Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Experience after race porting heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:13 PM
ldscamaross
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Experience after race porting heads

Hey guys
I just want to get your feedback and experience of those that have gotten a raceport job when they redid their heads. I recently had my heads redone from ahp and they did a great job, the heads look awesome. I got the stage 4 package with btr duel springs w titanium retainers pm guides and the race porting with minimum milling. The car is a 09 z06 stock with a bb axle back exhaust.

Im curious how your cars drive. In very low rmps the car feels very lazy, not snappy and quick when you hit the throttle. I have an 07 z06 completely stock and it seems stronger and much snappier with quicker throttle response. I drove them back to back so I could tell the difference and compare.

I am eventually planning on installing a mild/medium duty cam like the ahp 116 or something a little more aggressive. I didn't want to sacrifice all the low end torque to get a little more power up top.
I was planning on driving it a while and then doing the cam and getting a tune.
From your guys experience is this lethargic performance expected and due to the race porting or after a tune will it be more like it was before? By getting the above mentioned cam will I still have the same driving feel with a little more power all around?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:30 PM
CASEWORER
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ldscamaross
Hey guys
I just want to get your feedback and experience of those that have gotten a raceport job when they redid their heads. I recently had my heads redone from ahp and they did a great job, the heads look awesome. I got the stage 4 package with btr duel springs w titanium retainers pm guides and the race porting with minimum milling. The car is a 09 z06 stock with a bb axle back exhaust.

Im curious how your cars drive. In very low rmps the car feels very lazy, not snappy and quick when you hit the throttle. I have an 07 z06 completely stock and it seems stronger and much snappier with quicker throttle response. I drove them back to back so I could tell the difference and compare.

I am eventually planning on installing a mild/medium duty cam like the ahp 116 or something a little more aggressive. I didn't want to sacrifice all the low end torque to get a little more power up top.
From your guys experience is this lethargic performance expected and due to the race porting or after a tune will it be more like it was before? By getting the above mentioned cam will I still have the same driving feel with a little more power all around?

The porting without a cam is absolutely useless. These motors love to be able to breathe both in and out. If you want to wake it up definitely go with the cam. Now you will get more air in but you also need to let the air out, a good set of 1 7/8 or 2" Kooks or ARH or LG's will do the job nicely. I have the AHP package 4 heads with street porting mild cam and 1 7/8 headers the car runs like a raped ape makes 550 RWHP and 512 RWTQ car is very streetable
Old 07-29-2018, 07:32 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

If I was going for power, AHP would not be high on my list. Reliability? Sure.
The following users liked this post:
Millenium Z06 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:52 PM
ldscamaross
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My end goal is around 550-600 whp and reliability is a high priority for me. I did the port work, springs, now so I wouldn't have to take the heads off again when I did the cam. I would also add intake and headers for the whole package.

Should the car really feel less torquey than it was before. Would a tune restore some of that? I know race porting extends the length of the runners to increase flow up top.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:02 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey guys

from doing lots of research when I did mine, a race ported head or any other aggressive porting is best suited with a higher compression. Milling the heads or thinner head Gasket. Im sure if you bump up the compression and help that engine breath it will come alive. Port the intake for now and get rid of the cats. Then get it tuned that should help.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:10 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

I would not choose AHP as a vendor with the goals you mentioned. Guides, yes. For horsepower, there are better options, WCCH, AI, LME, BES. My two cents. If you are still in the market for a cam I would definitely advise that you shop around.
Millenium Z06 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:34 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Hey guys

my .2 cents won’t be anything technical based, I also went with AHP, street port though and the main reason was reliability and customer service. I read damn near every thread on here about heads the replacement that “fixes” the guide issue. My 3 head builder choices ended up being AHP/Vengeance Racing/LME. I sent LME no less than 4 fully completed car specs requesting heads quote for my set up....didn’t get a single response. Vengeance replied to my emails promptly and answered my questions and concerns as well(I would recommend them also, not that they need my approval though) AHP just went what I felt was above and beyond and that made dropping 5k much easier lol. For my cam I had a similar method, chose 3 companies and let the chips fall where they may. Cam Motion/BTR/Tony Mamo. This one was under time constraints so I had to make a decision quickly. No reply from BTR and that’s to me and my mechanic requesting info on a blower cam. Tony Mamo replied to my emails and calls personally and I think would be absolutely amazing to work with in the future unfortunately I had to make a decision before I could actually link up with him. Ended up going with cam motion and a guy named Bob over there was absolutely awesome to work with! Good luck with the car man! 🇺🇸

Last edited by 73DBG; 07-30-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 07-30-2018, 08:49 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Was the car tuned after? Data logs? Could be pinging from milling and pulling timing. The car should not slow down with heads. All these threads about cars not making good power, and the concept that they just need more and more parts thrown at them is getting ridiculous. A good set of heads should pick up power everywhere, even on a stock car with no other mods.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

When someone says "race port", that to me is all in. Intake swirl damn completely removed, runners enlarged, throats opened up, bowl shaping and blending...... When all that is done, airspeed is reduced at lower rpm, and idle/off idle characteristics suffer from it. Emissions are also a concern and it's unlikely to pass a sniff test with even the stock camshaft. And contrary to general belief, flow bench numbers will not look all that fantastic either. A porting job like this will not be for a street car. Total valve lift will be a minimum of 0.700".

So when you say "race port", what does that really mean?

