Originally I was going to get street port and then we switched over to race port after our discussion air flow at the top end. Im not sure where we miscommunicated. I didnt mill the heads because in utah we only have 91 octane and wanted a reliable build. I looked several places including talking with ahp and that was what was recommended for my situation. Ahp did a great job on the heads. I just wasnt expecting it to drive the way it was, thus my original questions.

By getting a different street cam and a tune and supporting mods will that low end come back or should I look at changing the heads for the right setup?
I would start with a tune, even with just ported heads and go from there. Honestly you can hit 550rwhp with stock fixed heads, cam, headers, intake and CAI. I'd talk to someone like Pat G or BTR, explain your goals and they'll set you up with the right cam that meets your hp and powerband goals.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:45 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow Josh lol. Now the cats really out the bag. Tell us how you really feel hahahaha. We never believed his kool-aid from the beginning to be honest but that's a whole other topic.
Anyways the bus comment was 10% of my point but it seems to have struck a nerve. My point was that you claiming that you wouldn't choose AHP as a vendor for power wasn't based on actual experience or research. I wanted to add and show that AHP make great power and for those who don't, are missing some key components, or u tuned, or something else is going on. The work is great, the flow is great, the numbers at the track back it up. Not cars and coffee dyno sheets. Naming several other companies over AHP based on absolutely nothing is it not fair to AHP especially since you have no experience with them as far as I know which means you are once again going on personal feelings rather than facts.
​​​​​
Old 07-31-2018, 08:36 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

I don't follow any trends and do my due diligence before I make a purchase. I only speak on what I have found in research, talking to my tuner, or seen with my own eyes. I never once said anything about time slips. You're smart enough to know that if you can't drive worth a ****, even the baddest combo will be slow. Believe it or not, some people still live and die by a dyno sheet. If you're not buying a package that's been tried and tested, most people are just throwing parts together. Then there's the 4% of people who are carefully planning each part of the build to put together a motor that makes great power, efficiently.

Clearly I've got you all riled up for stating my opinion. It's great you've had success with your setup. But don't forget, your results are not the norm. You have a very well spec'd camshaft that ties everything together. No one else has that. I browsed the fast list and did not see anyone with AHP other than yourself. Maybe I missed them somehow.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:11 AM
spartan8270
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I love lamp..
The following users liked this post:
jayyyw (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:18 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by spartan8270
I love lamp..
Loud noises!
Old 07-31-2018, 12:28 PM
CASEWORER
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ldscamaross

By choosing the correct cam, and getting a good tune you will have no problems I would however put on a set of good quality headers. Like I said before I have a relatively small cam and a ported factory intake and ported throttle body and a set of Kooks 1 7/8 headers car makes 550 RWHP and 512 RWTQ. car is relatively easy to drive. If I had it to do all over again the only thing I think I would change is go with a 2" set of headers as opposed to the 1 7/8.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:52 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't follow any trends and do my due diligence before I make a purchase. I only speak on what I have found in research, talking to my tuner, or seen with my own eyes. I never once said anything about time slips. You're smart enough to know that if you can't drive worth a ****, even the baddest combo will be slow. Believe it or not, some people still live and die by a dyno sheet. If you're not buying a package that's been tried and tested, most people are just throwing parts together. Then there's the 4% of people who are carefully planning each part of the build to put together a motor that makes great power, efficiently.

Clearly I've got you all riled up for stating my opinion. It's great you've had success with your setup. But don't forget, your results are not the norm. You have a very well spec'd camshaft that ties everything together. No one else has that. I browsed the fast list and did not see anyone with AHP other than yourself. Maybe I missed them somehow.
Again, I only mentioned that I would love to see what research you have done to CLAIM that AHP is not the right choice. We are all allowed our opinions and we all have them but I wanted to know why you'd steer away. What exactly did you come up with. Now I will agree with you that my cam is spec'd perfectly to work with the cars entire package that is true. But you are again basing that on my results, my statements and not from any type of research. That is my point entirely. We've have done real research. Bench flowing, spintron testing, and dyno testing then to the proving grounds at the track. You and Josh simply stating that you'd stand clear with horsepower goals is not only nonsense, it's also hurtful to a great vendor that delivers what they promise. I put down serious power with these heads, and still using a fast intake which would be considered far inferior by most, and have much less going on under the hood.

The OP mentioned that he went with the race port heads as he had FUTURE plans to compliment the heads. That's the issue right there. Plain and simple. Not what vendor he chose, not that the heads are not well performing enough. He simply has to understand, until the future mods are there, there is going to be a trade off down low. Ls7 heads flow great out of the box and the limitations of the engine are far more evident in the intake and exhaust and is where I would have started but we all know the panic of driving with unfixed heads.