Regardless of all that, you need to have the air models recalibrated after you change anything in the engine that will affect air flow. The speed density model is especially important, as it's predictive. SD is also what helps make throttle response more snappy.
The following 3 users liked this post by Michael_D:
Millenium Z06 (07-30-2018), MTPZ06 (07-31-2018), Z.06 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:36 AM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
If I was going for power, AHP would not be high on my list. Reliability? Sure.
Your comment suggests that power is more important than reliability. Anyone can make huge power if they disregard concern for reliability. Great advice!

Originally Posted by Josh B.
I would not choose AHP as a vendor with the goals you mentioned. Guides, yes. For horsepower, there are better options, WCCH, AI, LME, BES. My two cents. If you are still in the market for a cam I would definitely advise that you shop around.
I'm not sure you can really pounce the vendor just yet with only minimal details on the build, tune, and data for that particular car. There could be a LOT of things going on.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Steve
Your comment suggests that power is more important than reliability. Anyone can make huge power if they disregard concern for reliability. Great advice!

I'm not sure you can really pounce the vendor just yet with only minimal details on the build, tune, and data for that particular car. There could be a LOT of things going on.
And your comment suggest that the high performing ones are not reliable, which is not the case. You can have your cake and eat it too.
jayyyw (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:37 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

IT's definitely a trade-off but it's not have one or the other. Don't assume.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:01 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Every week there is someone making a thread that goes along the lines of "just installed AHP heads, please help figure out why _____ is different than I thought it would be"
Old 07-30-2018, 04:39 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
When someone says "race port", that to me is all in. Intake swirl damn completely removed, runners enlarged, throats opened up, bowl shaping and blending...... When all that is done, airspeed is reduced at lower rpm, and idle/off idle characteristics suffer from it. Emissions are also a concern and it's unlikely to pass a sniff test with even the stock camshaft. And contrary to general belief, flow bench numbers will not look all that fantastic either. A porting job like this will not be for a street car. Total valve lift will be a minimum of 0.700".

So when you say "race port", what does that really mean?

Regardless of all that, you need to have the air models recalibrated after you change anything in the engine that will affect air flow. The speed density model is especially important, as it's predictive. SD is also what helps make throttle response more snappy.
Hit the nail on the head.
Race ported heads have much larger runners than our street ported heads thus the intake air charge on the race ported heads has a much lower velocity. This translates to slowet or slugish feeling down low.
Race pirted heads are designed for the rpm range a race car spends most its time (4500,5k rpms on up).
Our street ported heads are desiged for street/strip/light track use with stock to mild cam and rpms where most street cars spend their life (1500-6500 rpms).

If anyone has any questions or needs any further details on any of yhe above feel free to give us a call 310-326-2399 or shoot us an email hp@americanheritageperformance.com
rpmextra (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:07 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Hey guys

Without a cam, intake possibly more cubes and gears, race porting makes the ports larger which slows the port speed which kills torque
Old 07-30-2018, 05:11 PM
Millenium Z06

My end goal is around 550-600 whp and reliability is a high priority for me. I did the port work, springs, now so I wouldn't have to take the heads off again when I did the cam. I would also add intake and headers for the whole package.

Should the car really feel less torquey than it was before. Would a tune restore some of that? I know race porting extends the length of the runners to increase flow up top.

Race porting enlarges the runners, not lengthen them, a true race port would be a high rpm benefit but a low rpm detriment. Port velocity = torque/power. Unnecessarily larger ports create a lazy head and slow port velocity which hurts torque and creates the condition you now have.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Millenium Z06

Not necessarily, you can have both. AHP heads have not proven themselves longterm IMO vs heads that make more power.

​​​​​​​
See Michael D's post

Get notified of new replies

To Experience after race porting heads

Old 07-30-2018, 05:39 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

I’m a bit confused on why you chose a race port OP? Did you call or email with anyone at AHP? If so did you discuss current and future modifications and plans for the cars intended use? If “yes” is the answer for any of those questions above, and someone from AHP advised you to go with “race porting” on a daily driver or weekend toy with just the most basic of bolt ons and zero intention of doing the modifications race ported heads would benefit from, as well as zero intentions of tracking the car in the near future.....I think most would agree you should be a little upset about that for sure.

Now if the anwser to the few questions above is “no” than there’s really nothing anyone could have done about that, builders and tuners can only advise with the information provided by the customer, I’ve ran into the fact that my lack of knowledge or ability to articulate what specifically I’m wanting lead to my expectations being different from what I assumed was going to happen or be done. Specifics matter in these situations...... if you just bring a bunch of part to a shop and say “install this stuff for me” or just start “adding to cart” and clicking options without fully understanding what all that will do and how it will effect your desired outcome ***** not gonna turn out well.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:50 PM
Millenium Z06

Gonna take a lot of cam to make those race ports work and if that wasn't your goal, you'll probably be looking for a new set of heads
Old 07-30-2018, 08:58 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Hit the nail on the head.
Race ported heads have much larger runners than our street ported heads thus the intake air charge on the race ported heads has a much lower velocity. This translates to slowet or slugish feeling down low.
Race pirted heads are designed for the rpm range a race car spends most its time (4500,5k rpms on up).
Our street ported heads are desiged for street/strip/light track use with stock to mild cam and rpms where most street cars spend their life (1500-6500 rpms).

If anyone has any questions or needs any further details on any of yhe above feel free to give us a call 310-326-2399 or shoot us an email hp@americanheritageperformance.com
Yes! What hew said!! I absolutely agree!!!
Before you modify, please understand your goals and mod to those goals. ALL mods require some compromise!
Z.06 (07-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Experience after race porting heads