Last edited by rpmextra; 07-31-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:19 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Again, I only mentioned that I would love to see what research you have done to CLAIM that AHP is not the right choice. We are all allowed our opinions and we all have them but I wanted to know why you'd steer away. What exactly did you come up with. Now I will agree with you that my cam is spec'd perfectly to work with the cars entire package that is true. But you are again basing that on my results, my statements and not from any type of research. That is my point entirely. We've have done real research. Flow benching, spintron testing, and dyno testing then to the proving grounds at the track. You and Josh simply stating that you'd stand clear with horsepower goals is not only nonsense, it's also hurtful to a great vendor that delivers what they promise. I put down serious power with these heads, and still using a fast intake which would be considered far inferior by most, and have much less going on under the hood.

The OP mentioned that he went with the race port heads as he had FUTURE plans to compliment the heads. That's the issue right there. Plain and simple. Not what vendor he chose, not that the heads are not well performing enough. He simply has to understand, until the future mods are there, there is going to be a trade off down low. Ls7 heads flow great out of the box and the limitations of the engine are far more evident in the intake and exhaust and is where I would have started but we all know the panic of driving with unfixed heads.
I've already stated where I got my info from, not sure what else you want? I don't have anything to prove to you. It's not my fault you're upset with my opinion. Me stating that I would not use AHP heads is not hurtful to anyone. I am not forcing anyone to not buy AHP's product. Again, it's only my opinion and I'm only one person. If that's all it takes to make a company crumble, makes you wonder how stable that company was to begin with.

I also make great power with my setup. Parts chosen after thorough research. A mix of parts that perform. Nothing custom and all off the shelf.

Now I will agree with you that my cam is spec'd perfectly to work with the cars entire package that is true. But you are again basing that on my results, my statements and not from any type of research. That is my point entirely. We've have done real research. Flow benching, spintron testing, and dyno testing then to the proving grounds at the track.
An opinion is formed BASED off research. An opinion is also not fact. Not sure you understand the concept. You are the only one to do what you're claiming. Are you now saying that your info is false or skewed?

Just because the OP bought (whether up sold or not) the wrong heads for his application, does not change my opinion.
Millenium Z06 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:49 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I've already stated where I got my info from, not sure what else you want? I don't have anything to prove to you. It's not my fault you're upset with my opinion. Me stating that I would not use AHP heads is not hurtful to anyone. I am not forcing anyone to not buy AHP's product. Again, it's only my opinion and I'm only one person. If that's all it takes to make a company crumble, makes you wonder how stable that company was to begin with.

I also make great power with my setup. Parts chosen after thorough research. A mix of parts that perform. Nothing custom and all off the shelf.

An opinion is formed BASED off research. An opinion is also not fact. Not sure you understand the concept. You are the only one to do what you're claiming. Are you now saying that your info is false or skewed?

Just because the OP bought (whether up sold or not) the wrong heads for his application, does not change my opinion.
I simply asked you what exactly have you found in your research and you replied "I don't follow any trends and do my due diligence before I make a purchase. I only speak on what I have found in research, talking to my tuner, or seen with my own eyes." but that doesn't tell me anything whatsoever. I was just hoping you'd expand on that thats all. Im trying to understand why not, rather than I wouldnt use them because I said so.
Theres solid data research and then there is internet he said she said research. I'm not trying to change your mind cause at the end of the day it doesn't matter to me. But you only came on the thread to state your opinion on the heads but refuse to state exactly why. Enlighten us

And don't get ahead of yourself, no one said the company crumble with your opinion.

Last edited by rpmextra; 07-31-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:13 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Not sure who "us" is, since you're the only one the seems bothered by what I said. I may have been inclined to put in some effort to gather the information that I have found had you said it in the manner of this last post. At this point, I have no interest to do so. I have no issue giving out information on anything but when I am almost harassed because of a couple words I posted on the internet, I tend to keep that info to myself. It's all (aside from the numerous dyno sheets on my tuner's computer) a couple keyword searches away. Have fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Experience after race porting heads

Old 07-31-2018, 05:13 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Old 07-31-2018, 05:34 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure who "us" is, since you're the only one the seems bothered by what I said. I may have been inclined to put in some effort to gather the information that I have found had you said it in the manner of this last post. At this point, I have no interest to do so. I have no issue giving out information on anything but when I am almost harassed because of a couple words I posted on the internet, I tend to keep that info to myself. It's all (aside from the numerous dyno sheets on my tuner's computer) a couple keyword searches away. Have fun.
Don't take everything so personal. I'm not trying to harass you in any way. The only thing I was bothered by was that you didn't kinda back up your claim. I have flow charts, I have dyno data, and track stats and results to show that AHP are in fact great heads and play a big role in my recent success in a 9s pursuit. I just want to attempt to understand why we come to such different conclusions on the same.product.
​​​Now you finally said something towards to right direction in dyno sheets. How recent? Maybe Kohle could confirm but perhaps his porting program has evolved since? There are many good choices and I feel if we are sticking with oem castings AHP should be in the convo. Making well over 600rwhp is not a problem with their heads and you already mentioned their reliability which should also be important. Are they the best? I can't tell you, but they perform as promised no less.
jayyyw (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

OP

You are in West Jordan, close to a GREAT shop. Why not talk with them. They constantly pump out 600+rwhp HC cars.

Quick Reply: Experience after race porting heads